f433921

Poor Starting after Replacing Fuel Filters

Here is my response from Cummins on the over run on startup.

"It sounds like you did the normal process with the priming for the filter change. 

It may be just a fluke. However, if you really want to get to the root of it (with out fault codes), you would need to get it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic."

https://locator.cummins.com

Thank you for contacting Cummins.

Steve
Cummins Care Representative

[SR#: 1-74210452344]

If you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing care@cummins.com or by calling 1-800-CUMMINS (1-800-286-6467) within the U.S.  Additional calling options for outside the U.S. are provided on our website.  When contacting us, please refer to the SR (1-74210452344) number listed above, if applicable. 

Visit us at www.cummins.com  or  www.cumminsengines.com 

Not real technical answer.

Jim

just a thought, have you checked the drain on the bottom of the water separator filter? It could be open enough that fuel can't get out but air can get in.

Bill

Bill,

I removed the water separator filter today and found the sealing washer on the thread was a real loose fit, didn't find anything else that seem out of line, however I didn't check the tightness of the drain valve.

I had a spare water separator filter so I decided to install it.  The center sealing washer was a tight fit, I actually has to force it over the threads. I primed the system per instructions by cycling the on/off switch to activate the lift pump.  The engine started within what seemed like a reasonable amount of cranking considering that the filter had just been changed. The engine idled smooth and I then activated the fast idle until air pressure was built. One thing that I did notice that lift pump didn't run for a very long period when cycling the on/off switch, I could hear 2 distinct clicks each cycle, no near 30 sec. that is described during a normal start up. I seem to only remember 2 clicks as been normal for my rig.

I'm going to let it sit unit I get back home in a week and seen how it starts.

Thank for the responses from all form members.

What did you guys think about Cummins response on the over run on start up? It only happened 2 concessive and it has not repeated itself.

Jim 

Diagnostic is not cheap!   I think Steve knows what happened, but does not want to commit.  If it happens again, then head to Cummings!  You might want to have the pump looked at, when you get back! 

Did you fill up the coach with fuel & add a Biocide?  Peace of mind, while sipping a Mai Tai on the beach! :)

Sounds as though the problem is solved to me. Good job in doing the right things. A couple of clicks instead of running the full 30 seconds to me indicates that there is probably no leak down anymore once the system has filled. Of course if only a couple clicks after sitting a week, then start up immediately will be a dream come true.:rolleyes:

Got the biocide yesterday and will fill the tank today.

My dad was a marine engineer and from my early ages he would take me too work with him and he always preached to me that if you are troubleshooting  a problem the first question that you ask yourself is,  WHAT DID YOU DO LAST?. he would tell me that more likely than not you will find out that it may be contributed to the last repairs or service that was performed.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Jim

On 11/25/2018 at 10:09 PM, F433921 said:

What caused the fuel separator to loose it's prime?

Jim

Have no idea.  All three filters and the fuel/water separator were changed about three months and 2,000 miles before the problem.

The question often comes up in discussions of the "care and feeding" of diesel pushers:L

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHANGE FUEL FILTERS.

Fuel filters are one of the very few things for which there is NO average life.  If all they see is clean diesel, they can go several years.

But (actually LARGE BUT), one tank of contaminated diesel can take out a couple of sets of brand new filters.

One reason I like the primary filters with a clear bowl-- it allows one to get a visual check on fuel condition at a glance.