poerjrjr

Winterizing Access panels question

I have a FR Forester and to winterize it I remove 2 fiberboard panels (4 screws each) to access the valves and siphon hose to winterize. The panels are cheap fiberboard and the screws are beginning to wallow out. Has anyone found a different (hopefully better) method to attach the panels so they stay in place (one is in the kitchen area in walkway) and yet allow easy access when needed ? I can see this only getting worse as they get older.  I appreciate any advice you can offer this newbie here. Thanks

poerjrjr,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Is it the panel that is wallowing out or what it is screwed into?

If the panel itself, can you make a substitute panel from luan or other thin plywood and stain/paint to match the interior decor?

If it is what it is screwed to, I use a thin piece of aluminum larger than the hole, attached with  a new screw on each side of the current hole, then use a new sheet metal screw to attach the old panel. Of course I use flat head screws to attach the aluminum layover.

I have used wooden matches, the small or larger kitchen matches - cut to the proper length, soak it in water for about 20 min.(water is the catalyst for the glue) / put some Gorilla glue on the little dowel. Place it in the over sized hole  and let it dry over night. The excess can be removed with a pocket knife - so it is level with the wood and use the same screws to hold the cover.

NOTE, The glue expands - so one does not need much more the 2 small drops for small holes. Larger holes and dowels will require  3 to 6  drops. Bigger to fix the more glue required.

Rich. 

Thank you all for the suggestions. The panel & screws are the current attachment method and I believe each of the posted suggestions can work to preserve/repair the screw in version. What I am hoping to find is a way to attach the panels that does not use screws. I don't want to keep putting a bandage on a  seldom accessed panel but if I cannot find a better attachment mechanism I will definitely apply these solutions. Thanks!

Have you tried velcro? I often use velcro to hold up pictures and such. It works very well and is easy to remove if need be.  Should work on your panel. Just by the peel off adhesive backed velcro and stick to onexside to your panel and the other to the wall. 

Thanks for the velcro idea. Don't know if this will cover or not but will give it a try. I will probably have to add a tab or knob or something to grab so I can pull it open when needed but that is easy. Thanks for the idea - will let you know how it turns out.