rossboyer

Toyo Equivalent Tires

I probably research too much. Not sure I want Toyo tires, but does anone know which Toyo tire is the equivalent of Michelin 275/70 22.5 load range J?  Load range L would be OK  

Good site that you reference, but that does not answer my question because even on Toyo web site I have not been able to find a match. I was hoping that someone that has Toyo tires that replaced Michelins would respond. I would like to know rating weights that the tires will support. 

Ross, I think you may be out of luck trying to match that size & load capacity with a Toyo.  They do not seem to have a broad a selection of sizes and HD Load Range as some other tire companies.

I had a couple parked beside me in June, they had Toyos on a 2009 AC Eagle 42 foot.  They loved them...just returned from spending Summer, Winter here, in Chili...that was their second r/t on the tires!  We where in Ruidoso, NM. They where from Calgary, Canada.

Please let us know how you like those tires - they are on top of my list for when I replace my tires later this year.

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I just bought 6 Firestone FS561, 275/70R22.5 Load range J.  $522 each. Total $3132. 

Glad you finally bought some tires.:P That is just a little more than I payed out  the door for my 275/80R/22.5 LR - H Continental tires. 

Bill

I had them install 10 inch long valve stems on the inside duals, so I can easily fill and put on my TPMS sensers. Also, replaced all the other valve stems with aluminum for the four aluminum wheels. All these increased the cost a little. 

Ross, congratulations on your new RV sneakers :P.

Another contender to the playing field is Roadlux. Relatively new to the US market and factory installed tire of choice on most truck manufactures of over the road trucks in Germany/Europe are now available in the US. I just picked up one 12R22.5 for our coach $375.00 out the door.

http://roadluxtire.com/

From the pilot testing and overall performance I have been impressed. Ride is good, they wear faster than a Michelin but as we all know that is not really an issue in an RV application. 

I an not familiar with a 12R22.5 size tire. But so far I am happy with the Firestones. I am not traveling as much as I use to do. About 10-12 years ago we were traveling 22,000-24,000 miles a year. Now, about 12,000-14,000 which is still above what many motor homes are used. Our travels are a round trip to Arizona, the FMCA summer convention, and monthly summer chapter rallies. I have always thought that frequent use is better for tires then just sitting in one place, but for 5 months the motor home just sits in Arizona. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I an not familiar with a 12R22.5 size tire.

The modern 'equivalent' would be 315/80R22.5 tires. They are about the same outside diameter, but they are a touch wider. Some use a 295/R2.5 as a replacement - all depends on the specs of each tire. The 12R22.5 is still in use, although it's not that common anymore. It is one of those tire sizes where carrying a spare (even if unmounted) would be an advantage if you travel in out-of-the-way places were a replacement tire might be hard to find.

The 12R is very common in the trucking industry and so is the 315/80. The issue with the 315/80's weight 2 years ago when I did my research. At that time they were somewhere around 20 lbs heavier than the 12R. That additional rolling resistance equates in a reduction in MPG's especially right at the wheel end. While adding another 120 lbs to the coach interior wouldn't be an issue, placing it at the wheel ends, different story.

It seems like the technology or something lightened up the 315/80, now they are all within 2 lbs of each other. Next time around those might be a consideration. I will never go back to the 295/80R22.5 that it came with. Those come at a very high price tag and are very difficult to locate.

For us the 315s work well, except for the extra width which creates a rub point on full turns. That's the main reason we're going back to 12R22.5 as soon as the bank account allows.