Sign in to follow this  
banditrider776@gmail.com

Federal CG Continue Discounts To Seniors & Disabled

For concessionaire campsites, which in reality will mean almost all the major recreational forests in the system! This is huge. This will be followed by the NPS and BLM.

Time to nip this in the bud right now. Write your elected officials NOW and spread the word.

Here is the link to the official notice.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-28744.htm

Good spot 'em Green Beaver!

I have taken a look at the proposed directives and have submitted a comment by following the link provided. I'm posting my comments here to encourage others to jump in and have their say. Feel free to use any of my ideas but please add your own concerns as well. My comments completely filled the allowed space.

My comments on Document ID: FS-2009-0001-0001: Proposed Directives for Forest Service Concession Campground Special Use Permits

As I read the provisions of these proposed directives, they would increase the fees charged for senior citizens for "camping" facilities and then further down I find that if they increase income for the concessionaire they would increase the rental rates for the concessionaire. So in effect the directive suggests that the concessionaire needs more income so the rate increase (reduction in discount) should be instituted. Then it says if the concessionaire makes more money, they will have to pay higher rental fees to the government. It looks like this is pretty clearly a pass through provision which means the concessionaire won't make too much money and the government ends up the big winner in it all.

As a senior citizen (I just got my senior pass in the fall of 2008) it looks to me like the rug is being pulled out from under me just as I qualified for this discount. Yes, there are going to be lots of us seniors qualifying for the discount in the coming years and yes, younger people (who are working) will be subsidizing the discount, just as I have done all my working life! Why now that I qualify do you suddenly realize that someone is in effect subsidizing my discount when you never noticed it when I was doing the subsidizing? It seems to me that it is finally my turn to collect a benefit that I have been contributing to all my working life and now you are changing the rules.

Personally I never was a fan of the commercialization of the park/forest service concessions. For my money, you can close down all the commercial operations in the park/forest service. Then they won't be complaining about not making enough money. As to the incentive (or lack thereof) for off season utilization, that is completely bogus. Most seniors I know prefer to visit our parks and national forests during the off season when the crowds are smaller and the atmosphere is quieter. In fact, I'd bet that most concessions would close off season if it weren't for senior citizens.

Good spot 'em Green Beaver!

I have taken a look at the proposed directives and have submitted a comment by following the link provided. I'm posting my comments here to encourage others to jump in and have their say. Feel free to use any of my ideas but please add your own concerns as well. My comments completely filled the allowed space.

My comments on Document ID: FS-2009-0001-0001: Proposed Directives for Forest Service Concession Campground Special Use Permits

As I read the provisions of these proposed directives, they would increase the fees charged for senior citizens for "camping" facilities and then further down I find that if they increase income for the concessionaire they would increase the rental rates for the concessionaire. So in effect the directive suggests that the concessionaire needs more income so the rate increase (reduction in discount) should be instituted. Then it says if the concessionaire makes more money, they will have to pay higher rental fees to the government. It looks like this is pretty clearly a pass through provision which means the concessionaire won't make too much money and the government ends up the big winner in it all.

As a senior citizen (I just got my senior pass in the fall of 2008) it looks to me like the rug is being pulled out from under me just as I qualified for this discount. Yes, there are going to be lots of us seniors qualifying for the discount in the coming years and yes, younger people (who are working) will be subsidizing the discount, just as I have done all my working life! Why now that I qualify do you suddenly realize that someone is in effect subsidizing my discount when you never noticed it when I was doing the subsidizing? It seems to me that it is finally my turn to collect a benefit that I have been contributing to all my working life and now you are changing the rules.

Personally I never was a fan of the commercialization of the park/forest service concessions. For my money, you can close down all the commercial operations in the park/forest service. Then they won't be complaining about not making enough money. As to the incentive (or lack thereof) for off season utilization, that is completely bogus. Most seniors I know prefer to visit our parks and national forests during the off season when the crowds are smaller and the atmosphere is quieter. In fact, I'd bet that most concessions would close off season if it weren't for senior citizens.

I basically said the same thing except about the seniors part. I also told them they should just go ahead and privitize the entire system since they were headed that way any how. I also mentioned that the park system was paid for by the people and not business.

Guest 2driftrs

Contact your Congressman, Senator, anybody you can to stop the passage of this proposed change. This new administration gave billions of dollars to banks to "help them out" of a mess they created for themselves. The same administration allowed those banks to arbitrarily close accounts and raise interest rates. For those of us on Medicare, our rates go up but our Social Security doesn't. I'm beginning to think the current administration is targeting seniors!

To effectively eliminate the senior discount is to double the cost of housing for many seniors we know that are full timers that use the National Parks and Forest Service areas, in part because of the current 50% senior discount. Janet and I are this close to being full timers ourselves, and this legislation is yet another assault on us and seniors everywhere.

