markletheridge

Particulate Filter shut down

I had the stop engine light come on last month. Had the engine checked out and had the turbo speed sensor and the turbo manifold replaced for the second time. Was on a trip last week and noticed loss of power and stop engine light came on again.  Freightliner in Tuscon found a diesel particulate filter ( DPF) issue. After a forced regen, still no power. Then further investigation showed that the turbo bolts had come off except for one, the gasket was  also shot at that point. the tech in tuscon thought the  DPF needeed to be baked as maybe unspent diesel got into it. we limped home at low speed for 2 days.

the tech back home (who didn't tighten the bolts on the turbo) does not think the DPF is an issue after a forced regen. also does not believe that the turbo could have caused anything on the DPF.

has anyone had any experience with this? i can't bear to go on another trip and have a shut down fiasco again on mountain passes.

1 hour ago, markletheridge said:

turbo bolts had come off except for one, the gasket was  also shot

I've had similar experiences twice, both times was turbo pipe had broken. Replacing them and inspection of other parts I found other parts including the exhaust manifold to be cracked also. The loss of turbo in both cases and with no turbo sure makes for poor driving because of the loss of power. Mine of course has no DPF because of age. But if after regen, everything seems ok, I would at least have someone with proper test equipment do an evaluation of the engine's performance.

Would help to know, Make, Model, Year of your coach?  Some coaches will only go into re generation mode, when parked.  Others, like mine, will do so, while moving!

For each regen, it takes a little longer....mine started at 9 minutes, now it's 20+!  Also, my temp on exhaust #1 & 2, used to be around 1,400+ degrees and now it's 900 to 1,200 fluctuating...Cummings told me, it should be baked or replaced at about 100,000 miles...I have 87,000+! 

IMHO.  It's time to forget about "your tech" and take the coach to Cummins, it's their engine!  Your tech, whether he is Cummins Certified or not, makes no difference, he's guessing and costing you $$$, also sloppy workmanship!

If low turbo boost, it will cause the filter to soot up very fast. I have seen it happen in 100 miles of driving and shut down. Good chance it’s face plugged and will need to be removed and cleaned. I also recommend taking it to a Cummins dealer over a Freightliner shop that has a Cummins franchise.