dickandlois

Coolant Compatibility Chart

This coolant question came up regarding the compatibility of different manufactures and the colors. There are some that can be mixed and others that do not. 

The real issue here might be to remember or know, what is in the cooling system from the Coach builder and or what was used when the cooling system was repaired or flushed.

This link will confuse the issue, but it also points out that different colors can be the same mix or that they might not be compatible. So be ready to ask questions of the Coach builders and or the engine builders preference's.

http://www.solventsandpetroleum.com/uploads/6/0/3/7/60372849/_profleet-compatibility-chart.pdf

Rich.

So, best advice is to carry a spare gallon of whatever coolant you have.

Mixing different coolants MAY work, but you are always 100% sure if you only use what is already in there.

And, if changing, I have a preference for the engine manufacturer's brand.  That way if you are ever in for service, you KNOW they will have the correct coolant.

So for Cummins, one of the Fleetguard products.  For Caterpillar I like Caterpillar ELC.

Thanks Brett !  Also remember that different automobile manufactures are using the OAT and HOAT coolants. So one might want to know and carry some of the proper coolant for the towed. 

One does have the ability in most cases to move the Towed, but knowing what is in the cooling system for them is a time saver and offers specifications that can prevent compatibility issues.

There are auto suppliers who have charts also, but they all can be confusing - so always ask questions when adding, or replacing coolant. Some  antifreeze use organic acids and others use silicates to provide protection for aluminium surfaces.

Rich.  

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Great chart Rich! any idea how old it is, no dates?

Joe, There is an 800 number for the technical department in the upper left hand corner.

They are located in Syracuse N.Y. Just down the road a few miles.

Think you can also get a print out of the chart to place on the wall

Rich.

17 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I'm running the same at this time and I use the same in the Onan. Have different coolant in the Towd. 

Think this is relatively up to date chart. Have to admit that I did not look for a date. They did offer an 800 number and an address. Have / had an older one on the wall / that I found a few years back, but did not up date it for years. Doing way less work on things then I did 5 years ago. 

At an age where it is more fun playing with fewer engines and old cars, but it has been a hobby for nearly 65 years. Things where much simpler back then. Can not climb on top of an engine  and have room to eat lunch anymore ! LOL

Rich.

Rich --

The chart you provided is very timely!   While my motorhome is at RV Masters in Houston for starter replacement (bad solenoid which is integral to the starter) I'm also having them service the coolant system (drain, flush, refill) as I have no record of the coolant ever being changed since it was "new" in 2007 (I thought I had the coolant changed when I purchased the motorhome three years ago but nothing on the list of work done by PPL Motorhomes at that time).  The owner's manual for my 300 HP Cummins ISB engine says change the coolant every three years regardless of mileage!   I'm hoping that the long delayed coolant change has not caused any problems with my coolant system (the engine has 16,800 miles of use) !!

RV Masters uses the Peak brand Final Charge Global Extended Life coolant -->  https://www.peakhd.com/product/final-charge/oat-extended-life-coolant-antifreeze/  I've had good luck with Peak brand coolants for my automobiles so I presume Final Charge coolant will perform well for my motorhome's engine (??).

I just now reached the "coolant" section of Motorhome 101 class so I'd appreciate any comments the forum has on:

1) Any bad things from not changing the coolant for perhaps as long as ten years?

2) Is the Peak brand Final Charge coolant a good choice?

Mike, The Big issue that needs to be covered is the required acid protection - because I think you have a cylinder sleeved engine block?

The product you are considering looks like it will work.

Did they or have you ask what an analysis of the old coolant revealed ? 

I just read your post and have not looked at the chemical mix used by Peak.

I did find this information, Not sure when it was released to the market, but  in some of there literature.  

The patented inhibitor system used in Final Charge coolant is formulated with Contamination Tolerant Additives and is fully compatible with all coolant technologies, according to the company. Kind of open ended, but full compatibility? Question that a little, if you continue to use the same product - they sound like, they will stand behind it for more miles then most Coach owners will drive. 

The tour buses might give it a run to its maximum mileage. 

Rich.

Folks --

I need to resurrect this discussion after had some time to learn more about my "new to me" Ventana LE.   One thing I discovered this past weekend is the radiator has a yellow label stating "Only Use Purple Coolant such as Shell xxx"  (I can't remember the exact Shell type while sitting at my desk).   I was surprised to see that label and the words "purple coolant" as late last year I had the coolant changed in my 2007 Damon Astoria (which is on a Freightliner XCR chassis and RV Masters in Houston chose to use PEAK Final Charge "red" coolant for the refill.

I asked Newmar via its website about the coolant type for my MH and their response was "contact the chassis manufacturer".  So, during lunch I called the Freightliner Custom Chassis "24/7 Direct" and the "expert" I spoke to said that FCC has the following requirements for engine coolant:

1) Use 50/50 pre-mix

2) Ethylene Glycol coolant with SCAs

3) Test SCAs regularly and add SCAs as necessary

4) Change coolant at 100,000 miles / 5 years whichever occurs first

Then I Googled for this coolant specs a found that major manufactures (Shell, Prestone, etc.) make a 'fully formulated' coolant with SCAs and the color is purple.    I also call Cummins and they stated for my 6.7L 350 HP ISB engine that the "red" extended life coolant was OK.  

