Azzie23

Towable vehicle

Welcome to the forum. Glad to you have you here.

To better answer your question, more information is needed. What will you be using the towed vehicle for? Do you prefer a car or truck? Big or small? Will you be towing on a dolly, trailer, or with all four wheels down? Etc. Etc. Etc.

A good place to start is the Towing Guide from FMCA. https://familyrvingmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/TowableLineup-Update_FMC0118.pdf

This lists current vehicles listed by the manufacturer as towable. Of course, there are also guides for past years so if you want a used vehicle just look in the guide for those years. The guides are on the FMCA magazine web page. You'll have to be logged in to view them.

Welcome!

What make, model coach do you have & what size hitch!   Other than that, most prefer any that you can tow 4 wheels down!

Good advice above.  Research the guides for vehicles that can be towed four down, especially if automatic transmission is a priority.  As a rookie, the only thing I didn't think about is the height of the vehicle's frame from the road.  Towing the Malibu I purchased has gone very well so far but I do have a little concern about the tow bar and hitch adapter being so low (about 13" above the road).  Most towbar manufacturers state that the towbar should be within 3" of being level.  I purchased an 8" drop down adapter to tow the Malibu, which makes it pretty level.  I'm thinking of checking the measurements and seeing if a 6" drop down adapter will work and have a little more room under the hitch to help avoid bottoming out.

If I were looking to replace the Malibu, I think I'd drop a few more bucks and think about getting one of the most popular toads, a Jeep although I'm not impressed with their customer satisfaction ratings.   But, several of their models are known for being fairly easy to set up as toads and do have a higher chassis height.

Think used...You don't roll miles on the odometer...but, the other components take a beating!  Make sure you keep it lubed, I use the coach mileage for ref.:)

3 hours ago, scbwr said:

Research the guides for vehicles that can be towed four down, especially if automatic transmission is a priority. 

scbwr, be aware that many manual transmissions are not towable 4 down. That is why it is important to check every model for its quirks about towing. My CR-V all wheel drive can be towed 4 down but not on a dolly.  

Bill

22 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

scbwr, be aware that many manual transmissions are not towable 4 down. That is why it is important to check every model for its quirks about towing. My CR-V all wheel drive can be towed 4 down but not on a dolly.  

Bill

Agreed....I was aware of that!

We have a 2019 Thor Hurricane34j and we tow a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4..
Jeep has the best vehicles to tow 4 down. 
We have a complete Roadmaster tow system. Roadmaster Base Plates and electronics, Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, Roadmaster Invisibrake 8700. 
we wanted the simplest tow system. Just put Jeep transfer case in Neutral and hook vehicle to motorhome. Turn on lights on motorhome and it will charge battery on Jeep.  Very happy with this setup.  

186853E0-11F2-488B-BEC8-67B508921CD3.jpeg

On 6/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, Badmanrick said:

We have a 2019 Thor Hurricane34j and we tow a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4..

Nice looking coach and toad!