Sign in to follow this  
bergenfelter@comcast.net

Towing 2009 Ford Escape

John,

The section in the owners manual that tells you how to set the vehicle up to be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome should say whether a fuse needs to be pulled. If there is no mention of this in the owners manual you shouldn't have to worry about battery drain. More than likely the power needed to run that dash clock is very low.

Doug Uhlenbrock

Associate Editor

FMC

Doug,

Thanks for the reply. However, it appears that some of the interior accessory lighting stays on as well as the clock (door lock/unlock button illumination). The manual does not say anything about pulling a fuse. Later, I will hook up my ammeter and see what the current drain is and post a report (also experiment with pulling some fuses if necessary).

John.

I was directed to this Forum because I have been complaining about our 2010 Ford Fusion (FrUStratION) 6spd. auto. trans. problems. I can see after reviewing the entries that this problem is nothing new to any of you. Ford has received 3 transmissions TRANSPLANTS in our vehicle. We had the TSB and remodulation of the computerized shifting sequence reset (twice). None of Ford's remedies worked.

We had won the declaration of the car being a LEMON at the BBBAutoline level. We have also been successful at the next level in Florida, the State's Attorney Generals Office Arbitration Board (Case# 2011-0042-ORL). We pursued the LEMON Law at the Attn. Gen. level to achieve reimbursement for incidental and collateral expenses; ex: base plate, electrical and the air assist axillary braking system. Things that are necessary to safely use the vehicle as a TOAD.

Ford denies any problem with the 6 spd. auto. trans. installed in the Fusion, Escape, Milan, or Mariner. The dealership Service Managers and Ford's Field Service Engineers have told us there were only a few isolated incidents of consumers Flat towing and experiencing transmission failure. I can see they are definitely wrong about the transmission DEFECT.

I have filed a complaint with the NHSA and there has not been a recall announced. The NHSA has not apparently received enough filed compaints reguarding the 6 spd. auto. trans., or they have limited the compaint to only specific vehicles and have not been aware that we are all experiencing the same transmission FAILURE only in different FORD PRODUCTS.

We have been awarded approval for reimbursement for the cost of the vehicle plus incidental and collateral costs minus the standard usage.

Ford has enjoined REMCO to develop a lube pump as a solution to the transmission DEFECT. REMCO has issued a News Release on their website RE: Towing the Escape, Fusion and Mariner (2009-2011). This might be an option that will make the flat towing of these vehicles uneventful. I feel that Ford should be responsible to provide and install the LP-FORD Lube Pump Kit in all Escapes, Fusions, Mariners and Milans that have the 6 spd. auto. trans. (even those newly modified trans. with the baffle). They advertise these vehicles to be compatible for recreational towing without any resulting problems.

Good Luck To All and our sincere sympathy to anyone who had to deal with a Ford Customer Care Adviser or Ford Legal Adviser. The common bond that this site provides helps alleviate the lonely desperate feeling one encounters when seeking answers/solutions from FORD.

I agree with you about having Ford paying for the lube kit from Remco. I have had 3 transmissions but into my Escape and Ford still says they have no problems. Yes, they reimburse me for my dolly rentals and extra campground stays but still the time it takes driving a motor home thru town to the local U-haul to have the dolly hooked up and the extra gas doesn't compensate me for all the times that the transmission decides to go south. I can tow the Escape sometimes for 300 miles or more with no problems but sometimes it only takes about 2 hours on the road when she start smoking and have to pull over. Sure I will get the pump installed just to keep my blood pressure down and have piece of mind when taking a trip.

This is for anyone with a 2011 Ford or lincon with push button start and your battery goes dead while towing all wheels down with all wheel drive, or just if your battery goes dead when towing. Contact me and I will tell you what I did to cure the problem for 99% of the time I am towing. Glen Stanley gsncs1020@aol.com FMCA 214191 Full timing for 19 + years.

NO NEED for the ACC position! There is an "off" position next to the Lock position that keeps the electrical off and the steering column UNlocked!

I will be towing my 5-speed manual FWD Escape 4 wheels down. I will be leaving the key in the accy position, but the dash digital clock stays on. Should I be pulling a fuse, or will the vehicle power saver kick in, or is the power drain minimal?

Thanks for any help...

John.