SDeuker

Why No A Frame Tow Bar

Why am I not reading of anyone towing with the basic A Frame style tow bars instead of all these fancy ones that cost so much and have to be rebuilt. It seems a solid tow bar is so tuff to brake and sure it is harder to hook up but less moving parts? Just wondering.

The A frame just isn't as pretty! LOL!:o   I have used the A frame for years, my wife can follow my directions and put the hitch onto the ball with no problems. When I bought the Jeep Wrangler a couple months ago, I found a Roadmsater Stowmaster on ebay at a good price and bought it. It is still an A frame by design which is styled to fold sideways as opposed to ststeelraight up like the traditional style A frame. The slide is Stainless steel, which I really like. So there is some still some options out there.

I use an a frame. Hooks to aftermarket bumper on jeep, and can drive jeep with tow bar still attached (secured upwards). I do use a ready brake for brakes and break away.

I find it very easy...

I had a Roadmaster Stowmaster on our Wrangler for several years and it worked well. We then moved up to our Yukon XL and got a 10,000 lb Blue Ox. It also worked well. I had a good friend give me a newer 10,000 lb Blue OX and it is the one I still use today. I have kept them all clean & inspected and tune them up myself.

I have nothing against an "A" frame tow bar other then it is really hard to hook up with just one person. But I agree, no moving parts and much less expensive.

Herman 

They bind up to easily.  I used a solid "A" frame for 30+ years, then switched  to Blue Ox, then Roadmaster.  I like having it mounted on coach!  It attaches to my "D ring" holders on Jeep and when disconnected, does not interfere with the winch or the real reason to have "D" rings to begin with...my Wrangler, spends more miles off road in 4 wheel drive, than on! :)

On 9/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, SDeuker said:

Why am I not reading of anyone towing with the basic A Frame style tow bars instead of all these fancy ones that cost so much and have to be rebuilt. It seems a solid tow bar is so tuff to brake and sure it is harder to hook up but less moving parts? Just wondering.

My reasons for not using a A frame. 1. to hard to hook up nearly impossible by myself and if not totaley strait and near perfectly level.  2. If not driving a jeep it may not be possible to find a baseplate that would work. 3. I want my towbar to stay on the coach. 

"all these fancy ones that cost so much and have to be rebuilt" I have bought 2 different Avita bars used for under $250.00. I had them gone through by Blue Ox as a precaution and it covered the annual maintenance. This also zeroed out the maintenance hours. All tow systems need annual maintenance.  

Bill

All I have ever used is an A frame tow bar and I rarely take it off of the toad when traveling.  My brother-in-laws tell me that I look like a Beverly Hillbilly.  I finally ditched faded VW Rabbit toad.

Jim