basspond51

Fuel stops at the flying J. Any discounts on fuel

It's strange when I compare Flying J prices through Gas Buddy. In some parts of the country they are within 10 cents or so to other stations. In other areas they are 30-40 cents higher, sometimes even more. I'd love to know how they set their prices. They must have some type of algorithm to set these. Just doesn't make sense on the surface though how they can stay in business when other stations are so much lower, unless maybe they do this in areas where the other stations are just too inconvenient for commercial truckers to get to.

My guess is there are much better discount programs for the commercial accounts than available to the general public, much better than the Good Sams program.

Bill

Flying J was built on servicing the trucking community. He would not have built one that was inconvenient for his customers. The founder started catering to RV owners also. Maybe Gas Buddy gets it wrong? Have never used their site, but the prices that I saw when it was Flying J were consistent. Pilot of course now owns Flying J. There was a Pilot just west of Knoxville on I-40 a very few exits from one of the busiest truck fueling exits in the country.  Flying J, Petro, and TA were all there . Trucks got off for one reason. Fuel. Funny though that the very nearby Pilot was competitive. However further west in lonely Cookville Tenn. Pilots price  was twenty cents or more higher. Their CEO is one aggressive business man. Doesn't make him a bad person though. Perhaps that is why prices now jump around a bit. Back in the day, they didn't.

Well, all I know, is that Flying J/Pilot headquarters is in Knoxville, Tenn...also, where the CEO & Owner lives! A family buss. Jimmy Haslam!  Interesting read.

I can buy diesel at the local Murphy Oil, that's "Walmart" for 22 cents less than the local FJ, but next to impossible to drive a 42 footer plus toad onto that lot and get positioned close enough to put fuel into the rig. The four wheelers will do anything possible to help make it worse. During the off season months that we do not travel, I buy five gallons at a time, take that home and put that into the coach weekly until full.  

Kay, I feel your pain! :(  The reason I moved my Cigarette boats from Galveston Island to Clear Lake, TX.  was fuel.  The HOA decided that it was unsafe to fill inboards at the fuel dock...5 blocks from my dock! 🤬 When I built my first house, there was no HOA.  They caused 2 things to happen, 17 boats left and the owner shut down the fuel dock!  Still is.  

I know this is an old topic but wanted to add thoughts for those that shop at Kroger grocery stores and have a Kroger discount card.   Many Shell service stations across the country honor Kroger Fuel Points.  Near my home in Katy, TX there is a one year old Shell station at I-10 and the Grand Parkway that I can easily maneuver my 39 foot motorhome into / out off.   The Shell diesel when I topped off my tank two weeks ago was priced at $2.99/gallon when the Love's and Pilot truck stops a few miles west of my home on I-10 had their diesel prices at $3.19/gallon.  I used my Kroger Fuel Points which lowered the Shell diesel price by 10 cents / gallon to $2.89/gallon which was a rather large 30 cents / gallon discount to Love's / Pilot's pricing.

My refining / marketing company typically markets B5 (i.e. 5% or less biodiesel in the blend) as at that low amount of biodiesel, the "blend" meets all specifications of "conventional" diesel, and using a small amount of biodiesel allows my company to meet EPA renewable fuels standards.   Also, for B5 blends, no pump labeling is required and no changes are required (e.g. different types of gaskets, seals and metallurgy) for diesel storage systems, pumps, etc.

For biodiesel blends with 6 - 20% biodiesel content, the FTC requires that pumps be labeled with a "Biodiesel Blend" sticker --> https://regi.com/docs/default-source/marketing-collateral/reg-pump-labeling-requirements-fact-sheet.pdf?sfvrsn=6&sfvrsn=6   My company made the decision to not sell B6+ biodiesel blends given the large capital investment required to upgrade gaskets, seals, metallurgy, etc.

I've travelled enough in south Texas, the Texas Hill Country and south Louisiana to learn that most truck stops (Love's, Pilot, Buc-ee's , etc. only sell biodiesel blends with less than 5% biodiesel content as they also wisely chose not to invest in the many upgrades to handle higher biodiesel content blends.   I have a small "mom and pop" Texaco truck stop near my home that does sell 5-20% biodiesel blends.  I never re-fuel at that location.  

I hope the forum finds this info useful and I apologize for opening an old thread....

Mike, no apology needed...we welcome good information!  Coming from you, we know it's reliable!  Go Tigers!!!

Looks like this thread took a real left turn.

Please, let's get back to the original topic: Fuel stops at the flying J. Any discounts on fuel

Thanks.

Brett/Moderator

Sorry....To directly answer the OP's question, the only discounts available to rvers are through Good Sam.

I don't know what else can be said about Flying J discounts.

Let's see if I got this straight.  We are all members of  FMCA, but we are promoting, that if you want day to day savings, you need to be a member of Good Sam!  Did I miss anything?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Let's see if I got this straight.  We are all members of  FMCA, but we are promoting, that if you want day to day savings, you need to be a member of Good Sam!  Did I miss anything?

Only if you want to fill at Pilot/Flying-Js  

You didn't miss a thing and don't change the topic. The OP wanted to know specifically how to get a discount at Flying J and being a member of Good Sam, getting either a discount card or charge card from Pilot/Flying J is the only way I know. 

Agree & you also, need that GS card for your day to day camping discount !  I'm not knocking it...I'm Charter Life Member 1973!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, richard5933 said:

It's strange when I compare Flying J prices through Gas Buddy. In some parts of the country they are within 10 cents or so to other stations. In other areas they are 30-40 cents higher, sometimes even more. I'd love to know how they set their prices. They must have some type of algorithm to set these. Just doesn't make sense on the surface though how they can stay in business when other stations are so much lower, unless maybe they do this in areas where the other stations are just too inconvenient for commercial truckers to get to.

I think that they use competitive shopping, they do not use samples of mom/pop, or Walmart in the sample, only other truck stops that are competitive with their operation on the immediate area of the fuel stop.

35 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

You didn't miss a thing and don't change the topic. The OP wanted to know specifically how to get a discount at Flying J and being a member of Good Sam, getting either a discount card or charge card from Pilot/Flying J is the only way I know. 

………….. Jim!

I joined FMCA to be part of the community that is FMCA.

I joined Good Sam, Passport America, and one other that I can't remember right now to get discounts.

44 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Oh boy....you guys are getting off topic.  The topic is how do I get a discount at Flying J?

Not really. The way to get the discount at Flying J/Pilot was mentioned long ago...get a Good Sam membership or a corporate account.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, basspond51 said:

I'm new with the FMCA. Are there any discounts for fuel. 

Actually Jim, on this thread he started Herman answered his question the next day and I don't see anything from him after that.  I'm sure he probably looked at Herman's answer, which was exactly what he needed to know, and "hung up the receiver" for this subject.