danheinemann

Beating the high cost of fuel

So this summer I got underway from my Tennessee home and headed to parts high and west. It gets pretty muggy and warm in Tennessee in the summer as you might know!! In preparation for this, I made sure my Good Sam card and towing service were up to date and checked the FMCA and good Sam, Pilot / Flyin J & Love’s cards were connected up to these accounts for fuel discounts. All armed, off I went on my 6200 mile sojourn. 

I drive a 1995 38 ft Beaver Emerald Marquis. I tow a 2016 GMC Canyon. The Beaver has a 365 HP Cat and likes diesel!! Here is what I found; All of the Love’s, Pilot/Flying J’s as well as most TA centers located on the interstates were charging up to $0.40 / gallon more that the surrounding areas! Additionally, they would often advertise a cash price of say $3.25 and a CC or Debit card price of $3.45!  or 6% more. (my Visa card charges the merchant 1.5%!) So not only are you gonna pay more than fueling stations located a bit off the freeway, but better carry large sums of greenbacks too!! So the fuel discounts are a come-on and gain you nothing. 

Here is what I did. In my journey this summer, I purchased fuel only once from a Loves, not a red-cent to the others. When I’d get to about a half of a tank or so, I’d take the interstate alternate route into a city or town. As soon as you are out of site of the freeway – viola – diesel prices ranged from $2.94 to $3.19 / gal!! the highest I paid for fuel was the $3.25 once. So this is way better that the fuel “discounts” they proport.  My savings for this trip were about $360.00!

Other than that, and having to replace my generator starter during the trip, I had a great time.  IMG_20170903_115702777.thumb.jpg.5ff597b9ee56eb4196f52d5f4861d1be.jpg

R/ DH

I carry 185 gal of diesel in my coach and 96 gal in my tank in the back of my Silverado toad.  What I usually do is when in a campground I search out the cheapest fuel using Gas Buddy and go for it in the truck.  I have a transfer pump and meter.  I average about 10 mpg so I have long range.

Danheinemann, welcome to the forum. I think it is easier to use Gasbuddy rather than driving through towns looking for cheap fuel. 😃 I am on a short trip North East. Diesel prices tend to run a little higher. Lowest so far was in VA $2.869 to $3.369 in NY. I managed to skip PA where I saw prices over $3.67. I think I  have done fairly well with a average cost of $3.144 so far.

Bill

I'm not on this journey to save money. I buy fuel wherever I can and whenever I can.  With a 43 foot MH towing I tend to stay away from Ma & Pa fuel stations.  Now there are some stations that have a truck diesel pump but I have not save much that amounts to anything versus the PFJ's.  I stay away from Loves an TA only because I have to go inside and pre-pay. With PFJ I pull up, swipe card, fill up and drive away.  Saving $360 is just money I'd spend on something I don't need anyway.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Wayne.  $360 is a dozen "Prime Beef" Rib Eye's!  Or 4 nights of R & R & GS in a nice campground. :rolleyes::lol:

only you.....:lol:

How long have you had that coach? That is a real beauty! It also looks familiar, my old boss had the same coach, worked on it many times in the early 2000's.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, wayne77590 said:

... I stay away from Loves an TA only because I have to go inside and pre-pay. With PFJ I pull up, swipe card, fill up and drive away...

I stay away from Loves also.  However, during our recent 3,500 mile trip, the D/W still had to go inside the PFJ...and we have their card.  What's the secret to not having to go inside....are you using a regular Visa/MC?

I have the Rvpluscard issued by PFJ, the entire bill must be paid monthly, no carry over, strictly a charge card, and I do not go inside for fuel purposes, only to purchase anything else that I would like. Had to be a member of GS to acquire the card.

I also use the PFJ RVPlus card. Drive up, swipe card, pump fuel, drive off. To me that is worth the slightly higher cost of fuel at a PFJ and it saves me from running all over creation trying to find a station that can accommodate me. 

I hate those stations that have you go in and tell them how much fuel you want. I know they are asking for dollar amount but I always tell them 1/4 tank. I get that "Dear In The Headlights" look. Then I open my calculator app and ask how much is it a gallon, then do the calculations and tell them how much $$. Then go out and pump and it never comes up to what I told them. Go beck in.....blah blah blah - preaching to the choir.

Carl, I can't store that much food.

Wayne, what size fridge you got...a 10 cu ft Nocold? :lol:

I enjoy going inside, it's like a rest area, I get to move around.  Besides, I only fill up every 700+ miles.  Have gone over 1,000. :) 

3 hours ago, FIVE said:

I stay away from Loves also.  However, during our recent 3,500 mile trip, the D/W still had to go inside the PFJ...and we have their card.  What's the secret to not having to go inside....are you using a regular Visa/MC?

You need this card.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/

Bill

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I also use the PFJ RVPlus card. Drive up, swipe card, pump fuel, drive off. To me that is worth the slightly higher cost of fuel at a PFJ and it saves me from running all over creation trying to find a station that can accommodate me. 

YUP!

Still like my cash plan. We get the advertised price in green on the sign along the interstate. Never a problem. Everybody likes cash and I get to talk to people . 

16 hours ago, obedb said:

Still like my cash plan. We get the advertised price in green on the sign along the interstate. Never a problem. Everybody likes cash and I get to talk to people

The  PFJ card is 8 cents off of the cash price stated, or 5 cents off of gas, or 5 cents off of propane, and you pay monthly, unless you want to log on to your account and pay more often.