Since Cummins says "red coolant" is OK for ISB engines, I quite curious about why Freightliner Custom Chassis uses the "purple" coolant with SCAs.   Any thoughts from the forum?

Mike, Thinking on my end is as long as the SCA requirements are covered. Color / Compatibility  is not a real issue in your case because the system was flushed and cleaned before the Red extended life was placed in the cooling system an Cummings is happy with the choice.

Freightliner purchasing department more then likely went with price as long as the coolant matched the requirements set by Cummins, But they are not chemist ether and purchasing departments have made a few errors.

Rich.  

Mike,

Just to be clear, PEAK Final Charge does not require testing and adding of SCA's if this is the product you have. It is one of the new "maintenance free" coolants.

https://www.peakhd.com/product_lines/final-charge/

https://www.peakhd.com/product_lines/final_charge/faq/

Q: Do I need to test for SCA or nitrite levels?

A: No. FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL  Coolant/Antifreeze, which features a patented inhibitor system that is phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free and borate-free, reduces inhibitor drop out and eliminates the need for SCA’s and routine testing of inhibitor levels. To maintain the protection of FINAL CHARGE Coolant/Antifreeze proprietary inhibitor system, proper cooling system maintenance is required.

Mike, look around for this decal or one that spells out what coolant you have from the factory. 

This is off of a Freighliner product.

5D48AD97-5E9D-47BB-A6F9-30B0B05A9BC8.jpeg

Whatever you put in your motor home engine, it's a good idea to use the same in the generator if it's compatible. Saves the number of jugs you have to carry.

At the risk of really looking stupid, I need the Forum to educate me about sampling, testing and adding SCA additive for the  Shell "purple" coolant I have in my 2016 Ventana LE.   Is this sampling / testing method appropriate?

1) Allow the engine to run for a period of time (15 minutes?) to circulate the coolant  then allow coolant to cool.

2) Obtain sample of the coolant from the radiator drain valve (one cup sample adequate?)  OR obtain sample from the coolant reservoir (?)

3) Test SCA content

4) If test results are low, add adequate amount of SCA Additive to the coolant reservoir or add to the radiator?   Presumably the SCA additive bottle has directions on how much to add (?)

5) I only find two brands of SCA Additive - Motorcraft and Fleetguard.  Presume Fleetguard would be preferred for my Cummins 6.7L ISB engine (?)

I thank the Forum's tolerance of my ignorance in the use and maintenance of "purple" coolant with SCAs.   There is very little "basic info" in my engine owner's manual nor Google for this much needed help. 

Mike,

Please post a link to the exact coolant-- we don't want to take a chance on giving mis-information.

Again, testing and adding SCA's are only for the older generation "low silicate for diesels with added SCA" coolants.

They are not added to the new generation coolants-- in fact, can contaminate them.

Brett --

I have the Shell Rotella "Fully Formulated with SCAs" coolant in my Ventana LE --> https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/lubricants-heavy-duty-products/antifreeze-coolant/_jcr_content/par/toptasks.stream/1523557755672/c1b72ff10c49f270fa7362dc3e606524b1c9bc0b/shell-rotella-heavy-duty-engine-antifreeze-and-coolant-brochure.pdf  

It is the "original fill" coolant used by Freightliner for my 40 foot long XCR chassis (single rear axle).   Why Freightliner used this cumbersome purple coolant for my 6.7L, 360 HP, ISB engine I don't know.  The label Freightliner placed on the radiator states "use purple coolant only such as Shell Rotella Fully Formulated with SCAs".

Mike,

The way I am reading that Shell site, you have the "least good"/least expensive/least long-lived coolant they make. Bean counter selection???

So, my first question is "how old is it".  The coolant "went to work" the minute it went into the cooling system at Freightliner.  Most of the basic coolants have a life expectancy of 3 years-- that Shell link says "2-3 years".  Suspect you are very close to that.

Yes you can test it (link to test strips below), but if you are going to keep the coach, I would sure put flush and fill with one of the new generation/no maintenance coolants on the "to do list".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?PartNum=24105

You should be able to get test strips like this from any HD diesel shop.  Be aware that the test strips have a limited life (at least on the Wix strips, the "use by date" is on the foil packet).

Brett --

During my lunch time Googling, I discovered this 2010 article from the Motorhome magazine which helped me somewhat --> http://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/what-you-need-to-know-about-diesel-antifreeze-and-coolants/

Some other Googling said that older, larger "wet sleeve" diesel engines need to use "fully formulated" coolants with SCAs to protect against cavitation of the liner.  However for "direct bore" cylinders such as my ISB engine do not have this "cavitation" concern and that an OAT type extended life coolant is recommended.   When I find a time away from a busy work schedule I will get my coolant changed to an extended life type if I can get approvals from Cummins and Freightliner.

All I want for the moment is to have a trouble free trip to/from the Big Chief RV Resort on Lake Buchanan for the July 4 weekend.  I just want to assure the coolant is in good condition for typical summertime driving in the Texas Hill Country.  Hence my question about how to test the current coolant and add SCA additive if necessary.

Thanks to you and the Forum for guidance for this coolant neophyte!

========================================

p.s. for reference this is a good article from Cummins Filtration (coolants) that I found --> https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT36442_0.pdf

I just bought  '14 Wrangler with the 3.6 V-6. They have a specific test and it turns out I can use the same OAT coolant as my Cummins ISX 650 so one less thing to worry about. I do have to do a drain and flush before adding the OAT.