fagnaml

Keep or Trade Current Motorhome?

My wife and I purchased our current motorhome three years ago for $67,000 as our first upgrade from the travel trailer we owned.   At that time our 2007 Damon Astoria was eight years old and had a small 4,700 miles of use.  It now eleven years old.  During our three years of ownership we have had several somewhat low cost repairs to do most of which were covered by my XtraRide extended service contract.   I "blame" these repairs on lack of use for the first eight years of life:

• Replace sway bar
  • Replace track bar bushings
  • Replace original equipment dashboard A/C compressor and low pressure return hose
  • Replace engine serpentine belt (which shredded when original A/C compressor locked-up)
  • Replace the Lippert controller for each the big driver and passenger side slide-outs
  • Replace "four-pack" air pressure /engine temp / fuel level dashboard gauge (had internal, loud air leak)
  • Replace "burned out" Iota Engineering automatic transfer switch
  • Replace five year old coach batteries (two of them)
  • Now need to replace starter relay and/or solenoid to resolve sporadic "engine won't start" problem

With this starter relay/solenoid problem, my wife actually said "maybe we should consider a newer motorhome" which stunned me!   Overall our Astoria is in great shape and looks almost new inside and out (a few of the burgundy vinyl decals have started to crack which is not unexpected).

Yes we could trade for a newer, 3-5 year old motorhome, but I wonder about the "economics" of doing so.  The repairs we've had to do I blame on "minimal" use during the first eight years of the motorhome's life.  These repairs I'd guess are also common to most motorhomes that are over 3-5 year old (??).

For forum members that have owned more than one motorhome, are the repairs I've experienced "typical" for an older motorhome?   What prompted you to make your second, third, or more motorhome purchases?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

If the coach meets your needs (size, layout, etc) KEEP IT.  You know it well and have it "up to snuff".

OR, get a newer coach and likely go through the same kind of teething issues.

All three of the DP's we have owned over the last 20 years have required more maintenance to bring them "up to snuff" in the first 6 months than in quite a number of years thereafter.

Mike, do you have a 2006 chassis?  Wish I still did.  But, you might want to ask Cindy, why she want's a newer coach!  Are most of the coaches, newer or bigger than yours at the LSU games?  If that's not a issue, then get the graphics changed and keep the coach, until you retire!  As Brett said & even a new one, will have Gremlins! :)

As for why I have had, 17 coaches, in 51+ years?  One of my boats, was named. "Never Satisfied"! :D

I hate to tell people what they should spend their money on, well not really.:P

What I will say is at the rally I was at last week we had a little round table discussion of tech problems. I was surprised how many were having problems with the coaches that needed DEF. One member had sold his diesel coach to buy a gas coach that didn't need DEF and he wouldn't have to deal with the problems of using DEF. So I would look at buying something pre DEF and pre exhaust filter. 

I would say this buying a newer coach WILL NOT guarantee you won't have similar problems to what you are having right now. You could have even more problems. Buying motorhomes is not like buying cars. Buying newer doesn't seen buying problem free. Yes I wish all motorhomes were made as well as my Honda but they are made more like a Yugo.

Bill

What I have found to be true, among all manufacturers, is their entry level DP's are more reliable and gremlin free, than other models...since the sub prime fiasco! 

My opinion is slightly biased towards older vehicles, but I'll offer it anyhow.

If your current rig meets your needs, then keep it. If you and/or your wife want some features that you don't have that are offered in the newer models, then go for it.

Reliability and maintenance issues shouldn't really be a factor. Take a look on this and other RV forums and you'll see lots and lots of very new coaches having all sorts of problems. True, you might have a warranty for a short time, but you'll also have a wait list at the dealership to get those repaired. I've read about some people having success getting problems dealt with quickly, while others seems to have their rigs wallow at the dealership for the better part of a camping season.

We have a 45-year-old coach. I do have to admit to having a good chuckle now and then when I read about a brand-new coach with more problems than ours. Seems like spending half a million on a new coach doesn't mean that you won't have quality problems.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the problems on your rig. Two of the items on your list were just maintenance items that would be expected on any rig (bushings and batteries). Trade it for a newer one and you'll just be trading a basket of known issues for a basket of unknown issues. There will be issues.

I've had lots of vintage and older vehicles, some used as daily drivers. The only time I really consider trading for something newer is when I no longer trust the vehicle - that would be trust the reliability of the vehicle to get me where I'm going (and back again) and/or trust the safety of the vehicle. There are lots of factors that go into this matrix, and they are different for each of us. You are the only ones that can make the determination as to whether you trust the rig you currently have.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, manholt said:

then get the graphics changed and keep the coach

Almost any vinyl graphic sign shop can duplicate the graphics on most coaches, and will be glad to change them out, or sell you the duplication and let you change them out for a discounted price, very easy to do this, and usually last 9 to 12 years before need to be replaced again. If you decide to do this, be sure to ask for vinyl with built in UV protection.

Thanks for the many responses!   I told my wife that "all" motorhome owners have similar repair items that we have experienced regardless of the age of the motorhome.   It's having several repairs close together that caused her concern that we may have a "lemon".   I told her our total investment is now about $77,000  (purchase price plus repairs) which is much cheaper than the $200,000+ price for a two year old Thor Aria (similar floor plan/amenities which replaced the Damon Astoria when Thor retired the Damon name).

Since the Astoria still looks mostly new, except for cracked burgundy vinyl graphics, she's a keeper  especially after reading about the DEF system problems on the forum.  It's nice to have a 2007 model year motorhome which to my understanding was the last pre-DEF, pre-exhaust filter year. 

Responding to Carl's question about the chassis, "yes" my motorhome is built on a Freightliner XC Raised Rail chassis.  Big basement compartments to carry bulky, but low weight LSU tailgating "stuff" such as my portable Winguard Carry-out satellite "bubble", a couple of plastic

For reference, a few months ago I found the sales brochure for 2007 Damon Astorias which I think are pretty well equipped for an "entry" level diesel pusher motorhome.  Does the forum agree?

2007_Damon_Astoria_Motorhome.pdf