bikeryder

Monaco Cayman [2003] Bedroom Slide Out Leaking

I am in need of replacing the rubber seals on the rear bedroom slide out on my 2003 Monaco Cayman. I've noticed it pools water on floor at rear corner of bedroom slide out. For the life of me I cannot detect any water entering the coach while a garden hose is applying significant amounts of water to the slide out. However, after a heavy rain I always notice saturated floor carpeting at read corner of bedroom slide out. With Monaco going bankrupt and purchased by Navistar are there any dealers I can take my Cayman for professional slide out seal replacement. Another thought I had are mobile RV technicians capable of performing such a service? Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Eddie, ... Monaco (& HR) are now owned by Fleetwood and have several service centers located across the country.  

Service Centers

As a little background, the Monaco and HR line of coaches has a history of slide leaks.  They leak from the top through the corner seams and the water flows to the bottom through the inside of the wall.  It will eventually pool enough to find a way out, so if the slide is in you'll see it on the floor.  It can take DAYS for the water to migrate to the bottom.  The slide needs to be inspected for floor rot, ... mine was found justin time and could be repaired.  Even if you can't make it to a factory service center they might be able to steer you to a qualified repair facility closer to you.

Bottom line ... It might not be your seals at all.  If the water has found its way through your walls then you'll have a difficult time finding it with a water hose.

Luck be with you!

Corkey thanks for your reply...

I definitely need a professional to diagnose and ultimately make the proper repair as I am at a loss at the moment.

Eddie

jleamont, that is a good question.

From my memory the seal which wraps around the opening is firmly against the opening on the outside of opening.

I will need to drop by my coach, open the slide and I'll take some photos.

Eddie

Eddie, are the seals flipping outwards when the slide is opened? 

On my Dynasty the slide has two seals. One on the inside to seal when the slide goes out all the way while the second is on outside to seal the slide when it comes in. What Joe is referring to is a wiper. On the slide is some rough material (sorta like sandpaper) that will cause the wiper to flip. Take a look at the wiper when the slide is out and make sure it is flipped out when the slide is out. If not water will run down the slide and can puddle the possibly penetrate past the seal and cause the wet floor.

Herman  

Also, make sure, there is nothing in your slide interior drain slot, that will prevent water from leaving coach as slide comes in after rain!  You have a 6" x 3/8"w x 1/8" to 1/2" d slot on each end of each slide on floor!  One of mine, catches dog food. :D

Good morning all...

I've taken several pictures from late yesterday afternoon. I'll post them here. Included photos will show water damage to carpet [and obviously the wooden floor beneath]. I'm truly puzzled as to where the water is entering the inside of my coach... 🤬

Eddie

IMG_9474.JPG

IMG_9478.JPG

IMG_9479.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

IMG_9513.JPG

IMG_9514.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9518.JPG

IMG_9520.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

IMG_9524.JPG

IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9528.JPG

IMG_9529.JPG

IMG_9530.JPG

IMG_9531.JPG

IMG_9532.JPG

IMG_9533.JPG

IMG_9545.JPG

IMG_9546.JPG

IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9557.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9569.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

IMG_9574.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9578.JPG

IMG_9580.JPG

IMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

Eddie, Looking at your pictures. I have had leaks develop where the rear cap and roof seam overlap on the roof. There is difference in the expansion and contraction coefficients between the fiberglass and the roof structure materials. 

A leak in the seam sealing compound - will develop over time and once water gets between the top edge and the outside  wall can travel unseen until it appears on the floor. You leak looks like it is at the top , near the opening for the slide wall from what I can tell from the water stained area.

Rich.

One photo the wiper seals on the front were not flipped outwards, I can tell you from experience on a Monaco product, if not flipped outwards it will leak and leak.. I also noticed a tear in the top right wiper seal. If it were me I'd replace the wiper seals on that slide. They just press in, but you will need to measure the size of the wiper seal and the length to make it all the way around the slide.

You can purchase them aftermarket on here;

https://rv.steelerubber.com/

Rubber seal needs to be lubricated.  I use 303 on all my rubber each month, I found that slide seals exposed to the elements, last about 12 years.  Also, a roof, with all it's seams, need to be checked every 3 years and caulking replaced when it dries out.  I don't like the look of your end cap and under your slide awning!  Your leak, is called capillary action and Murphy's Law! :o 

Thanks everyone for your many contributions. Now I have a better understanding on how slide seals should appear [flipped outward] and how to properly maintain the seals [lubricated] to provide a longer life. I just recently had my seams on the roof resealed, so I'm quite sure nothing is leaking from those [Believe it or not the end cap is sealed, I know the photo appears to indicate the seal to be bad]. As far as under my slide awning, what exactly should I be paying close attention to?

Eddie

The Dicor covering of the top off slide out, not  often but they also dry out and need replacement.  Just because you have a slide topper, does not mean that dirt, leaves can not blow in!  Keep your slide out clean.

The first rule here is do not, I repeat do not trust the folks that tell you it is all sealed up. You need to look more closely. I can see several places that look suspicious. Sorry with out really looking at it hard to be sure. I have a friend that bought a coach fully sealed and in a couple rains in the Pacific Northwest filled the grey water tank through the shower drain. You need to educate yourself as to the issue, to solve the issue. cleanseal.com another source for seals. Fleetwood does not own monaco name REV does  

REV owns Monaco, Fleetwood (including American Coach), Holiday Rambler, Renegade.  A new Safari, has not been built, but I think they own it also.

Good evening all,

Sorry I’ve been away for so long, unfortunately work tends to get in the way of the things I truly enjoy in life.

The really good news for me is I discovered the mystery of my bedroom slide water leak. After much research it turned out to be another Monaco factory defect. Simply stated silicone was missing on the lower right hand corner of slide out facia trim piece. All this time I wrongly assumed the factory applied silicone under the trim, as not to mess up the paint job. This was not the case. After applying much water (with slides in) water continued to find its way onto my bedroom carpet. Long story short... water made its way down behind lower right hand corner of slideout facia trim. Then as the volume of water built up behind the trim it traveled on top of angle iron [about 1 1/2” wide], which allowed water to travel over and beyond rubber seals, then dripping [as if it were a waterfall] onto bedroom carpet. {You can see where I’ve applied silicone at bottom slideout trim piece} Pictures attached...

Leak problem solved. Now, when I can afford I will replace interior bedroom flooring.

Eddie

4C5732C6-36AD-4B6C-8AC1-17EFA688CDA1.jpeg

8C98997F-EC67-4D67-8A47-174A5F0967AA.jpeg

6CFEB884-3AB3-4DE8-84F1-15675FA657E1.jpeg

265593E3-FE6B-479E-B9AA-061014DD5A3A.jpeg

4DFD24CC-8391-459D-B0BB-2AADECD8C629.jpeg

Yes, I re-water tested after applying the silicone, and as far as I can determine the leak has been rectified. One thing I know for certain is water no longer migrates down behind lower facia trim. After the next hard rain  I’ll know. Fingers crossed . . .

Eddie