mwking

Sewer Hose Storage - Valterra EZ Hose Carrier

My Coachmen Leprechaun (33' 319MB) on an E450 chassis does't have any secure (ie NOT the bumper) place that looks like it's designed to hold the sewer hose. Why companies don't build that in is a puzzlement to me since we all have one. I have a small storage compartment I have dedicated to all things sewer-related, and that works ok but not great. 

I see Valterra sells just what I think I want - EZ Hose Carrier (http://www.valterra.com/product/adjustable-ez-hose-carrier-50-94-white-boxed/?pcat_id=1747), So now the trick is where to put it under the coach. Is there anyone who has done this? I'm curious where you put it (looks like there's a place behind the rear wheels), and how you liked the result? Or do you all just use the square bumper tube?

Thanks! 

I have plenty room in the wet bay so I have no need for that item, but have installed some in the past. Before getting one of those, be sure to check the diameter of the female end flange fitting including the latch that covers he bayonet male end. The inner diameter is only 4.5 inches on the hose receptacle. Last one that I installed I had to use a different brand hose and fittings because those barbs on the end mentioned were too large to go inside. Just something to watch out for in case you do order one.

I have seen a storage tube, I don't know if it was the same one but it was attached under the rear bumper. Like Kay said make shure it is largenough that your hose and end fittings fit.

Bill

We have a similar storage tube, which is mounted across the bulkhead on a pass-through storage bay. You can see it on the upper right corner of the photo - it's black but otherwise the same as the one in your link.

When the sewer hose is stored in the tube with the end caps on it doesn't leak, but just in case we took a few precautionary steps. First, we tilted it ever so slightly down towards one end. Second, we used a 'feminine hygiene pad' under the lower end to catch any drips, should they occur. This is a trick we learned from a boating friend, who told us that they use these pads all the time in their engine room to keep the occasional oil drip from getting into the bilge water.

We take care to rinse the hose and shake out the excess water before storage, so far so good.

After we did all this, we ended up getting an extension hose. The extension hose is collapsible and has very tight end caps. It is stored fully compressed and gently coiled up inside the tub you see in the right side of the photo. I'd probably put both in there if I was to do it again.

1974 GMC 4108a-125 59.JPG

In the late 60's and 70's, 80's, we used a square metal box, 5"x 5" on top of bumper, just under the spare tire carrier.  In the 90's I had Richards set up and the last 18 years, like Kay it's in the bay!  If I had a class C, I would have a problem also.

mwking,

What type of sewer hose do you use? I use the RhinoFLEX Hose. it will compress from 15 feet into a length of 3 feet and stay compressed. This will help with space if you are using the blue hose.

Herman 

My old Coachman Santara had a holder built in under the coach. It allowed the hose to remain attached and it would swing out. You would unscrew the cap on the end of the PVC which was held in place by a chain then you would just grab the PVC tube and point it to the sewer connection, pull the hose out and connnect. 

It was nothing more than a PVC tube on a floor mounted swivel with a threaded end with a cap, small piece of chain mounted to the floor for support while traveling.

I do not have any photos but you could build one with PVC pipes from a home center 

I am using a Rhino hose, so I will check those dimensions. Not really interested in a big project to build something - the joy of this Valterra gizmo is that I just have to screw it on. 

This is for a Class C, so there's no pass-thru bay to put this in. Also means I don't have to worry about any drips since this is going under the coach. I do always rinse, but still...

Thanks for the thoughts!

I was thinking about this.. if you purchase the Valterra storage and mount it behind the rear axle, parallel and maybe drill some holes in it for air circulation you should be good. Mounting under the bumper would be the easiest but it’s likely you’d hit it. Closer to the axle the less likely you are to hit it pulling out. Our old C use to bottom out onto the hitch, I had to put wheels under the hitch for protection.