Maybe this can be stopped if the Forest Service hears from enough people ...

The U.S. Forest Service has proposed to eliminate the 50 percent discount at National Forest campgrounds that has been available to holders of lifetime Senior and Access (permanent disability) passes.

The change would apply at campgrounds managed by private concessioners. Private Concessioners represent approximately 50 percent of National Forest camping capacity and 82 percent of reservable campsites.

Current policy requires concessioners to honor Senior and Access passes for campground fees under the same terms as if the Forest Service operated the facility directly, meaning that a 50 percent discount must be offered. Most highly developed campgrounds are now managed by concessioners.

The half-price rule has been in place since the mid-'60s. In the Dec. 1 Federal Register, the Forest Service presented a new policy that would replace the half-price rule with a 10 percent discount. The proposed policy would also require Senior and Access pass holders to pay a fee at National Forest day-use sites that are currently covered in full by their passes.

Day-use sites managed by concessioners would also be affected by the changes. Holders of the annual America the Beautiful Pass would be entitled to free entry, but Senior and Access lifetime pass holders would get only a 10 percent discount. This changes current policy, which calls for all three passes to be honored equally at day-use fee sites.

Seniors 62 and older pay a one-time $10 fee for their lifetime pass. Lifetime passes for the permanently disabled are free. Together, Senior and Access passes represent more than 78 percent of all pass sales, according to the Forest Service.

Read the full proposal and send your comments electronically at this Regulations.gov page:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a60f36

OR, send comments via postal mail to:

Attn: Carolyn Holbrook

U.S. Forest Service

Recreation and Heritage Resources Staff

1400 Independence Avenue SW, Stop 1125

Washington, DC 20250-1125

Postal mail should reference: Proposed Directives for Forest Service Concession Campground Special Use Permits (Document ID FS-2009-0001-0001)

You may also want to contact your state and Federal representatives.

Comments must be received before Feb. 2, 2010.

At this time we must take action by submitting our comments to the proposed legislation regarding the Senior/ACCESS Pass.

In other posts, links have been provided to read about the proposed changes, but you can submit your comments electronically to the via Regulations.gov directly.

Link: Send your comments electronically at this Regulations.gov Web page

Comments must be received no later than February 1st.

Please take a moment of your time and let yourself be heard or we will loose this valuable discount! Even if you are not a Senior yet, you WILL BE ONE SOMEDAY!

Steve Mondl

Thanks to TBUTLER for his chosen words- I agree completely and sent a comment to the Forest Service saying so. I just turned 63, bought my first Motorhome (1999 Coachmen Sportsmen) diesel pusher and was looking forward to the 50% discount.

I also submitted my comments. I used some of what TBUTLER wrote, with changes (thanks, T), but I made the point that I am a disabled veteran and I have the Access Pass. Also, I said that there will be many more of us out there that qualify, I happen to be both Vietnam and Desert Storm, now there will be more with worse disabilities from the desert wars that could benefit from the Access Pass, it may help them to slay some of their dragons.

I ended with the fact that as a kid I always wanted to be a forest ranger, and I've never been a fan of privatized conession run national parks, forest or monuments.

Feb. 1 is the final day for your comments to be considered in the development of any final version of the proposed fee changes.

First, be sure to read the notice published by the Forest Service in the Federal Register. The notice requests comments on a PROPOSED directive revision that would change how concessionaires honor Interagency Passes.

Read the notice and related information here: www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/special_concession.shtml

Here are some key points from the notice:

The proposed change applies ONLY to campgrounds operated by concessionaires on the National Forests and Grasslands. It does NOT apply to Forest Service operated sites or campgrounds operated by any other federal agency.

Key points of the proposal for public comment (which are described more fully and explained in the notice):

For holders of lifetime senior and access passes:

• no change to 50% discount at Forest Service-operated sites
  • new benefit of 10% discount at concession operated standard amenity fee sites
  • reduction in camping discount from 50% to 10% at concession operated campgrounds

For holders of annual and volunteer passes:

• new benefit of free admission to concession operated standard amenity fee sites

Read the Federal Register notice and submit your comments.

Hate to say it,,,,,but,,,,the Government Giveth And The Government Taketh Away!

They have never seen a tax they don't like........I sent a comment,,,,but my cynical expectations are that it was a done deal when they published the register,,,,and the new paperwork changes are in the back room ready to go.

My guess is that there will be more and more sites converted to concessions,,,,,,,,Not sure who is getting the subsidies,,,,,,don't think the end users will be,,,,,,

just another nickel in the mix.

Isn't it interesting -- that the same government that some how felt it more efficient or expedient to let a PRIVATE company run the campground / forest concessions somehow feels it can do a better job than the private sector at providing health insurance?