dbenoit

Using MH as a back up

We lost our water well on Friday night. Nice to have the MH as a back up for showering. A new well is being

drilled as I type. Using pool water to fill the toilets. I had to go to a local CG to fill my water tank as I don't want to owe any neighbors a favor, if you know what I mean.

Anyone ever have to use their MH or other camper when something in the house goes kaput?

David

3 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Anyone ever have to use their MH or other camper when something in the house goes kaput?

Many times, I hope not to have to use it because of losing a well, but have needed to use because of a well pump failure, and so many times because of power failure.

Our pump failed but the casing was junk so the pump is stuck. Won't come out or go back down.

It was a better decision to drill another closer to the house. New- 50 ft., old- 1000 ft away. Going 400' down as well.

I think the casing is bent because a lot of dynamite was used to clear the lots around our house. A lot of rock here. The Granite State.

My  motorhome was used during the 2016 Thanksgiving Holiday with a house full of relatives for full bathroom services when my home sewer line suddenly became plugged after years of diatomaceous earth swimming pool filter media which has settled to the bottom of the sewer line came loose in chunks (a whole other story about back-flushing swimming pool DE filters into a sewer line!).   I dumped the gray and black water tanks every couple of days at the near by Love's Travel Stop.

It's comforting to have a "home away from home" whenever needed.

I've gone through two hurricanes and lived in the motorhome for 5 days each time due to power outages. I also powered the s & b refrigerator and freezer with the motorhome genset.

YUP, its is our back up guest house and with Florence bearing down on the east coast i'm filling the fresh tank tonight, just in case of the potential apocalypse the news keeps talking about.  

Like Jim S.  Also, used generator as a power source for weeks, at ranch in Gladewater,  TX., during Hurricane Rita!  In Christmas of 2004, Galveston Island, got 7 inches of snow!  The compressor at house died and my dog and I lived in coach for 3 days! 

Being in the North East and Ice Storms and wind damage makes me a very popular power plant. The worst was after the Ice storm in 1991. Had to use  Carabiners to string power cords across the road to a 4 x 4 J box . Telephone or cable feeds make good carriers.

A friend and I where able to get permission to travel in 2 counties to get and supply fuel to a number of friends and pick up 2 large trash pumps from our Rod and gun club to assist the fire departs pump out flooded basements.  Very little sleep for 3 days. 

Rich.