Catman300

Decided on a Tow Dolly

A new private owner ad popped up for a 77TSB-14 Tow Master. It's a 2016 with Surge brakes and the gentleman used it one trip to Montana and back home  3K miles on it. It looks like brand new, as well as the tires. Stored inside out of the sun. I got it for 1K and i am tickled. Maybe a Tow bar set-up is better/worse but, i think this is my cuppa tea. We will be dragging around our Chevy HHR and see how it goes. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Definitely better than that big trailer (in my opinion). Make you set the car up exactly as the manufacturer says for that model. For example if you have swivel plates under the wheels and leave the steering unlocked you will end up damaging the car. Double check but it appears the dolly pivots so you would leave your steering locked.

Trick I found when I was using a dolly, to get the straps tight leave a couple inches between the front stop and the tire. put the straps over the tire and lightly tighten them. Now put the car in neutral and finish tightening the straps. The straps don't slide on the tiers so unless the tier can rotate forward it is nearly impossible to get the straps tight on the back side of the tier. After they are tight put it back in park.

Let us know how it works for you.

Bill

Good looking dolly, and good advice from Bill. If the dolly has a locking pin on the swivel plate, make sure it is unlocked with your toad loaded, and as Bill said, make sure your steering wheel is locked while towing on the dolly.

I can't imagine dragging around a tow dolly when you've got a very towable HHR.  I've tried tow dollies and very quickly got tired of dealing with them.  They're very heavy and hard to manhandle.  Most of the places we go have back-in sites meaning you have to unload the towed, but the dolly aside, back-in and store the dolly - that also applies to dead-end streets and parking lots.  Compare that with towing 4 down (which the HHR is very capable os).  Pull up to the back of the MH, connect the towbar, pull a fuse, put it in neutral, connect the lights and brakes and go.  I've tried both and much prefer 4 down towing.  As always, your mileage may differ and that's why they offer so many different ways to accomplish the same goal.  Happy travels.

thanks guys.We tried it out on a short trip.I guess i am different,i love this thing.I can pull into a camp site and have that car off and headed to where ever in less than 2 minutes.

If i do have to unhook the dolly it's no big deal for me to wheel it out of the way.I'm not debating 4 flat towing,it's just i find this super easy to hook and go vs an air hose and brake set-up to mess with each time.

We purchased a Landgrebe tow dolly with spare tire, mount, stone guard, and landing gear wheel.  Very easy to load, offload, and push out of the way.  We've been on several short and medium distance trips. So far so good.  We tow a Lincoln MKX with push button start, so we lock the wheels by threading the seat belt through the steering wheel.  Works very well.

32 minutes ago, pflaumek said:

We purchased a Landgrebe tow dolly with spare tire, mount, stone guard, and landing gear wheel.  Very easy to load, offload, and push out of the way.  We've been on several short and medium distance trips. So far so good.  We tow a Lincoln MKX with push button start, so we lock the wheels by threading the seat belt through the steering wheel.  Works very well.

Welcome to the forum. Glad it is working for you. Did you read what I posted earlier about getting the straps tight?

Bill