beggert1@comcast.net

Towing a VW Beetle Manual Transmission

Beggert,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What year? One of the old air cooled beetles or one of the new front wheel drive water cooled ones?

VERY different drivetrains.

I have a friend who has towed a VW Beetle (standard trans) for seven years...four wheels down...no problem. He called VW first & they would not guarantee four wheels down, but he went ahead & seven years later...no problem.

We have just purchased a 2010 VW Jetta TDI with manual transmission to flat tow with our RV. I have check with the technical people at my dealership and others and was told as long as we had a manual transmission and placed it in nutral we would be fine.

I have also learned there is no reason to keep the key in the on position to prevent the steering wheel from locking. On this model if you turn the key to off but DO NOT remove it the steering wheel will not lock.

If you have an automatic transmission you must us a tow dolly and keep the front wheels off the ground. Our previous VW was an Jetta TDI with automatic and we had to use a tow dolly. We towed that car for about 10k miles with no problems.

Dennis

Mandalay 08 40G

I had been considering an older air-cooled VW, thinking it would probably be OK, but wonder about the light weight of the front axle, whether there might be problems with the wheels turning and tracking properly during moderate to sharp turns. Anyone have experience with this? We used to add bricks or sandbags in the front trunk to improve stability in crosswinds!

Thanks

Jim

I had been considering an older air-cooled VW, thinking it would probably be OK, but wonder about the light weight of the front axle, whether there might be problems with the wheels turning and tracking properly during moderate to sharp turns. Anyone have experience with this? We used to add bricks or sandbags in the front trunk to improve stability in crosswinds!

Thanks

Jim

Jim I know I'm late in replying but thought I post anyway.

We towed a Standard 1972 VW Beetle for about a year until it was rear-ended & totaled.

In that year it was towed close to 7000 miles with no problem. We used the standard VW Beetle tow bar that can be bought for $100 or less.

Here are pics of the 72 Beetle before & after it was totaled.

http://we2rv.com/

Now we tow a 1973 standard VW Beetle and so far we have owed it about 3000 miles.

If you have any questions you can contact me via PM or post it here.

Mike

We tow a 2002 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed manual Transmission. No Problems, can't even tell it's back there. The 99.5 thru 2004 (MKV Platform) Jettas share the same platform & drivetrain as the Beatles so it would be OK if & only if it is a manual transmission.

I am looking at buying a 5 Speed manual tranny 07 VW GTI which I think has the same transmisson as a Jetta, I read the manual. It didn't really say, but it did say you could not tow an automatic.

Do you know if I can Flat Tow this Vehicle, it is not listed under 2007 Towable in FCMA.

RBirt