rkwenning

Buyer Beware Notification RE: Forrest River

We have a Dynamax RV. Dynamax is a subdivision of Forrest River Inc. Our RV has been in a collision repair shop since mid-June 2018, it is now November 6th and Forrest River has not been able to provider parts to repair our RV. It appears that Forrest River is only interested in making RV sales. A representative of Forrest River told us that parts were not available because of a big RV show that occurred in September. I consider this a lame excuse at best.

RKWenning, Welcome to the FMCA forums!

This is not new news, Forrest River and a few others are known for quality issues and poor customer service. Sorry to hear about your situation. What happened that landed your coach at a body shop?

I know that it's preferable to get new parts from the manufacturer, but perhaps the body shop can get the parts you need from an RV salvage yard? Might be hard to find what you need, especially for a model like the Dynamax, but it's worth a try.

We were hit on the I-5 in Tacoma.  Had to bungee stuff together to get on home.  It has been sitting since June 27 and there are NO PARTS here yet.  Forest River is still not moving.   We are wondering about taking legal recourse.

What does the insurance company say? If you were hit, then it's all on them to make it right. Does your state have any time requirements for repairs? If not, then I'd push them to provide another similar vehicle to use in the meantime - since that would be impossible for them to do without great expense, then maybe it would give them incentive to push Forrest River for the parts or to come to another solution which you were agreeable to.

Insurance was initially a big problem but that has been settled with the collision repair ship. Now the problem is the lack of parts from the subcontractors of Forrest River. Unfortunately there is little legally that can be done. The subcontractors don't have spare parts in warehouses to use in cases like ours and there is no legal requirement for them to have parts on hand.

27 minutes ago, RKWenning said:

The subcontractors don't have spare parts in warehouses to use in cases like ours and there is no legal requirement for them to have parts on hand.

That's terrible! 

Can you tell us a bit more of what parts you need? If the front of the rig got hit, those parts should be easy to get from the chassis manufacturer. If it's the sides, then we're talking about bay doors and some supporting materials, and I've seen these made from whole cloth in shops. The rear cap could be a problem since it's probably molded fiberglass, but I just can't imagine that they don't have one that can be sent.

Perhaps it's time to have a lawyer send a demand letter. Once a lawyer is involved, it might be more worth their while to get the parts shipped than pay legal bills.