f438921

2005 Monaco Dynasty cooling fan module repair.

When I bought my coach I noticed the cooling fan kept cutting in and out randomly and found that if I wiggled the harness going into the cooling fan control module it would cut in and out, so I thought maybe a broken wire inside the insulation but that wasn't it, I found the problem was inside the module and when I checked the price of it I almost croaked so I thought I have to try and repair it. I first went at it from the underside and cut out the hard rubber that was poured in to protect the module circuit board and to keep people like me out. I could see the loose wire in the circuit board but wasn't able to solder it from this side, so I thought ok I know where the failed spot is, so I turned it over and very carefully drilled a large hole through the aluminum case and could plainly see the loose wire in the circuit board. I then proceeded to solder it in properly and then filled the hole in with (right stuff gasket maker/silicone) and after it hardened I plugged it in and it worked fine and has for three years now. I just thought I had to share this to try and help someone else out as I believe its probably a pattern failure problem. 

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

A sole mate !  Love it, a walk on the wild side.  Like I have mentioned. When something is broken - hard to do to much damage. 

Cold solder connections can be caused when circuit boards are still to cold, when they are passed through a wave soldering station.  They pass the test station only to fail at some point in the future. Often referred to as Monday morning boards. Some went to piece work and would never fail.

I have spent over 50 years working in electronics - RND, Manufacturing, Testing, Field work and environmental. Couple  that with the curiosity of a 5 year old - makes for an interesting journey through life.

Ok, if I copy you handy work and put on file ?

Rich.

Engine cooling fan right? Took NASA soldering course at Redstone Arsenal as part of my Nike training. I always felt like there insistence on perfection was worthwhile.

I had a part time job in High School, 10 hours on Sat.  Did the circuit boards, before and after soldering!  Little company in Santa Monica, CA. called Radar Relay..very controlled temp, before/after.

Rich, it was a block from Rand Corp. 😁

I have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Bishop IV.

The water temperature always runs between 189 - 213. 225 when really hot (warning light came on). This average temperature seems too high to me.

When I purchased the Motorhome, the salesman said it ran hot, so I'm not sure what temperature it should be. Did hot temperatures on your water gauge cause you to look at the cooling fan?  What temperature did your 2005 Monaco run at? 

IMG_4321.jpg

nbk7ak2, welcome to the forum. 

Is the fan coming on when it should?  Have you checked the radiator and cac are clean? Have you measured the temperature at the radiator to verify the gage is right? 

Hopefully the OP or someone with more experience with a Monaco will see this. The last post was September 6, 2018 

Bill

nbk7ak2, Welcome to the FMCA Forums

When was the last time the radiator was cleaned between the innercooler and radiator? 

Do you have any other method to verify that gauge is accurate? Let me explain, our Monaco product ran hot, especially pulling hills, I installed a Scan Gauge D and began to monitor coolant temp along with a few other gauges, low and behold its just a gauge problem and the warning light on ours is triggered by the same sensor.  

When I get back from my trip, I will have someone look at the radiator and gauge. Installing a gauge is great idea.  Thanks!  I will come back and post my results.

Sam, Welcome, I have a 2002 Dynasty. Mine has all ways run around 178 to 185. Does you Dynasty have a Trip Tec? We have one and I can check the actual temp of both the engine and transmission. We did have an issue one time in Colorado in some really long rolling hills. All I did was down shift to increase may RPMs and the over heating stopped.

One thing a Monaco and I am sure most coaches have is a low coolant alarm. Have you checked the coolant levels? If you are not sure of the cleanliness of your radiator it may be time to get out the SUPER Simple Green.

Herman