maxandiz@aol.com

Water Pump Replacement

Hello.

I'm considering replacing the stock 2.7GPM water pump in my Fleetwood Providence with a 4.0GPM pump. I currently have a 10-amp circuitbreaker. The new pump is rated to 10 amps max. Do I need any "overage" on the CB amperage or will this work fine?

Thanks.

Hello.

I'm considering replacing the stock 2.7GPM water pump in my Fleetwood Providence with a 4.0GPM pump. I currently have a 10-amp circuitbreaker. The new pump is rated to 10 amps max. Do I need any "overage" on the CB amperage or will this work fine?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

It is actually a little more complicated than that.

You are correct, you can not reliably run a load of 10 amps on a 10 amp breaker/fuse. I suspect the pump manufacturer speced a 15 amp or so breaker/fuse-- you might look that up or contact the pump manufacturer.

But, breakers/fuses are generally sized to protect the WIRE, so you will need to verify that the wiring (and relay if pump voltage goes through a relay) is appropriate for the higher load and breaker/fuse. Hopefully, it will be, but it is something you need to verify.

Brett

I replaced our original 2.4gpm pump with the Shurflow 5.7 smart sensor and after installing a battery monitor system and watching it's amperage draw I was amazed that it pulled 15amps once a faucet was turned off as it built up the pressure just before shut off. While running it draws around 8 to 10 amps.

I replaced my Surflo with a Surflo 4.0 to increase the water pressure. It was a simple plug and play. HOWEVER, the first replacement leaked and flooded the water pump compartment (separate and partially sealed in the Winne). Surflo said no warranty since the pump is not covered if it gets wet. But I liked the increased pressure so I purchased a second pump. This one overheated and stopped after about 6 months. In conversations with Surflo I was informed that the pump is not rated for continuous use, therefore no warranty. I purchased one more, and now turn the pump on and off when needed. No more leaving the pump on during travel. No more leaving the pump on overnight, or when the RV is being used as a guest house. The pump is turned on just prior to use, then turned off (most of the time). Inconvenient, yes, increased water pressure, yes. Therefore, I don't know what to tell you about upgrading, it is a tradeoff.