Sign in to follow this  
willtory

US-65 in Tennessee

Question

Am planning a trip going going east through Memphis to Sevierville, TN and prefer not to use I-40. Am considering US-65 from Memphis to Chattanooga and then US-411 north. According to my Street Atlas program, That route adds 37 miles to the trip compared to the super-slab through Nashville. Would appreciate comments, please. I could use I-40 from Flagstaff, AZ all the way, but 3,800 miles of I-40 would be booorrring, and rough?

RedT in Glendale, AZ

'04 Meridian

'03 Jeep Liberty

M&G Brake System

5 answers to this question

Guest 2driftrs

I'm guessing you mean US-64, not 65. This is a good route from Memphis to Chattanooga. Out of Chattanooga you might want to consider I-75 to I-40 to 441 south to Sevierville unless you like mountain climbing. Or, you could stay on 64 to Murphy, NC, but I'd then jump on 74 to 441. I wouldn't recommend 64 between Murphy, NC and Franklin, NC. We took 74 from Cherokee, NC to Chattanooga this past November, and there's places on that road that will curl your hair, and we're only 32'. If your 37' or 39', stick to I-75.

By the way, 64 from Murphy to Franklin is best suited to mountain goats!

Once you get out of Arkansas I 40 to Seiverville is a great road. Quicker than going through Chattanooga. I live in Kodak, Seiverville exit 407 and travel to Az. yearly. I just came back from AZ in Jan. and I 40 is still a good road (even the truckers rate it highly) I recommend T. Sawyer RV park in Memphis and a trip to Beale street for ribs.

I agree, I-40 is a good road ('cept for Amarillo to OK City) and probably the most direct route available. I have travelled it many times, but the trucks and speed demons make me want a different route. We want to see America - the small towns, country roads, etc - one of the reasons we travel by RV.

RedT in Glendale, AZ

Guest 2driftrs

Just in case, RedT, be aware that I-40 is closed (has been since October 2009 due to a rock slide) from the TN border to about 20 miles west of Asheville, NC. If you're planning on travel further east than Sevierville, you'll be best to take 441 South to 23 East. Stay away from 19 east, as it's another goat trail.

Also, sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway are closed. You can get updates on all NC highways at www.ncdot.org