fagnaml

Turbo Pressure -- Curiosity Questions

As always, I never complete Motorhome 101 class.   Even though I have owned my motorhome for 2-1/2 years, this weekend was the first time I "played" with my  Freightliner dashboard "read-outs".  I discovered that one of the available read-outs is "Turbo Pressure" which I selected out of curiosity.  What I discovered was the turbo pressure while idling is 0 psig with the turbo pressure reaching 27 psig while accelerating from a full stop.    This turbo pressure reading makes sense to me i.e. low exhaust gas flow while idling to max exhaust gas flow while accelerating.   For reference my engine is a 2007 EPA Cummins 300 HP ISB.

My curiosity questions are:

1) Is this turbo pressure range "typical" ?

2) Is turbo pressure a "read-out" worth monitoring ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

My curiosity questions are:

1) Is this turbo pressure range "typical" ? ABSOLUTELY

2) Is turbo pressure a "read-out" worth monitoring ? A QUICK INDICATOR OF FUEL BEING USED-- LOWER BOOST, BETTER MPG.  ALSO, MONITOR IT OVER TIME.  IF MAX BOOST FALLS FIND OUT THE CAUSE (SUCH AS LEAK IN HOSE OR CAC).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike, for what its worth, I monitor engine temp, transmission temp and turbo boost.

I found a switch on the dash today for the courtesy lights in the bedroom and rear bath.  Who knew? 

Will add this/ 27 psi is pretty much normal. On a really chilly day it might approach 30. No living human could possibly  teach Motorhome 101.  Still struggling with remedial Motorhome classes and that started in 1986 with a rental to be amplified by a purchase in 1988.🙄

Mike.

Welcome to the club!  As long as you need help here, like me, your in school.  The answer is above my "pay scale"! :P

The path to understanding and knowledge is in the members of the forum! 

BTDT.  The lesson is one a person never forgets and those that are often to comfortable walking out on a limb. 

Learning never really ends, because there are always changes. Unless one is happy to set and watch the world go by.

Rich.