This always comes up on different RV forums, is it best to just stay close to exits and pay a little more for fuel or search in towns/cities for cheaper prices?  With my current set up I can't squeeze into a local Shell station 10 miles off the interstate and pump diesel even if I wanted to save 20 cents a gallon.  I like fueling up where the big trucks fuel.  It is easy in and out, generally fresh good fuel, and I can always park to take a break or eat lunch afterwards if I want to.  We almost always use Pilot or Flying J and have the card.  I take a pic of the pump when I'm done plus the receipt shows up on my phone a minute later, so there is no need to go inside, easy-peasy.

Someone said they have a 185 fuel tank plus carry another 96 gallon tank in their toad.  I really don't need fuel capacity that allows me to drive over 1,500 miles, nor would I want to haul almost 2,000 pounds of fuel up some of the mountains we have experienced.  I'll just stick with my little bittie 100 gallon fuel tank and fuel every 400 miles or so.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Danheinemann said:

So this summer I got underway from my Tennessee home and headed to parts high and west. It gets pretty muggy and warm in Tennessee in the summer as you might know!! In preparation for this, I made sure my Good Sam card and towing service were up to date and checked the FMCA and good Sam, Pilot / Flyin J & Love’s cards were connected up to these accounts for fuel discounts. All armed, off I went on my 6200 mile sojourn. 

I drive a 1995 38 ft Beaver Emerald Marquis. I tow a 2016 GMC Canyon. The Beaver has a 365 HP Cat and likes diesel!! Here is what I found; All of the Love’s, Pilot/Flying J’s as well as most TA centers located on the interstates were charging up to $0.40 / gallon more that the surrounding areas! Additionally, they would often advertise a cash price of say $3.25 and a CC or Debit card price of $3.45!  or 6% more. (my Visa card charges the merchant 1.5%!) So not only are you gonna pay more than fueling stations located a bit off the freeway, but better carry large sums of greenbacks too!! So the fuel discounts are a come-on and gain you nothing. 

Here is what I did. In my journey this summer, I purchased fuel only once from a Loves, not a red-cent to the others. When I’d get to about a half of a tank or so, I’d take the interstate alternate route into a city or town. As soon as you are out of site of the freeway – viola – diesel prices ranged from $2.94 to $3.19 / gal!! the highest I paid for fuel was the $3.25 once. So this is way better that the fuel “discounts” they proport.  My savings for this trip were about $360.00!

Other than that, and having to replace my generator starter during the trip, I had a great time.  IMG_20170903_115702777.thumb.jpg.5ff597b9ee56eb4196f52d5f4861d1be.jpg

R/ DH

Good looking coach!  Sounds like a good trip even though you had to have your gen set repaired.  Welcome to the forum. 

I have to chuckle just a bit when I read the title beating the high cost of fuel. I remember when diesel was almost $5 per gallon about 10 years ago so when I fill up today and pay almost $2 a gallon less than that, I'm ecstatic. 

21 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Are you entering your "control number" at the pump? 

Bill

Are you talking about the number on the card, or the PIN?  To answer your question we haven't even tried to use pay at the pump for several years...maybe things have changed.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

Are you talking about the number on the card, or the PIN?  To answer your question we haven't even tried to use pay at the pump for several years...maybe things have changed.

I haven't used my card in a while but if I remember you have to enter your (4 digit control number) same as a pin, after swiping your card. You can find it in the card management section on their website. If that doesn't work call them, Toll-Free by Phone: 855-478-7587.

Bill

I'm with Joe S and I'm not going to drive around city blocks seeing if I can get my 43' footer with TOAD into a station.
---------------------------------------------
And as Jim S stated I also remember the very close to $5 a gallon days and it still didn't stop us from traveling. Many RV owners got rid of their rigs because of the ever increasing fuel prices, same in 2008 when the economy was dwindling down.
Yes, when using the PFJ card he pump display will ask for your "control" number and it is a pin number that you set up. First time I ever used it i thought it was a "trucker control" number and, as easy as easy does, it had me confused for 2 seconds.
--------------------------------------------
I just found out something that I'm going to have to test on the way home regarding Loves Truck Stops.  I hate having to go in and tell them how much i'm going to pump.  Talking to another Love's card holder he stated that with the MyLove's card you swipe the card at the pump then swipe your credit card and you don't have to go in.
Can anyone confirm this?

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

I'm with Joe S and I'm not going to drive around city blocks seeing if I can get my 43' footer with TOAD into a station.
And as Jim S stated I also remember the very close to $5 a gallon days and it still didn't stop us from traveling. Many RV owners got rid of their rigs because of the ever increasing fuel prices, same in 2008 when the economy was dwindling down.
Yes, when using the PFJ card he pump display will ask for your "control" number and it is a pin number that you set up. First time I ever used it i thought it was a "trucker control" number and, as easy as easy does, it had me confused for 2 seconds.
--------------------------------------------
I just found out something that I'm going to have to test on the way home regarding Loves Truck Stops.  I hate having to go in and tell them how much i'm going to pump.  Talking to another Love's card holder he stated that with the MyLove's card you swipe the card at the pump then swipe your credit card and you don't have to go in.
Can anyone confirm this?

Id like to know also if the pumps on the truck lanes will work with their Loves cards. 

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Id like to know also if the pumps on the truck lanes will work with their Loves cards.

Me to, I haven't found anything unless you are a trucking company.

Bill

Wayne, Joe.  Yes!  I have it, but stopped using it, because their prices, in most cases, was higher than FJ/Pilot.  Used to be Loves all over on I-40, from OK to Kingman, AZ.