f433921

Brake Air Chamber Travel Alert

During the annual inspection/maintenance I found that the orange travel alert was activated on the front left brake. The air chamber is a Heldix T16,  max. stroke 2.25" with a max allowed travel of 1.75", the actual travel was measured at 1.375".

I measured the right front brake and found travel to be 1.375", the same as the left front.

Based on my finding it appears that the auto slack adjusters are performing as designed and are within DOT specification.

It is my assumption that for some reason the exposed orange travel alert has malfunctioned.  I have tried to reposition the orange sleeve with no success.

Please advise if anyone know how to reset the travel alert. If it is determined that it is not resettable I plan on replacing the air chamber.

Thank for your responses. 

Jim

I was told when taking my air brake course that good drivers use the brakes so little and lightly they can not adjust up but when stopped apply them hard to cause the adjusters to work 

I have done this about every 1000 miles and when I check my slack adjuster they are right on 

I do not know how to move the alert  as my 99 FL80 does not have them 

Jim,

Is that alert that you are referencing the round plastic disk, or something similar, that goes on the shaft that connects to the adjuster? If so that is just for a quick reference and the safe bet is always a measurement.

The info that good drivers do not use their brakes enough so that the automatic adjusters don't adjust, is somewhat inaccurate. The simple answer is, during normal use, the travel of the adjuster will increase as the brake shoes wear. Automatic adjusters will click up a notch after that distance is met. Years are were the problem comes in, as with a lot RV's and RV issues. If not properly lubed on a timely basis the grease gets stiff or moisture gets in and that will cause premature failure of the adjuster.

Hope this helps

Gary   

Contacted Heldex technical support this AM.  Was told that the travel alert is NOT resettable. Even thou the travel on mine was with allowable travel limit, I was advised to replace the air chamber anytime that orange the travel alert is visible. 

There alert is an orange plastic sleeve that is on the operating rod, when in the normal position it isn't visible because it stored within the chamber housing. A malfunction within the air chamber and/or over travel will cause the spring loaded travel alert slide down the operating rod and it will be visible.

Hope this info is helpful to others.

On my way to town to get a replacement.

Jim

Jim, 

The $35 for the chamber is probably worth the piece of mind although I still prefer the actual measurement over plastic parts. The big thing to remember when installing the new one is to cut the rod length exact otherwise the adjuster may not adjust properly.

Gary 

Of course, if you have the orange travel alert showing, it might be wise to also check to be certain that there is not a problem in the brakes themselves (like a broken brake shoe) which allows excessive travel.

15 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Of course, if you have the orange travel alert showing, it might be wise to also check to be certain that there is not a problem in the brakes themselves (like a broken brake shoe) which allows excessive travel.

Travel was found to be 1.375", with in specs, self adjusters lubricated annually or 5K miles.

8 hours ago, garyreed said:

Jim, 

The $35 for the chamber is probably worth the piece of mind although I still prefer the actual measurement over plastic parts. The big thing to remember when installing the new one is to cut the rod length exact otherwise the adjuster may not adjust properly.

Gary 

The Haldex SC 16 is the replacement for T 16 and they come with rod cut to length with yoke installed.

Jim

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Jim, Thanks for the feedback ! Could you post the  The chassis you have? Thinking the part info might be Chassis specific.

Rich. 

Rick,

I edited my previous post to correct the part number for the original air chamber it was a Heldax T 16, not the T20 I originally posted.

My motor is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40'.  The chassis is a Roadmaster 8R8R chassis.

Jim

Jim, kudos for observing your brakes! Most have no idea of an air brake operation and how it works. They just bee bop around assuming whomever did the last oil change is checking all of this out, meanwhile their compressor is on 100% duty cycle and the air drying is popping off like a gun. I have spoken to a few at campgrounds, trying to advise them of a problem, I get the same answer every time, "well it stops!" Or "My mechanic just changed the oil last week" :wacko::o

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Jim, kudos for observing your brakes! Most have no idea of an air brake operation and how it works. They just bee bop around assuming whomever did the last oil change is checking all of this out, meanwhile their compressor is on 100% duty cycle and the air drying is popping off like a gun. I have spoken to a few at campgrounds, trying to advise them of a problem, I get the same answer every time, "well it stops!" Or "My mechanic just changed the oil last week" :wacko::o

Thanks for the complement, I perform the maintenance/repairs on my vehicles.  I have developed check lists for all maintenance intervals and keep details records of as found conditions, repairs and parts used. 

This is a carry over from my 50 year career in the maintenance/operation of large rotating equipment associated with hydroelectric power houses and dams.

I don't recommend this approach for everyone. It's important to take the time to educated yourself on the systems and equipment that you are operating and maintaining before attempting these tasks. Do not attempt to inspect or repair without these skills or proper tools.

Jim