manholt

Checking Browser

We need a security clearance for a Forum??  Perhaps it's got to do with Goggle, Bing, Alibaba or Explorer!  What are you using boy?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

We need a security clearance for a Forum??  Perhaps it's got to do with Goggle, Bing, Alibaba or Explorer!  What are you using boy?

Chrome on the PC, no idea on the I-Phone, both give the same message. Don't steal my thunder, it makes me feel important 😂 💪

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

😂

The latest update on the forum made the emoji look like a sad drawing, any idea why?

Where's Kay, hes the wiz at this stuff?

I heard Rush talking to a caller about a browser that does not place some roadblocks in front of conservative web sites. DuckDuckGo. I am using it? So far so good. The checking your browser screen has been around for awhile. I  see it even when I sign out. 

9 hours ago, obedb said:

I heard Rush talking to a caller about a browser that does not place some roadblocks in front of conservative web sites. DuckDuckGo. I am using it? So far so good. The checking your browser screen has been around for awhile. I  see it even when I sign out. 

Any browser will do that... Browsers are just portals. If you are concerned, just activate the private browsing mode so that tracking is minimized?

DuckDuckGo is a search engine. There are dozens of these out there. If you are not logged in to the search engine and clear your cache/cookies you can get get results much different than when you are logged in. Most search engines, when you are logged in, will try and fit the results to your likes/dislikes. That's why I am still seeing ads for e-bikes every time I search for anything travel related.

All that said, I would guess that discussions involving Rush and his show are best left to political forums, as opinions are bound to be highly charged and cause the conversation to become strained.

So I did something bad??  Did I say that I was agreeing with the host??  He often gets on my nerves.  I have been looking for a different search engine because Google seems to take a very long time to finally settle down after an interminable  "web page problems "  waste of time. Richard perhaps you could suggest a search engine that  does not crawl like a caterpillar. I will try it. 

In the USA, it's Goggle or Yahoo.  Most of Europe, it's Bing, China is Alibaba and Russia it's Yadda...Take your pick !!!  Probably a couple of dozen more out there! :rolleyes:

The issue with the FMCA forum stopping to check things is strictly related to something on the FMCA side of things. They've got some security measure in place that runs when it thinks it should to protect the site.

I usually run with Firefox as my browser, though at times I'll run into sites that aren't fully compatible and will switch to Chrome. As a last resort I'll use Edge (that's the latest iteration of Internet Explorer)

As for search engines, the two big ones are Google and Bing. If you look at the fine print on Yahoo's search results you'll see that the results are coming from Bing. Yahoo stopped doing their own searches some time ago. There are also lots of smaller search engines that come and go.

I e-mailed my contact on the FMCA Staff yesterday and got this reply:

This is totally normal, as it is just extra security for all of our domains. There was a bot that was attacking our site and was trying to compromise it, which in turn made our site slower. We implemented additional security to resolve the issue which will help keep attackers from reaching our sites.

It has since been turned back off.

Brett, got it 4 hours ago, but not 10 min. ago!  Wish they would give a heads up, before and after, without your intervention!  Pure laziness and not helping FMCA in the thoughts of new members!

Carl,

I agree--  "to a point".

If the FMCA IT department senses an attack and institutes protective measures, I am not sure it is reasonable to expect forewarning.

Agree, if it is to be in place for more than a short time, it would be helpful/thoughtful for them to make a post to that effect.

Joe I was in TN. while this was happening, and not checking in very often, sooooooooooooooo I missed the fun. On Tuesday of this week, the forum had a major hiccup and it was for a very good reason, after the forum came back up the security certificate was in place (SSL), which means that now all transmissions between you (or anyone else) are encrypted to the forum server. I do not know what level encryption they are using but basically now what you are doing while on the forum, it is much the same as talking to your bank now. Hackers are not able to slip bad situations into either your computer, or the server through your conversation. When you see this in the address line https://community.fmca.com, this means that all transmissions are encrypted. This protocol was developed by and for the military many years ago and is still the best form of security. There is another engine that I sometimes use called Dogpile (www.dogpile.com), I like it better than the one that Rush mentioned. But by and large I still use Google (with all their tracking) more often because of a much wider range of scope for locating a particular item.