studebrucer

Dump stations at rest stops

Question

We recently learned that some of the rest stops on major highways have dump stations. After having googled and looking at several links, I cannot tell how to identify those stops that have them. Does anybody know how to readily identify these locations?

11 answers to this question

There are several travel plazas on the Ohio Turnpike with RV services, including hookups and dump station. There is a fee to use and the hours for overnight are restricted. I believe that the Ohio sites are listed on their Turnpike website.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

There are several travel plazas on the Ohio Turnpike with RV services, including hookups and dump station. There is a fee to use and the hours for overnight are restricted. I believe that the Ohio sites are listed on their Turnpike website.

Thanks, but I am lead to believe the interstates restops have them for no fee.

You'd have to search state by state. I just did a quick Google search using 'Interstate rv dump station' as the search term and found quite a bit of information. Apparently Washington State has at least a couple of dump stations at the rest areas. Louisiana has some rest stops with dump stations as well. Probably best to visit the DOT sites for the states you'll be traveling through and see which stops offer which services. I didn't realize how much the states post about their stations, but apparently there's a wealth of information, including which stops are closed for repairs, etc.

There are not many states that offer dump stations along major highways. Yes, they do exist, but if you are a dry camper do not wait a long time looking for one. With our first Class A, we did at least 80%, dry camping. Most if not all RV parks offer dumping tanks and fresh water replacement. Yes. For a charge. They have costs too. Never resented paying for services rendered. If your budget is that sensitive while owning an RV of any type, you might have picked the wrong  way to explore this great nation. 

Ditto for the payment part. I never expect others to underwrite our travels, and having a septic system at home I am fully aware that there are costs associated with removing waste. I believe that Flying J is only $10 or $11, not too much for a once a week expense on our coach.

If you have the RV card it is discounted to $7.50  the last time I used one about 1 month ago 

but they may vary by location and if company or private operator 

I-10 in Miss, AL & FL, have a lot of them, especially FL..With the new Federal Regulations, on OTR Trucks, States are scrambling to put in "Truck only rest stop's"!  IMHO, I suspect that "Free Dump for RV's", will become "Paid Dump"! :o:P State's have to re cope somehow and there are more RV's on the road today, than 20 years ago!

LA. has 3 welcome centers that I know is open, the one on I-10 E  was in construction mode again, April.  😡

Dump stations are far and few between at interstate rest stops.  Florida has a couple we have noticed and there has been just a handful in other states.  Some Cabela's stores will have one if they have dedicated RV lanes on the side of the store.  Most Love's will have one and most of those are situated out front instead of out back where the big rigs fuel.  

I have never found a site or publication that specifically lists all dump stations nationwide.