richard5933

Something to avoid

If you watch the video of the bus crossing carefully, you'll see that he clips the horizontal yellow warning sign with the roof of the bus.

Can't believe that a driver missed all those signs and warnings. Almost seems like he did this on purpose knowing the risk. Just a supposition on my part.

First off, just based on the video if authorities can track down the idiot he/she should be cited.  

If this bridge was on a route I had planned there would be two ways I would have been warned prior to even heading out that day.  First of all one of my two dedicated RV GPS units would refuse to route me to it, secondly when I would have reviewed my Trucker's Atlas I would have discovered the low clearance plus the weight limitation.  

This should make an interesting read for anyone in a 20 ton RV or larger that uses car style GPS mapping and doesn't own a commercial Trucker's Atlas.  

Something to avoid for sure but have you ever been on a road where the bridge limit was under what you weighed and there was no place to turn around?  What to do?

My old MH was 13.5 tons and the new one is 23.5 tons, not including car. Coming up to a bridge with a weight restriction sign at the base of the bridge is not a very good option.

How many have run into this situation and what did you do?

Wayne, twice in NH.  Both times, nothing until the bridge.  I unhitched toad & DW parked it off  the road & I backed the coach out, about a mile before I could do a U turn...amazing how rude or stubborn some of the drivers where.  Most figured it out and helped by clearing traffic! 

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Something to avoid for sure but have you ever been on a road where the bridge limit was under what you weighed and there was no place to turn around?  What to do?

My old MH was 13.5 tons and the new one is 23.5 tons, not including car. Coming up to a bridge with a weight restriction sign at the base of the bridge is not a very good option.

How many have run into this situation and what did you do?

In this instance there were apparently many, many warnings prior to the last turn-off point.

I have had a similar problem coming out of Sioux Falls SD. Got to the last stop sign at the top of a steep climb up from the falls park area and couldn't get started again without burning out the clutch. I called the police, and they sent a squad car to block traffic while I backed down the hill. Seemed like I wasn't the first driver this has happened to, as the officer was aware of what to do. Needless to say, it wasn't my best day driving and I had to just admit I screwed up not better checking the route before driving.

I'm quite sure that they would rather send a squad (or two) to help a driver back out of a bad situation rather than send a search and rescue team out to look for bodies in the river. Sometimes it's better to swallow ones pride and call for help.

One time for us, I unhitched the toad, pulled into a lumber company turned around, reconnected the toad and drove off. 

23 hours ago, manholt said:

I unhitched toad & DW parked it off  the road & I backed the coach out, about a mile before I could do a U turn...amazing how rude or stubborn some of the drivers where.  Most figured it out and helped by clearing traffic! 

Been there and done that same thing. Once came to an overpass that was too low, a deputy sheriff was behind, he got out and climbed up my ladder to watch to make sure no hangups, I dropped the air in the air bags, and made it with a half inch clearance. Strange thing, there was a state CG just on the other side of the overpass with signs directing campers to go that way, go figure this.:wub:

My incident happened in Miles City Montana. We were headed west on I-94 and were going to spend the night in the KOA in Miles City. We decided to get off on state 12 which is a nice road and check out some gas stations and follow it to the campground. Right on Main street at state 94 there is a underpass under the railroad tracks. The overpass is 11' 5" and the warning signs start where the road starts to dip down. I was lucky as I stopped and no one behind me ran into me. there is a road to the left that you can use to get over the RR tracks not real smooth but doable. 

You can save all the excitement by coming in on state 94 on the westside of town.:lol:

After geting setup we went out in the toad and hapend to go back under the bridge. Traffic was bad because someone had a class A gas coach stuck under the bridge up to the front AC unit. :o

Bill 

I've been it that situation 2X, then bought a Rand McNally RV7730 and set it up with weight, height and length of our MH, it's never happened again, the repeated warnings from the RM are the reason.

A few year ago a woman truck driver got stuck on a Indiana highway bridge  due to falling through the bridge floor. When the state police asked why she  ignored the load limit signs(14T) she said "my manifest shows my weight in pounds and I don't know how to  change that to tons. Yep, it really happened, the local newspaper had pictures in the article.

Here it is only 4 years later/sic and the state is in the process of building a replacement bridge. In the meantime the state patched the bridge floor and re-opened it to traffic with the same 14T weight limit.😱