donaldrfiske

Cummins generator

2005 cummins 8000 runs but does not produce electric to motorhome. No electric back to transfer box also no breakers were tripped in MH or on generator only 350 hours on generator. 

27 minutes ago, donaldrfiske said:

2005 cummins 8000 runs but does not produce electric to motorhome. No electric back to transfer box also no breakers were tripped in MH or on generator only 350 hours on generator. 

Did You cycle the 2 circuit breakers on the generator(off and back on) ?

The other possibility is loose connection(s) in the 4 x 4 "J" box common size box used to connect the generator output wiring to the coach wiring going to the wires running to the transfer (ATS) switch. 

Is the transfer Switch operating ? If you are not comfortable  working on the 120 volt wiring, get the ATS and connections checked. 

Rich.  

Others on forum who have reported same problem, have found problem to be in generator control boards. I would start by performing visual inspection of all circuit boards, looking for damaged components or corroded/loose connections.  The Onan generators only offer limited self diagnostics.

Jim

Yup, if the generator runs, turn the on-generator breakers OFF and back ON.

Next place to check if power is not getting to the ATS (assume you have checked there) is to check the junction box where generator wiring connects to coach wiring (on its way to the ATS).

There is a plate on the right front of the generator to check to outgoing power.  If no power there you have problems and have to pull the generator from the coach to repair.  Happen to mine and cost 4k to repair as internal inverter with attaching wiring harness burnt up.  Most covered by xtraride

16 hours ago, donaldrfiske said:

15 hours ago, DickandLois said:

The other possibility is loose connection(s) in the 4 x 4 "J" box common size box used to connect the generator output wiring to the coach wiring going to the wires running to the transfer (ATS) switch. 

Is the transfer Switch operating ? If you are not comfortable  working on the 120 volt wiring, get the ATS and connections checked. 

Rich.  

Did the circuit breakers,will look for j box, no power on incoming wires at  ats switch from generator but have power at switch for land line, thanks for your help! 

15 hours ago, F433921 said:

Others on forum who have reported same problem, have found problem to be in generator control boards. I would start by performing visual inspection of all circuit boards, looking for damaged components or corroded/loose connections.  The Onan generators only offer limited self diagnostics.

Jim

Thanks for getting back to me I will follow up o this 

14 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Yup, if the generator runs, turn the on-generator breakers OFF and back ON.

Next place to check if power is not getting to the ATS (assume you have checked there) is to check the junction box where generator wiring connects to coach wiring (on its way to the ATS).

Thanks for your ideas I will locate and check junction box

16 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Rich.  

11 hours ago, manholt said:

Don.

How long have you had this coach and when was the generator last serviced?  

Only had this HR AMBASSADOR 4 months it worked fine the 4-5 times we used it boon docking last serviced last year and only has 350 hours on it

13 hours ago, huffypuff said:

There is a plate on the right front of the generator to check to outgoing power.  If no power there you have problems and have to pull the generator from the coach to repair.  Happen to mine and cost 4k to repair as internal inverter with attaching wiring harness burnt up.  Most covered by xtraride

Thanks for getting back to me I sure hope it doesn't come to that

16 hours ago, donaldrfiske said:

Does anyone know if there has been problems with the breaker on these units

Don, The Generator  has 3 Fuses. They are under a panel above the external start / stop switch.

F-2= 10 amps an powers the starter.  It is shown as a 15 amp  on the circuit drawings and F-3 =25 amps powers the Glow plugs. Sense the generator starts and runs those fuses must be good.

F -1, parts list  lists it as a 10 amp fuse , however the electrical drawing shows a 15 amp fuse. This Fuse supplies power to the generator control board. 

So, I think if this fused has blown you might try a 15 amp fuse, but keep an eye on it. The only reason I'm offering the thought is because of the difference in it's size between the 2 locations in the Onan QD 8000 manual.

If the starter 12 volts is removed and the generator stops, there is a strong possibility that there is an issue with the control circuit. Because if the board is working properly  - it is not making 12 volts needed to keep it running. This is a common setup used by Onan, but not on all models !

Rich. 

For general information Onan, who makes the genset, says to run the generator 2 hrs per month with at least 1/2 load. This does one thing,  and most important, it drys out any moisture in the windings and electrical wiring. One man on a different RVing forum didn't, and when he did start it the adhesive holding things together inside actual electrical generator came loose, causing the genset to destroy itself.

Don't be hesitant about putting hours on your genset, these diesel units are designed for 8,000 hrs before an overhaul is needed; PROVIDING the maintenance schedules is followed. The actual diesel motor is/was made by Yamaha.

Your right, and if the previous owner (BIG IF) did the 2 hours per month, for the past 14 years, then 350 is about right.  However, I don't believe that it's only been used as a non exercise unit for less than 14 hours!  I have my 10,000 (10Kw), serviced every 150/200 hours or about 4 times a year!  We travel a lot and my coach is all electric!  My generator was pulled out to replace bushings, at 4,218 hours, that was 1,183 hours ago! :)

"First verify that the breaker for the outlets is not tripped and make sure that the generator is running at full operating speed. let it run for 5-10 minutes and check for output power. If there is nothing, there are two possible problems. One could be that the automatic voltage regulator is bad. The other is that the field needs to be flashed - a high possibility if the generator has not been run in a long time. There are many videos on the internet that show you how to solve both of these problems. Just do a search for No output from a portable power generator."

This is what was posted on internet under fixya, hope it helps.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, dons2346 said:

What connections are you measuring on the generator to determine that it isn't making  power?

Today I checked the 35 amp breaker mounted on the generator with it running and there is no power to the breaker 

Now is the time to swallow ones pride and go to a service center and have it checked out. It's seems as you have gone through every suggestion and nothing has worked.

If you find out what the problem is please let us know.

Good Luck,

Herman

Ok guys I'll have it looked at by cummins asap will be a little while before I can get there the wife just had rotator cuff surgery earlier this week just want to thank everyone for their time and imput on this topic/problem

Had the same problem. Started checking and found the on-off switch next to the oil dipstick got bumped off when they serviced the genny. This is separate from the circuit breakers. 2008 8000 QD. It is in a stupid place. There so you can fire up genny during motor service work and not be feeding juice to unknown places. Look close and hope this is it.