wvujazzman

Winterizing issues - 2003 Dutch Star

Hi Folks,

Went out to my coach to winterize it today, and the water pump isn't pulling the antifreeze through the siphon hose.  I have the low point valves closed, the normal supply valve closed, and the siphon hose valve open.  I've removed the whole house water filter and even filled that container with antifreeze.  Hot water heater is drained in bypass mode.  In short, I've followed all the Newmar directions and I think I've done everything correctly, but no AF in the system.  About the only thing I can think of is that I've got a bad siphon valve, so I'll try to replace that tomorrow.  Any other ideas?  The water pump is brand new and was working with water 15 mins before trying with AF. 

I'm stumped... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Sometimes my pump does the same, has since new. I installed a longer hose to use to pull antifreeze into the pump, and then raise the gallon jug a few feet above the level of the pump. Also helps if there is a faucet fully open so that it's not fighting against the pressure inside.

Thanks Richard... I have about 3 feet of hose, but it would be pretty simple to install a longer siphon.  I did have a faucet open, but I'll try raising the jug as well - didn't think about that.

most pumps do not have alot of lift so you could raise the hose and pour some in to prime pump then keep jug as high as you can 

Eric

It has happen to me in the past, 50 plus years of camping.

But , if you load the siphon  tube with fluid and cycle the pump

you will prime pump , top off siphon tube put in bottle, problem

is solved. I have added a longer tube to add volume for the siphon tube,

for prime. Yes the jug should be higher than the pump.

Tim the Mailman

Winnebago Itasca Cambria 2014 32 ft Class C