Chezyrider

Parts availability

One of the pitfalls in owning a motor home that you never think of is the availability of parts when you need them.  You take all of the precautions by routinely maintaining your coach, get extended warranties, get new tires, batteries, etc. when warranted, but when you have a repair issue, beware.  I just had an issue where my fan clutch assembly seized up, broke up into a bunch of different pieces sending shattered fan blades through the radiator.  Unfortunately, Spartan doesn't keep that particular radiator on the shelves, and claim it will take 12 weeks to manufacture a new one.  My motor home is stranded 1,000 miles from home.  The diesel repair facility is searching the country for a suitable replacement, but it doesn't look good.  Earlier this year, I needed a new starter that is specific for my engine and chassis combination.  They found only ONE in the entire country.  As much a we all pay for these homes on wheels, you'd think they would make parts commonly interchangeable, or make enough beyond what the amount the motor home manufacturer orders.  In this case, Spartan claims that Tiffin ordered 35 radiators, so the made just 35 radiators.  Hard to believe.  Anyone out there experience similar situations?

Is your unit rear facing or side facing.  The radiator should be able to be removed, recored, and replaced nearby. Side facing would be easier.

A starter that only fits your engine and chassis combo. Get outa hear.  What company would build that??? 

You are being fed a line of  nonsense. No one wants to be bothered with a real fix when they can milk you for more$$$. 

I have to agree with Brian. There are dozens of places that can rebuild radiators. Look here is just one.  https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeM0PuylMV8kn0NH1IBls4uIWvvu3z1p0abwFHvErOo0DS81ag-TQdhoC4GMQAvD_BwE

Do a search. What is the part number for the starter? 

54 minutes ago, Chezyrider said:

my fan clutch assembly seized up, broke up into a bunch of different pieces sending shattered fan blades through the radiator.  

There has to be more to this. Why how did it happen? Wrong fluid? Bad filter? Something got stuck in the fan?  Isn't this a hydraulic driven fan? 

Bill

When something fails on our coach and I have had a longer then expected replacement time. I carry a spare when on longer trips. Radiators and CAC's are a bit bigger though. Have had to have  a friend run down items, owned a  privet parts store and he would do the leg work, find items and ship them to me. Sadly he has passed away, so that little ace in my back pocket is no longer there . 

Should you have someone like him, you are very fortunate indeed !  

Rich.

Send a PM to Herman Mullins, he had a radiator built after market last year, while on the road to a Rally!  Agree with Byron and Bill...this is BS!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Send a PM to Herman Mullins, he had a radiator built after market last year, while on the road to a Rally!  Agree with Byron and Bill...this is BS!

Clarification, I was fortunate when my radiator gave out to be home. I called Coach Net and they had it towed to the repair shop. There I had it re cored. I did however called Source Engineering and found out they would make a unit but the cost was much more than the re core. 

10 hours ago, Chezyrider said:

Earlier this year, I needed a new starter that is specific for my engine and chassis combination. 

I find this hard to believe. Spartan doesn't make the engine or starter for the engine. You would have had either a Cummins, Cat or D/D and there would have been plenty of starters around, pricey but available.  

Herman

I had one of my radiators rebuilt two years ago, a shop here in Alabama took it apart, sent the core to Dallas Tx., to make a new core, had it all back together in less than a week, there was no need for expedition a there were no trips planned at that time. Cost was $2000.00. Two weeks later a got a return call from the OEM, diesel radiators in Chicago, they had mine in stock for $1586.00. Unfortunately when I called four weeks prior and left a message, my request had been misplaced, so they said. I'm also fortunate that there is an electric rebuild shop within 3 miles of home, I have not found an alternator, or starter that they could not rebuild yet.

I can still get every part I've needed to keep my 45-year-old coach running smoothly down the road. I find it hard to believe that something as simple as a radiator stumped a shop. Even if the tanks had to be fabricated from scratch it is not that difficult to make a radiator, and any decent truck radiator shop should have been able to handle this.