rcieslak67

Annual License Fee For Motorhome

9 hours ago, Monk said:

2016 Pheaton

Indiana would have been $2880 the first year, reducing 10% over 10 years,  two years in Indiana would be $5472

South Dakota $576 every year for 10 years = $5760

Sold everything in Indiana, we are now domiciled in SD and no state income tax 

Happy in SD

As long as your "real" domicile is SD, you're in good shape....wish I was in a lower taxed state.  However, if SD is not your true domicile you're taking a big chance.

50 dollars/year registration renewel in Louisiana.

Also every two years get an inpsection for 20 dollars.

Where they get you when you buy a MH you pay 8% sales tax on selling price. Best thing to do is buy used!

According to Michigan Law, a motorhome in Michigan is licensed at the original sales price, so if your motorhome is 10 years or older, you get screwed for license plate fees as the fee is based on the original value of the motorhome. Or in other words you are going to get screwed.

I live in Arizona and just renewed my for 5 years.  Its a 98 36ft Discovery and the cost was $398 including the $25/yr fee for personalized plate.

MT has new laws coming out in Jan. 2020!  Luxury Tax on all RV's!  I just don't know if that will apply also to legal residents with MT DL or just LLC's!

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

may have missed it but does anyone have a coach registered in Georgia? I’ve heard that GA is quite expensive.

This was discussed on this forum, but a different thread.

If this is how it really works, the annual is rather cheap ($70.00 or $120.00), but if I understand correctly, a fee of up to 9% advalorium tax  is added upon title registration.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

This was discussed on this forum, but a different thread.

If this is how it really works, the annual is rather cheap ($70.00 or $120.00), but if I understand correctly, a fee of up to 9% advalorium tax  is added upon title registration.

Thank you, I remember that post once I opened it.

That's not as bad as Colorado, it was gonna cost me between $5-10k

And reduce it  maybe 10% a year. They go by actually cost of it new.

That's why I domicile in Florida where it cost me $195 for 2 vehicles for 2 years. 😎

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, manholt said:

MT has new laws coming out in Jan. 2020!  Luxury Tax on all RV's!  I just don't know if that will apply also to legal residents with MT DL or just LLC's!

That's actually a luxury tax of about $800 (give or take) on MH's valued at 300K or more new

Every year!  The one's I see with MT plates, are on coaches that cost way over $500K new.  Like mine, in 2012 it ran in excess of $700K + tax, in TX about $42K+!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Every year!  The one's I see with MT plates, are on coaches that cost way over $500K new.  Like mine, in 2012 it ran in excess of $700K + tax, in TX about $42K+!

The government seems to operate on,,,if he can spend that much on what they consider a luxury, they can bleed you a little more.

Ken

Ken.  MT did it because they got tired of LLC's and Atty's abusing the system, unfortunately it hurts their own 1 million people!  

5 hours ago, manholt said:

The one's I see with MT plates, are on coaches that cost way over $500K new.  Like mine, in 2012 it ran in excess of $700K + tax, in TX about $42K+!

So if someone saved >$40k by registering it (when new) in MT rather than TX, he could afford to pay the $800 luxury tax each year and would still be way ahead!  IMHO MT enacted this change simply because someone figured out that they could raise some additional revenue without having much of an affect on the number of RVs, planes and boats registered to MT LLC's.

1 hour ago, docj said:

So if someone saved >$40k by registering it (when new) in MT rather than TX, he could afford to pay the $800 luxury tax each year and would still be way ahead!  IMHO MT enacted this change simply because someone figured out that they could raise some additional revenue without having much of an affect on the number of RVs, planes and boats registered to MT LLC's.

Does Montana not have a sales tax?

Richard.

State tax is 0, but some cities do have their own sales tax, especially those that have a lot of tourists! 

The way I read it, there was a Luxury tax for  vehicles costing $150K or more and are less than 11 years old, of $825 an additional $800 for Motorhomes costing over $300K.  That's an annual fee!

44 minutes ago, manholt said:

The way I read it, there was a Luxury tax for  vehicles costing $150K or more and are less than 11 years old, of $825 an additional $800 for Motorhomes costing over $300K.  That's an annual fee!

Here's what I copied from one of the websites that forms MT LLCs.  Note that it speaks to MSRP values, not current.  That sounds odd.

An $800 – $825 luxury tax is charged by the state on vehicles with an original MSRP at or above $150,000 and RVs with an original MSRP at or above $300,000.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Like mine, in 2012 it ran in excess of $700K + tax, in TX about $42K+!

Yep, be glad you aren't paying taxes on the current new replacement King Aire.

King Aire price sticker.jpg