eric@babin.com

Surge Guards: EMS PT50X VS SURGE GUARD 34950?

I am having my ATS replaced this morning due to surge or low power at a park last week. I'll post pics etc on that page I started later today.

I'm looking at getting some protections.

My coach: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42qd

Which is better:

EMS-PT50X

https://www.campingworld.com/ems-pt50x-50-amp-ems-with-surge-protection?CAWELAID=120030630000022897&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-HMmr3C3QIVh6xpCh1RTQv4EAQYAiABEgLYPfD_BwE

or

SURGE GUARD 34950

https://www.technorv.com/surge-guard-portable-total-electrical-protection-34950/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvd-t6LzC3QIVUL7ACh0rNQkoEAQYBCABEgKszvD_BwE

I value your input!

Thank you in advance-

Eric Babin

We've got the Progressive Industries on and we're quite happy with it. I notice that the other one you listed doesn't have nearly the same weather shielding,

3 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I have the Surge Guard hard wired with the monitor.  I use it to monitor my amp usage when in limited amp situations.

I use the portable in the same fashion. The display answers questions when ghost problems arise

I have used Progressive Industries for 10 years and now have the PT-50X. It can be purchased on Amazon fo the same price as Camping World if you are not near one for the same price of $334.
There product has saved me from electrical problems several times over the years.

My original  Iota Engineering brand automatic transfer switch "fried" this past May 2018.   RV Masters in Houston replaced that piece of plastic junk with a more formidable Progressive Dynamics ATS model PD52DCS that has a built-in surge protector --> https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/automatic-transfer-switches/pd52dcs-pd52s-240-vac-50-amp-automatic-surge-protected-transfer-switch-the-silent-ats/   

After the ATS was replaced, the wife and I took our motorhome on a couple of weekend adventures in July and August to the hot, summertime Texas Hill Country with both roof A/Cs running and the Keurig making coffee and had no problems with the new ATS.  

Mike, I would still have a Progressive at the post.  I don't need reverse polarity, or hot skin, that will light me up like a Christmas tree! :blink: High/low voltage, only one hot leg, bad CB. Just a few things that will not make it to the coach!

The other advantage with any unit that protects at the post is that protection is provided for the shore cord as well. Can't get that with an on-board box.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

The other advantage with any unit that protects at the post is that protection is provided for the shore cord as well. Can't get that with an on-board box.

YUP, thats the reason I removed the built in unit and opted for one on the pole. I have had cord damage in the past, which can be frustrating and expensive!

I have the Surge Guard 34850 portable. It has saved me several times from plugging into bad pedestals and being portable I can check outher power pedestals without moving the coach.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand when they talk about surge protection for their coach is, low voltage is what causes the majority of the problems in coaches. I would bet the OP's problem was caused by low voltage not over voltage. 

Bill

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, richard5933 said:
2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have the Surge Guard 34850 portable. It has saved me several times from plugging into bad pedestals and being portable I can check outher power pedestals without moving the coach.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand when they talk about surge protection for their coach is, low voltage is what causes the majority of the problems in coaches. I would bet the OP's problem was caused by low voltage not over voltage. 

Bill

Here is a picture of the damage.... 

IMG_0333.jpg

Probably one of the most overlooked annual maintenance items is checking that the terminals in the ATS are tight. I agree with Brett, a loose connection caused this problem.

Carl, Richard --

In addition to the surge protection provided in my new Progressive Dynamics ATS, I continue to use my "entry level" portable SurgeGuard 44270 at the pedestal.   Recall that when I posted my ATS problems I asked the question about using my portable SurgeGuard in series with the surge protection in the my new ATS and you strongly suggested "yes" so I do.

For reference this is the SurgeGuard 44270 I use at the pedestal --> (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surge-Guard-44270-Entry-Level-Portable-Surge-Protector-50-Amp/144971712?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222048446868&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10359948685&wl4=pla-4578641309896479&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=144971712_10000010370&wl14=surgeguard model 44270&veh=sem&msclkid=cbc2149331b0121a76a74f309b74c7be 

Mike, Using surge protectors in series is OK, but that will not keep the same issue if the connection issue if  the connections loosen up .  That is why checking the all the electrical connections between the shore power riser an generator to the Transfer Switch and the connections in the main 120 volt power panel and in the sub panel are tight. 

When driving down the road, the constant vibrations and bumps will - over time cause loose connections.

Rich.

Good game between LSU and AU last week ! That kind of game keeps everyone on the edge of there seat !!!!!