Mdrouin

ISX valve failures

15 hours ago, FIVE said:

Guaranteed for 100,000 miles or until it leaves the dealer's lot, which ever comes first.

So tail light warranty 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes it is. It is nice of you to order some of these engines in so you could test them for us. What HP are they set up for?

Bill

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

Ok  explain to me why they are set up for such low output? I am not in the business but it seems like a big heavy engine for such low output when it could be 605 and  2050 torque. 

Bill

12 speed transmission direct drive 252 rears. It will pull 80,000 all over the northeast at 68 MPH if I had to take a guess 7.5 MPG, plus it’s more aerodynamic.

The secret is the gears, if Motorhomes had those gears and aerodynamics we wouldn’t need so much HP and our MPGs would increase.

Keep in mind it wasn’t that long ago you were on top of the world with 400 hp in a truck (the norm was 350 HP) but you had 13-18 speeds back then.

I believe the torque is 1750, that’s also a big help.

So the ISX is found in many HR or Monaco Coaches.  I can't seem to find if they were "all bad" or certain years.  I am looking around the 2006 model years.  Seems to be the newer years but just not sure.

Search the truckers forums for ISX engine problems, you will find more than on RVing forums. From reading those forums, the 650HP version had the valve problems. Then there is the problem with  the EGR system clogging in the block

A man on irv2.com with the 650 ISX has $53K of repairs on his engine so far.(there are others) The thread is easy to find under the Cummins topic.

The ISX 650 HP RV version was discontinued as unreliable.https://www.capitalremanexchange.com/cummins-isx-history/

Edited by RayIN
updated to include links

Joe, your correct...the X450 is up to 1,750 ft. lbs.  now couple that with the Allison 10 speed, when it comes out...who needs a 605 hp ?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe, your correct...the X450 is up to 1,750 ft. lbs.  now couple that with the Allison 10 speed, when it comes out...who needs a 605 hp ?

You wouldn’t! 
Don’t forget certain years all horsepower ranges had ceramic plunger failures that destroyed the engine. Bearings don’t do well with shards of ceramic where there should be oil.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

Search the truckers forums for ISX engine problems, you will find more than on RVing forums. From reading those forums, the 650HP version had the valve problems. Then there is the problem with  the EGR system clogging in the block

A man on irv2.com with the 650 ISX has $53K of repairs on his engine so far.(there are others) The thread is easy to find under the Cummins topic.

The ISX 650 HP RV version was discontinued as unreliable.https://www.capitalremanexchange.com/cummins-isx-history/

Thanks I did search some of the other trucker links and forums.   Most of the topics don't give engine year or model which is why I am asking.  Some do and seem to be higher year than 2006.  Like the one you listed shows the engine was redesigned in 2010 which is after 2006.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:27 AM, jleamont said:

It was ALL ISX models that had problems, the problems depended on HP or year. 

The problems were different depending on HP. higher HP had Valve problems. They ALL had Ceramic Plunger issues with the injection pumps (this was based off of the engine year, not HP), camshaft issues and the list goes on.. below are a few examples on lower HP engines. 

Example 1; https://highwayandheavyparts.com/n-12896-cummins-isx-problems-and-failures.html

Example 2; http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-163822.html

Example 3; https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2409873

I have read all of this..  So "All" is every year the engine was created.  Got it All bad..Yes?

14 hours ago, Factor said:

I have read all of this..  So "All" is every year the engine was created.  Got it All bad..Yes?

If you find one that had all of the updates and its a lower HP rated engine I wouldn't be concerned as long as it has proper maintenance records to back it all up and so you know it was taken care of. 

Personally, the Cummins ISM or ISL would be my preference. 

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

had all of the updates and its a lower HP rated engine

So they do have the ability to be corrected so they dont fail based on the original design. EG get rid of the ceramic plungers and bad valves?

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Cummins ISM or ISL

Not the Detroit d60?   Since you are an ADS which diesels over all do you prefer to work on? Do you have a good list vs a bad list you could share?

I see you have a 2002 HR Imperial 40.  I think currently I want a 2006 HR imperial pdq.  If I can find one in say a yearish.  Have you liked that coach?  I can start a new topic as well if needed.

Just as a follow up. I am still curious.

"Ok  explain to me why they are set up for such low output? I am not in the business but it seems like a big heavy engine for such low output when it could be 605 and  2050 torque."

I would think the engine would be more efficient if it had more power and din't have to work as hard.

Bill

1 hour ago, Factor said:

Not the Detroit d60

Great engine! Series 60, I have never seen one in a Monaco product, that's why I didn't mention it. 

Bill, what I was referring to was the X12 not X15.  I would think that the X15 would weigh more than the X12.  Why get a X15/450 hp? I have no clue!  The X12 is a 400-500 hp engine & the 450 hp with 1750 ft. lbs. will run on the Allison 3000.  Maybe with the X15, 450 hp, they can get the same torque as the 605 !

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Great engine! Series 60, I have never seen one in a Monaco product, that's why I didn't mention it. 

It was and option on 2006 Monaco Executive. 

Correct, the same with Beaver!  Not sure, but I think it was on Signature also.

Monaco was the owner off Beaver, Holiday Rambler (got that from Harley Davidson), Safari, R-Vision, Road Master Chassis (bought that from Chrysler), McKenzi and it's own models!  

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, what I was referring to was the X12 not X15.  I would think that the X15 would weigh more than the X12.  Why get a X15/450 hp? I have no clue!  The X12 is a 400-500 hp engine & the 450 hp with 1750 ft. lbs. will run on the Allison 3000.  Maybe with the X15, 450 hp, they can get the same torque as the 605 !

Carl I was talking about the new ones Joe has coming in.

Bill

Yes Bill, I know.  The X12 is new also, then we can all wait until 2021, when the new, new comes out...EPA is still alive!!!