Sign in to follow this  
marysteeves

Arizona CG's big rig and trailer accessible

Hey there, we have a rig and trailer combo 75 feet long, and are heading to Arizona Nov 2018. We have a side by side and are looking for an easy to get around campground/resort that is close to trailheads for atving and are in the Yuma or Phoenix/ Apache junction areas. Ideally we would like to leave trailer hooked to rig when parked for convenience but are prepared to unhook and have the trailer nearby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

marysteeves.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

What make, model rig and same for trailer, please.  75 foot, is 10 feet more than most States allow!

Since it's real late in the season, it's difficult enough to find a good Park with a space.  Only place I can think off, is Leaf Verde in Buckeye, AZ.  I will just guess that you have a Totter or Koni, Stacker combo.  

Go to any Chamber of Commerce in ref. of ATV/Jeep trails...there is a book that has listing of most trails in AZ.  They don't differentiate between Dirt Bike, ATV or Jeep in AZ.

Your Welcome 

5 hours ago, marysteeves said:

Hey there, we have a rig and trailer combo 75 feet long, and are heading to Arizona Nov 2018. We have a side by side and are looking for an easy to get around campground/resort that is close to trailheads for atving and are in the Yuma or Phoenix/ Apache junction areas. Ideally we would like to leave trailer hooked to rig when parked for convenience but are prepared to unhook and have the trailer nearby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Here are some tools I use when looking for a place to stay. 

http://www.rvparky.com/

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

https://www.nps.gov/index.htm

One of the best tools is once you find a place, use your phone to call and ask questions and see of they have an opening. 

Bill

Thanks! Your info is appreciated. I've been racking up the long distance phone bill lately,😊

We are spontaneous and never plan too far in advance, life is more interesting that way.

Here we go again.🙄 It is not uncommon for 18 wheelers to be well over 70 ft.  The rule after re-regulation was a 53foot long trailer and a large tractor if you had the money and so chose. Some power units are amazing in their luxury and length.  They are not bothered on Interstate's by the authorities.

The rules governing recreational vehicles are all over the map, outdated, and often not enforced. You will probably be well treated out west, but not so much if you venture off an Interstate on to the skinny roads we have out east.

Yes! There could legal issues if you were involved in an accident on a side road. We will all be advised about that shortly.😎

When hauling a 53 foot trailer as a trucker, I was usually between 71 to 72 feet front to rear, and there were trucks out there longer than mine. Jealous I was. Good luck and stay west. There seem to be many parks out west with very lengthy pull thru sites. 

Byron.

I personally don't care if their length is 65 or 105, but finding a space or two, in West "Snowbird Land", at this late date, in a nice resort, is going to be difficult.  Same here in South Texas or South Florida!  Their best chance would probably be around Salton sea, AZ or Colorado river in AZ/CA.  When I had to be close to Mother, I stayed at the Blake Rock Ranch RV Park, Kingman, AZ.  Used toad back and forth to Santa Monica, CA.  Kingman area, offered me some fantastic off roading, in the mountains and out towards Lake Mead  & the Ute reservation!

5 hours ago, marysteeves said:

Thanks! Your info is appreciated. I've been racking up the long distance phone bill lately,😊

We are spontaneous and never plan too far in advance, life is more interesting that way.

Then Ithink you should shut the phone off and just go. I am sure you will have a interesting time.:D

Been by the Salton Sea in California many times. Always along the west shore and in the winter. On my way to the Holtville CA area to load produce east. Did not notice rv parks , but I was not looking. I was working. Gotta be some places still available somewhere in the warm areas of CA or Az. Hey! Maybe boondocking in the Quartzite area. Bill Edwards would know.

You might try Pioneer RV Park north of Phoenix near Anthem Az., they have some pull thrus that would be able to accommodate your unit.

Copper RV Park, Tacna, AZ.  Big, long spaces, 20 miles east of Yuma on I-8, caters to off roading!  No Rail road tracks, noise!