rfsod48

Texas home

Bill E.  We both have our perfect world in opposite times of the year!:D  My Island home is going on the market in Feb. and my 2 sections of land in Sep. 2019.  The land is great for hunting in West Texas, but nothing else! :P

On 11/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

There is so much variation it would be easier to go to the county website and see what it is.

When you are looking at land, try not to give up the mineral rights. 

Bill

It may have been the other Bill I posted the link for tax calculation. Good link for someone looking to re-locate.  You are absolutely correct regarding the variations from county to county and city to city.

I'm a veteran homesteading and senior so my taxes are locked in. They are low. Insurance gets us here on the Gulf Coast.  Including taxes and insurance we estimate about $400 a month. the taxes are around $500 a year the rest is insurance.

I can see the water! Just takes me 2 minutes to drive to it.  The Texas City Dike is 5 miles long. Has fishing piers, cleaning stations, Boat ramps, swimming beaches and the seawall has power glider areas, wind sailing areas and fishing wading areas. What's not to like.😜

Oh, and check prices of homes on Zillow.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Sorry, did not occur to me, where in TC you lived.  I'm in Spanish Grant, Bay side !  About the same. :D

Opps! When I said I can see water it was raining outside.  Nope! have to drive 2 minutes or so to get to it. 😎

Roland --

There are several responses suggesting west Texas would be a good area to consider.  I have to give a realistic, contrarian view.   San Angelo and communities to the west (e.g. Odessa, Midland, Garden City, Big Spring, etc.) are in the booming Permian Basin shale oil exploration and production area.  Those communities are overwhelmed with an ever growing number of exploration and production companies, oil field services companies, etc. and the thousands of employees the shale oil "boom" has brought to west Texas.   Cost of living in those communities is very high and supporting infrastructure (highways, health care, schools, housing, lodging, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.) is highly stressed to meet demand.    The Permian Basin (and the Eagle Ford Basin south of San Antonio) will continue to experience rapid growth as long as crude oil prices remain above $40 per barrel.

Those of us in the energy business "love" the rapid shale (crude) oil growth in west Texas which has pushed the U.S. to leading the world in crude oil production.  The downside is the growth has far out-paced the services and infrastructure that San Angelo, Odessa, Midland and other communities can provide.

The Texas Hill Country remains my highest recommendation for you to explore e.g. San Antonio / Austin / Waco / Kerrville / Llano "boundary".

Total agreement.  I would not wan't to live west of Junction!  I'mt not a fan of far West Texas...have you seen Pecos lately?  It's the size of Ft. Stockton and growing!