Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

MAINTENANCE SUGGESTIONS

We are full timers and will be bringing out RV in for a couple issues and scheduled maintenance. Below is my list.... Just wondering if there is some other things I should have them check.... 

2014 ITASCA ELLIPSE 42QD  

CUMMINS 450 HP ISL9

ISSUES:

COACH PULLS TO THE RIGHT

RIGHT SIDE SUSPENSION SEEMS SOFT AND BOTTOMS OUT MUCH EASIER THAN LEFT SIDE WHEN A BUMP IS HIT

WASHING MACHINE (SPLENDIDE AWRXF129W) ACTS AS IF IT IS GETTING NO POWER. WILL NOT COME ON. OUTLET POWER IS FINE.

SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE:

ENGINE OIL / OIL,  FUEL, AND AIR FILTER CHANGE

TEST COOLANT

CHECK BELTS

GENERATOR OIL / AIR / FUEL FILTER CHANGE (ONAN 10000 RVQD)

CLEAN OUT SPARK ARRESTOR FOR GENERATOR

LUBE AND CHECK SLIDE OUTS (X3)

LUBE AND CHECK LEVELING JACKS

AQUA HOT SYSTEM / ANNUAL MAINTENANCE

CHECK BATTERIES

CHECK FOR PROPER INFLATION OF TIRES

WHAT OTHER ITEMS MAY BE NEEDED TO BE CHECKED AT 30,000 MILES / ANNUAL / PRIOR TO LONG TRIP?

1 hour ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

RIGHT SIDE SUSPENSION SEEMS SOFT AND BOTTOMS OUT MUCH EASIER THAN LEFT SIDE WHEN A BUMP IS HIT

Have you checked RIDE HEIGHT?

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Have you checked RIDE HEIGHT?

are you asking if the right side is lower than the left?  It is fine if we are on level ground....

they are pretty much the same. 

Check the loaded weight - all four corners is the best way.

We travel with only 3/8 tank of potable water and empty gray an black tanks as much as possible .

Rich.

Rich.  He'll be doing some dry camping on the trek to Key West.  I generally leave with 70+% fresh water & empty tanks.  There are times that we will spend the night on generator & can't dump...in a perfect world.

Knowing your normal travel weight, is paramount  to a good/safe ride!  Have your alignment checked and check the air in your cold tires, for the load.

Eric.

Please, use lower case and not all caps....you come across, like your mad & shouting! 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Rich.  He'll be doing some dry camping on the trek to Key West.  I generally leave with 70+% fresh water & empty tanks.  There are times that we will spend the night on generator & can't dump...in a perfect world.

Knowing your normal travel weight, is paramount  to a good/safe ride!  Have your alignment checked and check the air in your cold tires, for the load.

Eric.

Please, use lower case and not all caps....you come across, like your mad & shouting! 

Best way to check load weight would be the self service Cat scales at truck stops?

Sorry about the all caps.... that is a cut and paste from some notes I've made on a word doc.  

I'll certainly report back regarding the diagnosis. 

(I'm taking it in to Texas Custom Coach / Bandera TX)

Read your coach, Cummins, and Allison owners manuals to locate the normal maintenance schedules. I must do that every time, as there are so many items, remembering is quite difficult. For instance, the air filter should not require changing at 30,000 miles. Cummins says to only change when the filter minder shows at the red mark. Every time the intake system is disturbed it increases the odds of improper sealing, leading to dusting an engine.  This may be informative: http://pjrider.com/Cummins.htm

One outher thing I recommend and do is start a file on your computer and keep track of all the part numbers for anything you replace. Oil filters, fuel filters air filters etc. this includes the generator. I also have a section recording when and what was done for maintenance. Things like last fluid change on transmission.

This makes it easier to look things up.

Bill

3 hours ago, RAYIN said:

Read your coach, Cummins, and Allison owners manuals to locate the normal maintenance schedules. I must do that every time, as there are so many items, remembering is quite difficult. For instance, the air filter should not require changing at 30,000 miles. Cummins says to only change when the filter minder shows at the red mark. Every time the intake system is disturbed it increases the odds of improper sealing, leading to dusting an engine.  This may be informative: http://pjrider.com/Cummins.htm

Great info. Thank you.

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

One outher thing I recommend and do is start a file on your computer and keep track of all the part numbers for anything you replace. Oil filters, fuel filters air filters etc. this includes the generator. I also have a section recording when and what was done for maintenance. Things like last fluid change on transmission.

This makes it easier to look things up.

Bill

More fantastic ideas.

I love this forum.

Thank you-

Eric

Dang... sorry it took so long for me to wrap this thread up....

Everything has been fixed.  We got all the work done at Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek TX which happens to be the best in the region, and nearest to our "home base". 

$9,200 worth of work.

Lots of work needed for alignment etc.

Air suspension adjustments.  (this is why it was leaning toward the passenger front.)

New Mich. front tires.

I guess we put something bulky in the washing machine which caused the damage to it????)

Our shower sunroof has been leaking for longer than we've owned it apparently... entire ceiling in bathroom needed to be rebuilt.

New controller for awning.

1 slide awning needed to be completely replaced.

All the work for the 30,000 mile maintenance... 

blah blah blah… you get the idea....

Everything was fixed for our trip to Key West for our annual convention. (oh.. hey, we won EVERY award (all 5) that had to do with radio while there.... station of the year, show of the year, dj of the year... etc.....… this is us: www.RadioTropRock.com )

Anyway..... as I said...everything is working great now.... well, except for the cracked windshield we got coming back from Key West.... heck... if we didn't have something on the list "to fix" then we wouldn't be considered "full timers" right? 

14 hours ago, manholt said:

Eric.

I asked this morning, dropped my coach off, Dave Miller & Mike remember you! :)

Yes... we were there also... having our awning fixed.... they had to order the parts from when we were first there in October.