fagnaml

Slide-Out Controller Failer

I now have had two Lippert brand slide out controllers fail within the last twelve months.   The controller for the passenger side slide-out failed last October 2017 and the controller for the driver side slide-out failed this past weekend (September 2018).   Both controllers are original to my 2007 model year motorhome.  My questions to the forum are:

1) Are failures of the slide-out controller a common occurrence for older motorhomes?

2) Does anyone keep a new slide-out controller in their inventory of "spare parts"?

The Lippert slide-out controller for my motorhome is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace -->   https://store.lci1.com/controller-2-070-x-1-5-part-10665

Having a spare controller would reduce the frustration and stress when a controller unexpectedly fails.   Your thoughts please!   Thanks!

My experience with Lippert/Atwood is that at some point they will discontinue an item and you will not find any replacement. If you are going to keep your motor home for some time, I would buy a spare. 

Carl, as you an see by the above posts there are two different thoughts oh controllers based on the links given. My controller is like what like Dkruezen posted (like but different 0 same size different configuration) My controllers, which are basically computer chips maintain synchronization between the motors. The chips have a memory function and count the RPM on extending/retracting the slide. In my case, and I don't know about others, the motors can get out of sync, or another way of putting it - looses its memory. That is when I push the reset button 6 times and hold it on the 7th push until the light flashes. Then I can go in and move the slide. The biggest problem with this override is that it is just that, an override and it bypasses all safety systems of the slide system. Typically a slide side should not be moved more than 2 inches from its other side motor. There is a lot of torque on the motors and when it is in the override mode sever damage can be done to the slide. Again, this is for my system and I'll wager that your older model is different.

Even my 2008 had a synchronization problem from time to time with it being a completely hydraulic system, and I had to push the reset button and walk the slide in with the in and out buttons. Those slides were Kwikee slides.

So my opinion is that the symptoms of slide controller problems is low or no voltage getting to the motor called "Hall Effect" or controller looses memory and requires the manual override to reset it. And my other thought is that it controls the voltage to the motors to maintain synchronization so that both ends come in at the same time.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it until the experts get here.

I found out today, I have a separate controller for each slide!  Also, had AC, put in a 6" roller, a foot apart, under the fridge side of couch and under fridge, non of this would have happened. 

Oh, she's like Earlene, she plays cards. (Visa, MC, AmEx, etc.)   I don't know why they like to play those cards so much. Canasta is so much cheaper.

Quick update.  The new Lippert controller arrived late this past Thursday (9/6/18) and installed this past Friday.  The slide-out now retracts with no problems.  I had Reynolds Mobile RV Repair here in Houston replace the controller so I could watch and learn.   Eric Reynolds (owner) explained to me that over time the contacts in the simple Lippert controllers "burn out" an can no longer carry the amps required to power the slide-out motor.   Having seen the controller replaced, it is a simple, ten minute effort.  Eric inspected the gears, rollers, etc. on the slide out and all are in good shape

Also similar to Carl, each of my slide-outs has its own controller.  My opposing living room slide-outs are Lippert "2x2" electric slide-outs each with it's own motor, controller, and "extend/retract" push button --> https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/assemblies/Slideouts/2_x_2_Electric_Through_Frame_Slide_Out_Center_Drive_Assembly.pdf

I also learned from Eric that my bedroom slide-out (which is the queen size bed) is a Norco Accu-Slide --> http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem/accuslide/index.shtml   The motor and controller for this slide-out are located behind the top decorative molding meaning more difficult access for a controller replacement or other repairs/adjustments.

All is good again until the next thing breaks......