fagnaml

Illuminated Entry Door Grab Handle

Just when I think "everything" on my motorhome is in good working condition, another gremlin appears.   This time thankfully the problem is 'cosmetic' and not functional.  This past weekend while in Baton Rouge to watch the Tigers lose horribly to Alabama, my granddaughter said "papa, the door handle isn't working".   My first reaction was "oh sh**" and the entry door wouldn't open!   Much to my relief the problem is my illuminated entry door "grab handle" was no longer illuminated.  I hadn't really noticed no light but my six year old granddaughter sure did!

I did a search of the forum about lighted and illuminated grab handles but got no results so I'm asking the forum for advice on how to repair my illuminated grab handle or do I need to purchase a new handle.   My existing grab handle looks like this one from Camping World --> https://www.campingworld.com/illumagrip-lighted-assist-handle-18-inch?CAWELAID=120030630000014144&msclkid=bff831ec94bb164d01a46a0c1beb1a8b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=B_PLA_NB_CW_AllProducts&utm_term=4580909043270037&utm_content=Ad group %231

I'd like to repair my existing handle if possible because it has "Damon" engraved on the handle.

Your guidance please!

p.s.  Is there ever a time in the life of a motorhome that there is a year when no repairs are needed?

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

Just when I think "everything" on my motorhome is in good working condition, another gremlin appears.   This time thankfully the problem is 'cosmetic' and not functional.  This past weekend while in Baton Rouge to watch the Tigers lose horribly to Alabama, my granddaughter said "papa, the door handle isn't working".   My first reaction was "oh sh**" and the entry door wouldn't open!   Much to my relief the problem is my illuminated entry door "grab handle" was no longer illuminated.  I hadn't really noticed no light but my six year old granddaughter sure did!

I did a search of the forum about lighted and illuminated grab handles but got no results so I'm asking the forum for advice on how to repair my illuminated grab handle or do I need to purchase a new handle.   My existing grab handle looks like this one from Camping World --> https://www.campingworld.com/illumagrip-lighted-assist-handle-18-inch?CAWELAID=120030630000014144&msclkid=bff831ec94bb164d01a46a0c1beb1a8b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=B_PLA_NB_CW_AllProducts&utm_term=4580909043270037&utm_content=Ad group %231

I'd like to repair my existing handle if possible because it has "Damon" engraved on the handle.

Your guidance please!

p.s.  Is there ever a time in the life of a motorhome that there is a year when no repairs are needed?

Not really !  I'm constantly working on something built with bricks and sticks also..  

In response to repairing the current grab handle, if you can see the screw heads, the handle should be easily removed, if you don't see them, you can usually find a snap off cover at the bottom, but the picture in cw webpage looks like 3 screws each end. Remove the screws two on each end, then remove the third bottom screw, then carefully holding the handle so that it does not fall and cause damage while removing the top last screw. carefully remove the handle and notice that the wiring is in most times at the bottom, some builders puts them at the top. Pulling the handle carefully separate the wires to fully remove. You can now test the wiring on the MH side to make sure that there is current, should be 12 vdc. If no current look for a blown fuse, if current is present, the bulb is probably blown. If bulb blown then replace. The acrylic clear handle only magnifies the light to give appearance that lights are all the way through it.

As Rich said, I'm constantly working om SB's and the MH's, when I quit working them, someone I hope is saying my eulogies.:) Also the bulb should have a P# on it, Google is your friend for a replacement.

The lighted handle on my 2003 pace arrow stopped working and a new one that had the pace arrow logo was $95.00.  As Kaypsmith said you can take it apart mine the led bulb was bad.  I could not find a replacement so I used a led replacement for a 194 bulb straightened the wires and connected to the wire feeding the handle. Polarity has to be checked. I insulated them stuck it back in (it doesn't show) and it works better than original. That was 4 years ago still good.

Can't wait till we get off this LED craze. Or until they can make them with a quality high enough to last for a reasonable time. Or make them in a way so that they can be replaced when they go bad. Or...

It's only been a few years since they came on the scene, and manufacturers are so enamored with them that they are installing them all over the place and making them non-replaceable. A good example is the license plate lamps in some new cars. The LED cannot be replaced, so when they go bad the entire fixture has to be replaced. Cost is high, and it's a terrible waste or resources.

I hope that the OP is able to get his handle re-lit without having to replace the whole thing. If you get it apart and replace the LED, please post some photos so that others can follow your lead in the future.

The grab-handle on our MH didn't light up one day. I took the bottom handle end off, then the clear plastic "ultimate" tube off. The lights were multiple sub-miniature incandescents on a strip. The only thing wrong was corrosion on the strip terminals where it plugged into the wiring.

Let me know when there is nothing more to repair, replace, or adjust in/on your MH, I'll throw you a party-if we're still able to drive the MH's.

9 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Your guidance please!

Take it apart, replace the bulb, put it back together. 

Bill 

Thanks for the prompt responses!  To confirm this Motorhome 101 lesson from the fine group of professors, the DIY task is remove the handle, find the burned-out bulb in the bottom, take bad bulb to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's to find a replacement, install the new bulb, then re-attach the handle.   Sounds like a hour of work, excluding parts store travel time, for this task.

Please tell me an auto parts store will have a replacement bulb and I don't have to mess with Camping World or other RV dealer.

And yes, I'm resolved to the fact that motorhomes will always have items in need of repair given the fact that they are big, highly complex machines.   If only they were as simple as my Jeep Wrangler to maintain.....

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

Thanks for the prompt responses!  To confirm this Motorhome 101 lesson from the fine group of professors, the DIY task is remove the handle, find the burned-out bulb in the bottom, take bad bulb to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's to find a replacement, install the new bulb, then re-attach the handle.   Sounds like a hour of work, excluding parts store travel time, for this task.

Please tell me an auto parts store will have a replacement bulb and I don't have to mess with Camping World or other RV dealer.

And yes, I'm resolved to the fact that motorhomes will always have items in need of repair given the fact that they are big, highly complex machines.   If only they were as simple as my Jeep Wrangler to maintain.....

Well actually I got my replacement from Amazon. This may not be yours but the odds are it is.

ITC (86430-LED ASSEM-DB Cool White Replacement LED Light Assembly for IllumaGrip Handles

Yes I wish Motorhomes were as well made and reliable as my Hond but they are not.

Bill