dkontz6234

Coolant in the oil

I have a Cummins 400 diesel engine and I have coolant in the oil.  I had the oil cooler replaced and it happened again.  Any ideas on what else could cause this?

4 hours ago, dkontz6234 said:

I have a Cummins 400 diesel engine and I have coolant in the oil.  I had the oil cooler replaced and it happened again.  Any ideas on what else could cause this?

There is a possibility of a blown head gasket, cracked  head.

Engine running Rough or white smoke in the exhaust?

What year is the Coach / Engine ?

Rich.

As suggested, DON'T guess.  Do a pressure test and verify exactly where the leak is.  Could be minor or major, but, as Steve said, it needs to be handled before you do significant engine damage.

The coach is a 2008.  After they replaced the oil cooler they did a pressure test and everything checked out  They took out for a test drive and checked it again, and there were no problems.  I drove it 32 to miles to a park where we are staying.  I didn't check anything when I got here, but 3 weeks later I started the engine and the low coolant light came on.  I checked the oil and it was a milky grey color.  I have an appointment to have it towed back to Frieghtliner next week.

dekontz6234

3 weeks later I started the engine and the low coolant light came on.  I checked the oil and it was a milky grey color. 

From the time you parked the coach at the park, was the engine ever restarted? 

Like Carl asked, What was the ambient temperature swing from cool morning to the high point during the day; over the 21 days? 

Rich.

Find the leak before any repairs, I had 40 years at Cummins Ct. There are many places coolant can get into the oil.  If you do  any disassembly before finding the leak you have are playing the guessing game.

Personally, MHO, I would take the coach to Cummins. :) It's their engine!  If I had a chassis problem, then Freightliner or Spartan! 

dekontz6234

I do not disagree with Carl, cmarq or Herman.

When the Engine is running - oil pressure is higher then the coolant pressure  and when the engine is hot and not running  - The coolant pressure is higher then the oil pressure. From your information / there is no oil in the coolant - only coolant in the oil. One way cross barrier transfer from coolant to oil? Water pump issue?

Engines are setup different for different applications - Water cooled air compressor?

Good luck !

Rich. 

I have seen everything from Cylinder cavitation, multiple oil coolers fail, Air Compressor leaking, all ended up with coolant into the crankcase and sadly all long before 100,000 miles. As Carl Mentioned, Cummins dealer would be my 1st choice, 2nd would be a Freightliner dealer with the Cummins licensing. 

Pressure test the entire cooling system in order to find where the coolant is entering the oiling system. You know the oil cooler is fine. The coolant system is not. It could be a number of places. Apparently you need a real mechanic...just sayin...maybe  What you learned from the oil cooler check is that it is not your issue...

Apparently you need a real mechanic...just sayin."

The coach was at a certified Cummins service center.  They have worked on my coach since I bought it in 2013.

Not every problem which causes oil-coolant crossover can be found with a pressure test, especially problems which happen only when the engine is being operated.

They did a pressure test - no problem found. Yet, you still have a problem. Not many choices here - either take it back to them to have another crack at it or find another shop to get a second opinion. No matter how good a shop is, there are times they miss things. As already mentioned, there is a long list of things which can cause the problem.

Many of the possibilities in this situation are expensive to repair, so hopefully it will turn out to be something external which can be easily repaired.

dk,

Not being a smart alex but everyone agrees that you had it pressured tested and it checked out good. But thing happen over time or in the blink of the eye. Please take it back to the shop you trust and tell them what has happened since they tested it before. 

That is the best advice I and everyone else can give you.

Herman 

Herman, Richard.  You got my vote! 

dk.  After the pressure test, how far, long and under what conditions was the test drive, before the next test...did it sit & cool off or was it done right away?

34 minutes ago, dkontz6234 said:

Not sure if the pressure test was done right after the test drive or after it sat for awhile.  Does that make a difference?

The answer is "it could" (make a difference).

Heat expands/cold contracts.  So cold can cause some things to leak worse.

But, more pressure in both oil and coolant systems with engine running, so somethings leak worse then (not related to pressure test, but very relevant for when you are driving).