rayin

Tech Talk,

Page 41 if the Oct. 18 issue shows a picture of a white car attached to a MH with a tow bar. That tow bar appears to be outside the safe limits of operation. Ideally the tow bar should be level when they are attached, I understand the maximum out-of-level is 4". If the purpose of the magazine is education, the editor should choose pictures with this in mind IMO.

As noted in the text of the article in question, it is important to make sure the tow bar is reasonably level when connected. So, you make an excellent point and a good reminder for motorhome owners. This photo was supplied by Demco and shows their Dominator tow bar. Given their expertise, we believe they would have made sure the setup was within tolerances before taking the photo. And as Mark Quasius, the author of the article noted, when I questioned him about this, “We can’t see the whole picture. It’s possible the motorhome could be on a sloped surface that would lower the front of the coach, raising the back to make it look like the tow bar was at an excessive angle.”

Pamela Kay
Director of Communications, Publishing

Family RVing magazine

Assuming the author really said what you highlighted in blue, IMO it's sloppy editing to re-print a picture with such a blaring error. I suppose he has forgotten the majority of magazine readers are well-versed on the proper way to setup a tow bar and base-plate for safe and efficient towing.

Enough said on this topic, sounds like he is set in his ways from what you have posted.

May I suggest a  article for Mag "FamilyRVing"  explaining the correct way to tow, trailers ,cars and fifth wheels. 

SAFETY FIRST!

Tim the Mailman