Mdrouin

ISX valve failures

Joe, if that's for real, then I'm as confused as Bill.

Why would Cummings have 30+ engines listed, if you can't buy them?  That makes no sense!

Ray, I don't do Truck Forums...most of the info don't pertain to RV's, OTR's put more miles & more stress on a engine in 10 days, than we do in a year+!

5 minutes ago, manholt said:

Why would Cummings have 30+ engines listed, if you can't buy them?  That makes no sense!

Chassis manufacture dictates that.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, if that's for real, then I'm as confused as Bill.

Ray, I don't do Truck Forums...most of the info don't pertain to RV's, OTR's put more miles & more stress on a engine in 10 days, than we do in a year+!

Carl, my point to reading trucker forums is exactly as you stated, they encounter and correct more problems in a much shorter time frame.While we MH owners are talking and scratching, they usually already have the engine problems solved.

re: Cummins engine lineup, OTR engines are the smaller part of their variety of engines.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, Factor said:

So they do have the ability to be corrected so they dont fail based on the original design. EG get rid of the ceramic plungers and bad valves?

Not the Detroit d60?   Since you are an ADS which diesels over all do you prefer to work on? Do you have a good list vs a bad list you could share?

I see you have a 2002 HR Imperial 40.  I think currently I want a 2006 HR imperial pdq.  If I can find one in say a yearish.  Have you liked that coach?  I can start a new topic as well if needed.

We have a 2004 HR Imperial PDT (mid entry door instead of the front bus style door) with the 400 HP ISL, great coach, our issue is with the previous owner and his love of upgrading electronics and adding gadgets (wasn't too good at the installation of them tho), the last 6 months has been spent chasing one electrical gremlin after another, we're now looking at a 06 Monaco Chateau 600 HP to replace it with.

IMG_13892.jpg

Is that a tag axle coach?  I know the Dynasty is!  06 or older Monaco is good..Monaco owned Beaver, HR, Safari, CC & their own line!

On 1/15/2020 at 10:30 AM, Gunnyjeep said:

06 Monaco Chateau

I would get the Detroit Series 60 if I could find it.    @Gunnyjeep A Chateau is a great choice for a coach.   I am leaning more toward a Dynasty.

https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2006

Engine options

Roadmaster S-Series: Semi-Monocoque Chassis

Cummins® ISM 500 HP Engine with Allison® 4000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission and Electronic Shifter Torque: (@1,300 RPM) 1,450 lbs./ft. Max. Net (Torque will be 1,550 lbs./ft. built after August 2005)

Engine Displacement: 661”/ 11.0L Dual Fuel Fill
270 Amp Alternator
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30:1

Tires: 295/80R/22.5
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Full-Cushion Air Glide Suspension with Ten Outboard Air Bags and Ten Bilstein
® Shock Absorbers
Air Suspension with Ping Tank Automatic Traction Control

Air Disc Brake System with ABS
Tag Axle with Anti-Lock Braking System Auto Slack Adjusters on Brakes Two-Stage Jacobs Engine Brake
Pre-Wire for Supplemental Braking System Engine Block Heater with Switch on Dash Automatic Air Leveling System Undercoating
10,000 Lb. Hitch Receiver and 7/4-Way Trailer Plug
Remote Inflation Connector

OPTIONS

Series 60 Detroit Diesel 515 HP Engine with Allison® 4000 MH 6-Speed
World Transmission and Electronic Shifter; Torque: 1,650 lbs./ft.; Engine Displacement: 858” Cu. In.

Cummins® ISX 525 HP Engine with Allison® 4000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission and Electronic Shifter; Torque: 1,650 lbs./ft.; Engine Displacement: 912” Cu. In.

Cummins® ISX 600 HP Engine with Allison® 4000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission and Electronic Shifter; Torque: 1,850 lbs./ft.; Engine Displacement: 912” Cu. In.

ADC RV 2-Position Adjustable Shock System

Hydraulic Leveling System
Dual Leveling System (Air/Hydraulic)

Monaco Signature 2006.pdf

On 1/15/2020 at 10:43 AM, manholt said:

Is that a tag axle coach?

Carl 

Yes it is.  It's the Signature.  Tag was Standard 

Tag Axle with Anti-Lock Braking System

Factor, DD60, 515 is a good engine.  So is the Cummins 500 ISL.  Don't worry or be impressed by HP & 100 Ft. Lbs, bigger the HP=$ at pump.  Also, a 525 will get to max torque about 10 seconds before the 500. 

The only problem with buying used is you may need to look a long time to find that optional configuration. I think I am going to see how a Cummins ISM 450 with 1500 lbs./ft of torque workes out just for the fun of it.

Bill

Bill, if you find that engine,  let me know!  The 425 gets 1,550 torque...the 450 is  1,450 and the 500 is 1,550!

The M11 evolved into the ISM & it was built up to 2010.  Mine is the 2009, 425 HP!

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The only problem with buying used is you may need to look a long time to find that optional configuration. I think I am going to see how a Cummins ISM 450 with 1500 lbs./ft of torque workes out just for the fun of it.

Bill

For sure and I am not stuck on an engine or a model currently.  @WILDEBILL308 Are you looking for different coach currently?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Bill, if you find that engine,  let me know! 

I will need the serial number to accurately verify what the Cummins website says. They show the 450 and 500 ISM at the same torque.

Bill

I have a 2008 Monaco Executive with the 525HP ISX with 135K miles. What can I do to make sure I don't have a failure from the valves or fuel injector pump on the road? Can I replace the head/valves with a rebuilt? Can the injector pump ceramic problem be preemptively fixed?

Kurt

Edited by kurtsimon
clarify fuel pump

4 hours ago, kurtsimon said:

I have a 2008 Monaco Executive with the 525HP ISX with 135K miles. What can I do to make sure I don't have a failure from the valves or fuel injector pump on the road? Can I replace the head/valves with a rebuilt? Can the injector pump ceramic problem be preemptively fixed?

Kurt

YES, you can call Cummins with your engine serial number and see if you have the problematic pump. If so they can recommend a place to have it swapped with the updated design 

Is there anyone  that has had a failure with the ISX 650 HP Cummins engine? Can you contact by sending me a PM (Personal Message)

Edited by hermanmullins
Safety

On 10/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, Mdrouin said:

I am trying to build a list of people who have had a valve failure or are concerned they may in the future. Please post here or message me if you can.

This is a open Forum, it's recommended that you don't list your personal phone or work #!  Ask anyone to send you a PM instead...jleamont is an excellent contact for info!

The list is already long! :ph34r: I have the new and improved version of the 600, to my knowledge, Cummins don't make the 650 anymore!   As RayIn  said, but that's only one out off 100 or perhaps a thousand, that you never will hear about. :wacko:🤬