ktconners

How to exercise Onan Generator

I am somewhat new to the RV world. I currently have a Class A with Onan generator. I understand I should try and run the generator once a month. My question is:

I have been plugged in at one campsite for over a month. Can I just start the generator or should I shut off the shore power before turning on my generator?  Thanks!

Best way to exercise a generator is with it under load. To do that you'll have to switch from shore power to generator power and then turn on a few appliances like a/c or heater, depending on the season.

1 hour ago, ktconners said:

I have been plugged in at one campsite for over a month. Can I just start the generator or should I shut off the shore power before turning on my generator?  Thanks!

Richard is right about loading your generator. However without knowing what coach (it isn't in your signature) I can't give a more accurate answer for your coach. My coach defaults to the generator if it is running and plugged into shore power. One big tip is to turn off heavy load items like the air conditioners before starting the generator. You want to let the generator warm up a little before adding a heavy load. You could also damage the contacts in the auto transfer box. The same when you are done and going to shut it down, let it run with no/low load before shutting it off.  

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have a 36 H 2017 Fleetwood Bounder. I have no idea if it transfers to generator when plugged in and I couldn’t seem to locate that in my documentation (although it’s probably right in front of my eyes..lol...)

In your electrical bay you should see a box labeled "ATS" if you have an automatic transfer switch. Repeating what Bill said, do not switch power sources with heavy-demand appliances running, it's hard on the switching mechanism, which can lead to premature failure.

Owners manual

re: exercising a generator;  Onan recommends running under 1/2 load or more for 2 hrs monthly. The goal is to dispel any moisture from the windings, which is only accomplished by heat.

OK I see a white box that says Magnum Energy, I think that is my inverter. Do not see an ATS. To be on the safe side, I should probably shut off appliances etc. and just cut my shore power before starting the generator...

Yes that would be the best way. Basicly finding the ATS isn't important unless it quits. You can't do anything but make shure you connections are tight(annual maintenance). Do you have 30 or 50 amp service in your coach? Do you have a load center that shows how much amps you are using sometimes only when on generator or less than max  power. This is also a load shedding tool in my coach so I don't draw more than the available amps. 

Bill

ktconners.

Mine is a all electric coach, I change over to generator at the house to exercise it.  I turn off AC if it's on,  wait 2 min.,  turn on generator, wait 2 min. and turn on AC.  Over the next 30 minutes, I add in Microwave (heat water for 5 min on high).  Then reverse it.

Your ATS will be in a box by your shore power cord.  Do not open and check connections, before unplugging Shore Power, turn off generator.  I also flip off main CB.  If your not comfortable working on 240v/120v, get someone who is!  I don't and I do!!!  I got a Linda..:D

Some air conditioners have a built-in delay to account for switching power sources, mine does, but I do as Carl stated anyway JIC. I have plenty of time, money_not so much.

2 hours ago, RAYIN said:

Some air conditioners have a built-in delay to account for switching power sources, mine does, but I do as Carl stated anyway JIC. I have plenty of time, money_not so much.

The time delay has more to do with giving the AC compressor time to bleed down the head preshure so it will start easier. Switching with a load on can damage the ATS.

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The time delay has more to do with giving the AC compressor time to bleed down the head preshure so it will start easier. Switching with a load on can damage the ATS.

Bill

You are right of course, good catch. My basement air unit will not start for 2-3 minutes after switching in on, regardless  if it hasn't  been used in a week or  5 minutes.