obiwan_canoli

RV Discount Camping Options

After my first year with a new RV, and membership in Passport America, I just received my renewal notice, offering an additional 6 months of membership for a mere $5 additional handling fee that wasn't part of my initial membership cost. I'm questioning the worth of renewing, given my experience, and am considering other options, beyond the Good Sam membership I intend to keep.

I'm not at all pleased with the restrictions which the vast majority of PA sites inflict, i.e., limited number of nights as few as only 1 night, limited seasonal eligibility which by and large excludes the warmer months from using the discount, and the limits of days eligible, mostly Monday-Thursdays. Of course, the RV parks listed can enforce any restrictions they like, but since that comprises the majority of options within the PA network, I'm unconvinced that continuing my membership in PA is worth the cost, and effort.

I would be interested in others' experience, and hope to learn of other options which may be more generous with RV parks and their terms....

I just renewed our membership for the additional 6 month. I have made back my cost many times over. Most of the time it is just for a quick over noght. Yes they have some restrictions but the saving, to me, makes up for the restrictions. 

Herman 

You want other options; check out Happy Camper discount club. It's also a 50% discount club, and nearly exactly like PPA. Of course there is always Thousand Trails, and other similar organizations. FMCA, Escapees, Good Sam, etc are all 10% discount.

ALL  discounts come with some restrictions, even Thousand Trails.

I found the over 65 Club is saving just as much as a lot the discount deals.  It's free and comes with a lifetime membership.

I've been a member of Passport for about eight years, but I"m not renewing.  For me, it's gotten to be too much of a hassle, constant changes of additions and deletions and the many restrictions noted above.  Yes, I've gotten my money back each year, but I'm to the point of not willing to keep up with everything and doing the research looking for CGs.

8 hours ago, FIVE said:

I've been a member of Passport for about eight years, but I"m not renewing.  For me, it's gotten to be too much of a hassle, constant changes of additions and deletions and the many restrictions noted above.  Yes, I've gotten my money back each year, but I'm to the point of not willing to keep up with everything and doing the research looking for CGs.

What are you talking about? What hassle? You call a campground you are thinking of using that is listed as PPA and ask about it. If it doesn't fit your requirements either book a space or call someplace else. 

Bill

I bought "Life Member" at 2016 FMCA rally in Perry, best $200 I spent. Once I downloaded Passport America (PPA) app, and entered my information, locating a campground and making reservation(s) became much easier. The best value campground I have used so far was in Marathon, ON using PPA, was only $16CAD and that was full hook up, pull thru lot.

About the only discounts we ever see are from PA and GS.  Generally those are only weekday discounts and don't amount to much, but they add up through the year and we always get our membership money back within the first 3 or 4 months of traveling for them.  The ones that we never find a park giving discounts for is FMCA and Escapees.  We are dropping Escapees and I had a weak moment and renewed FMCA recently (thought I would miss Carl too much).

We use Linda's, Life PA, on the occasions that are a one night stop.  Lone Star Chapter, had a Rally, 3 weeks ago at Texarkana RV Park.  I was there 5 nights, it's a PA park, and enjoyed it...I think WBill did also as a drop in.  Herman is President of LS for 2019 & I'll have it in 2020!  

Joe S.  We are members of Escapees only because of Alamo Chapter 11...A lot of mutual friends, all from Texas! :D P.O. Box at Escapees, Livingston, does not qualify, must be Native or have S&B residency! Linda is Native, I got a S&B in 1966! :P Glad you renewed..😎🎄

I joined Escapees last year and started checking their forum on a regular basis.  I was eager to pick up some fresh ideas from experienced full timing folks over there.  To say I was less than impressed would be a huge understatement.  We never joined a chapter or attended any type of rally's because we just move around too much.  I suspect the actual members in most of the chapters are probably really nice folks.  However the forum is basically ran by 3 or 4 regulars, none of which are current full timers.  One gentlemen seems to have some good knowledge and is a weekend moderator, but if you don't agree with every statement he makes then get ready for his verbal attack.  Problem is he used to full time years and years ago and has a closed mind to any new ideas or changes.  

Anyway, for just participating in their online forum to gain some knowledge as a full timer, or possibly even help a newbie out once and awhile, it was falling short.

Same reason I or our friends, about 50% are FT, the rest do 6+ months a year...we are not on their Forum!  There are a lot of Liberal Snowflakes in Escapees!  I don't need armchair experts on "Global Warming & let's be green"!

Carl, I have never gotten that impression. I don't care about anyone's politics, just exchanging information about RVing.

I agree with you about politics!  However, that unfortunately is not everyone's thought...You have AL's quote, I don't.  I try hard to leave certain things, out of the equation! :)🙊

Wow! I'm PPA, Escapees, FMCA, Good Sam, and a couple more I can't remember, plus retired military.  I have used all of them and I have benefited with their discounts.  Yes, PPA CGs have restrictions and one can loo at the PPA web site and see what those restrictions are before calling. If the restrictions, don't fit you don't go there.  Majority of PPA CGs are valid Sunday through Thursday so planning a stop is really not that big a problem for us. FMCA and GS are 10% discount programs but 10% is 10% and better than nothing.

Escapees: We have stayed at Escapees RV parks. The ones I really remember are the ones in Sutherland, OR, Jojoba Hills park in California, and Hollister, MO.(This park is 1/2 mile from The Landing in Branson, MO).  Oregon sites were 55 feet wide by 80 feet long. The week cost me $115. I'll do the math for you, that is about $16 a night. Jojoba Hills was much more expensive but location, location, near Temucula, CA.  The Hollister (Branson) CG is $159 a week for members or $22 a night. Again that is location, location.

FYI there is another RV park, Branson Stagecoach RV Park. It is under new ownership. It used to be $25 a night 7 days a week but the new ownership has it as $25 for four days and Friday and Saturday are full price.  Still, for the area the 4 nights at $25 is pretty good.  

I'm sure there are a lot of other discounts that are just as good and some better. I'll be staying with my discount programs.