Sign in to follow this  
Catman300

Awning Lift Handle replacement

Howdy all, any info on the following will be greatly appreciated. 

I have an Elite 9000 Dometic Awning which has a manufacture date of 8/08. I need to replace  both awning lift handles  mine have ONE rivet to mount them and all i can find online is handles that require TWO mounting rivets,although they show they are universal handles and fit 8500 and 900 series awnings. There would be no problem drilling a second hole to mount them but the look completely different than my existing handles. The rivet holding mine in place looks more like a peened steel headed rivet rather than an aluminum typical rivet.

Anyone out there know if the newer 'universal' handles will fit?

Thanks again for any advise  

Rod

Attacthed is a pic of my existing handle. Tried calling Dometic and had to push 1 then 3 then 1then 0 then wait and got tired. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

Since A&E is a Dometic company, have you tried to contact them?

YES.I will try again tomorrow.I had to keep push #'s on their recorded directory then put on hold forever.

I was hoping to get something ordered today but doubt that is going to happen now.Thanks.

Finally got a hold of Dometic. Gee whiz does that place need some one that is more helpful to answer their phone.She just transfers calls and doesn't have a clue who or where to direct you.She knows NOTHING at all,what-so-ever, to do with roll up awnings but said YES i called the right #.LOL

Even the tech woman i got transferred to has never even HEARD of the awning i have on my coach.WOW ,it was built in 2008.She could not even find a part # or even recognized the number in the above pic i sent to her...my gosh.LOL This place is very lost.They need help BAD.

Thru other forums and more very limited research,i found out my awning is the 'plus' series and they no longer make those lift handles.I have tried to find 'old stock' (yea right) on a shelf somewhere ,but no luck so far.

The newer type handle (830664) shows it WILL,fit the 9000 series but no mention at all about a 'plus series' or even noted on my awning sticker about 'plus' series.It does NOT fit

I could maybe modify and cut the opening out larger that the mechanism fits into on the aluminum arm,but the newer handles mount with 1/8" rivets verses 3/16" rivets,and two rivet vs. one rivet,so i would have to move up or down the arm to a new place and start over so the rivet doesn't land in the same 3'16" hole and be loose.This is a shame them not still making these replacement parts or having several in stock.Her i am with a very nice awning system and can't find a simple little part it.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:48 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Try PPL motorhomes, they have a big parts department.

Why can't you drill out the 1/8 hole so you can use a 3/16 rivet?

Bill 

Yea thanks Bill.I guess i am going to try to make the newer style work somehow.It's just crazy they don't sell replacement for a 2008 awning but it is what it is.

Is there room enough to install a machine screw or bolt? maybe a countersunk screw with the head on the back side and a good self locking nut on the outside.

Bill

33 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Is there room enough to install a machine screw or bolt? maybe a countersunk screw with the head on the back side and a good self locking nut on the outside.

Bill

Yea i could do small  countersunk machine screws but i can't get to it straight-on inside the channel. to even drill them.Even a rivet has to be very short,or peened inside,to clear the second sliding channel inside.

These particular arms,i believe are way thicker and better made than the newer version.All they need is new lift handles and will last for many years.

RV Doctor in Sacramento has an entire warehouse of parts taken from old RV's (including refrigerator doors). I had to wander thru the correct area looking for my part, but they are helpful and may be able to look / send a part to you?