dianahc

No water coming out when turned to hot

2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PDQ. 

We are staying in an RV park south of Gilroy for a couple of weeks. The hot water was working perfectly on the 120 V system for the last week. It worked last night. I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and turned on the hot water and almost nothing came out - turn handle towards the cold side and it works. Same on the other lav sink and kitchen sink. 

This morning I tried to turn on the 12 V (propane) heater. Heard it light, I think, but after an hour, still no hot water - or more than a slight trickle - when handles are turned to hot water. 

The manual doesn’t seem to address this issue. 

I’m thinking this is a simple issue, but no idea what to do. Thanks for any advice!

Many water heaters have a check valve. If they fail, water flow is materially reduced.  Access the back of your water heater and see if you have a check valve screwed into it.

I had narrowed it down to that being the most likely possibility by more internet searching, while waiting on the good advice to come in. Y chromosome part of the team banged on the pipes in the water bay. It’s working again, for now. Will get serviced when we get home. Thanks!

Well, having just tried to take a shower - it’s KIND of working. Pressure is less than half what it should be. Grrr ...

At least your getting hot water in shower....I'm trying to track down, why my shower is cold, but all faucets will give me hot.  I have Aqua Hot 450D  and it was serviced in Sep. by AH service center!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

At least your getting hot water in shower....I'm trying to track down, why my shower is cold, but all faucets will give me hot.  I have Aqua Hot 450D  and it was serviced in Sep. by AH service center!

You might have a piece of debris clogging the hot water side of the shower water faucet valve. If it's one that has replaceable cartridges and/or washers, you can open it and check. We just had a faucet at home with almost no hot water flow. All the other faucets were fine on hot, as were all the cold water taps. In the end there was a piece of debris about the size of a large pepper flake which had worked its way into the hot water side of the cartridge. It had wedged itself in there just right as pretty much blocked the flow. Doesn't take much to stop up the flow on a 3/8" OD tube (only 1/4" ID).

I can't remember, but don't you have a single lever faucet in the shower? Like Kay said it may be as simple as something in the hot water side. Do you have any water when you turn the handle all the water to hot only or do you get full pressure cold? If you get full pressure cold there may be an issue with the valve itself.

Herman

Herman, single lever, pressure is fine, goes from cold to hot, then starts cooling off after 2 minutes and COLD in one minute more!  Will check outside shower, after sunrise...if it's ok there, then it will confirm that I have a lever problem inside.  

Lloyd De Gerald, serviced my AH at Six State & left the fill cap off.  We put in 2 gallons of coolant at the house! :angry:

That's Richard.  Not Kay!

Plenty of Hot water in outside shower!  Problem is inside lever.  Now we have to find mixer valve...later. 

Bill E.  It's on the back burner, until Feb. 2019...We decided on a new Newmar Ventana, 43' ! :)

Can you determine the manufacturer? Hope it is a common one and one can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot or even Ferguson's.

One thing, maybe when it is disassembled it turns out to be just debris and all it requires is cleaning and putting it back together. 

Herman 

Our issue was with all taps, so most likely the check valve. Knock wood, it seems to be working again at full pressure - for now.

I think we need to get one of those prefilter apparatus set-ups so we don’t let hard water and sediment get into the system in the first place. Living in AZ and occasionally using the coach as a mobile casita for guests and/or escape pod (I will NEVER live in the house during remodeling, EVER again!), we have put some hard water into the tank. 

Carl, we had a similar issue.  The fix was swapping out the mixing valve....got to it by prying off the panel in back of the shower.  We have a 45T, might be different for you.

No back entry on mine...got to go in from front or take down the Hall mirror...we just tried the front, no way!  So, I will tackle that in the morning, just wish I had something to show, how it's set up in back, other than the hot/cold lines!  Yes, I will shut off all water to coach & AH.  Looked for & could not find a shut off valve to bathroom...I'm 45Y! 

dianahc.  I'm truly sorry for robbing your Post. :( We will help you also! :)

It’s all good - I turned the hot water on and off sharply from off to full and back several times and the pressure came back - at least for now. I had a nice shower this morning and washed dishes and the lav taps work. Maybe I knocked the debris out of the valve, or maybe it’s going to take a complete dump in the next few days. We get home on the 1st or 2nd. 

dianahc,

I have issues from time to time with hard water but it will be where bothe the hot and cold water will slow down. Each time it will be caused by calcium build up. I go through all my faucet and showerhead and clean them and will be back in business. 

Glad you have full pressure on all your Hot water faucets now. 

You will be getting your neighbors from the North soon if not some already.

Herman 

The snowbirds are coming! We have a few months of being back home in AZ while hubby gets a hernia repaired, then hitting the road again in the spring, I hope. I’m thinking the coach might be spending some time in the shop during that downtime. 

I’m thinking of having them look at the plumbing overall. The water system valves, the tank sensors (most don’t read remotely accurately), the R/O water system which I still don’t trust for water for my coffee or the cats (I just feel safer bringing bottled water and prefiltering through a Brita filter); the toilet ball valve, or possibly swapping out for a toilet that will work with a Toto washlet. Also, one of the tires seems to have a leaky/stuck valve stem; service the jacks; treat the seals and repair if necessary; have the roof looked at, including caulking; and have some surface repairs done (there’s a peeling patch of either clearcoat or paint on the rear, and SOMEBODY didn’t watch out for the orange tree branches on the left as he was making the left turn into a rather ample-sized space at our overnight stop in Bakersfield - we’ve got scratches all down the side of the rig).  And the door is sticking again and needs to be adjusted  - last year we almost go locked out and had to cancel an entire day’s visits waiting for a mobile locksmith.

I’d love to have the vinyl tile and old carpeting removed and replaced with wood laminate too, but that might have to wait until next year, cost-wise.

We got her a year ago and I want to get her serviced and fully up to snuff before our next trip, which may be a long one.

And I don’t want another start to the trip like this one. Last February, the windshield cracked while we were stationary. We got it replaced, and had barely used it since then (it was used as an extra apartment for a while, but only a few miles from home). We set out for the 700 mile drive from the Phoenix area here to the Gilroy area,  and as soon as we hit on the freeway, heard a terrible intermittent whistling that got worse. We pulled over at the rest stop west of Tonopaugh, and discovered the huge windshield was separated from the frame completely from the top and almost halfway down the sides. Long story somewhat shorter, I found a mobile tech to come from Quartzsite (under warranty, fortunately), who announced that the good news was he was not going to have to take the time to clean off the old glue, because (the bad news) there wasn’t any used when they installed it. !!! SMDH. He fixed it, we had to sit for a couple of hours to let the glue set before carefully driving to Quartzsite to spend the night, which made our trip take 3 days instead of 2, but that wasn’t a big deal. But it was stressful. 

I really like this coach, but she’s 11 years old, so (deferred by prior owner) maintenance issues need to be addressed. 

dianahc.  

If it's a company owned coach, you'll have a lot off write of money!  Otherwise, that's throwing a hunk of cash away!  There are a lot of windshields on coaches, that don't use glue, it's held in place by a gasket and they loss their elasticity over time!  Give a call to your coach manufacturers tech department.  

What's the make and model of your coach?

2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PDQ. 

It’s our personal coach. I’m not a fan of spending the money, but I’m also not a fan of stuff not working when we’re traveling. And while my husband is an expert at home remodeling, his expertise is not in plumbing or electrical, and he’s recovering from radiation therapy, so he’s not as strong or mobile as he used to be. Until he further recovers, he needs to save his strength for driving us. 

The mobile tech who repaired the windshield was surprised the installer hadn’t used glue. The gaskets are 11 years old.