Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I had the basement heater fail to come on causing the water to freeze the last few years.  I have a backup electric heater that use 120 v but it will be good to have the system installed working.  The main problem is when the cargo heater fail to come on it freezes the pipes and we end up without water.  The reason why is the snap disk thermostat may or may not turn on as happen in Delaware during January 2017.  I pulled into the campground in zero degree weather and the first thing I noticed was no water.  Second thing was no cargo heat.  So the next day we were faced getting a backup heater to thaw things out.  No fun walking in freezing weather to use the restroom.  I had a left over thermostat from a old garage heater one decided why not go with a real thermostat with more control.   I didn't know how to put description after each picture so I hope you can follow in the order it was uploaded.  1 Snap disk, 2 Wires prepared for installation,  3 Wires installed for thermostat, snap disk disconnected, 4 Access panel being prepare for thermostat, 5 Access panel installed 6 Thermostat installed and set to 55 for testing, can be set as low as 35 but will be set at 40.  7 We have a working cargo heater

therm7.thumb.jpg.13fc5d4413f2705f2cc209a6cf8bb639.jpgtherm6.thumb.jpg.c6a67503fb9a841f10a4d4fd66fa1b59.jpgtherm5.thumb.jpg.31ac4dde3c52735c80b8ead2a7883435.jpgtherm4.thumb.jpg.4e7ad93318dd29bf876b3d00c4bee9ab.jpgtherm3.thumb.jpg.139f60cc7a9d2ceb4fbd315ad825de73.jpgtherm2.thumb.jpg.5a50965d01851f5223fc680f5d22d569.jpgtherm1.thumb.jpg.3790082d7627b1761edf96857998612b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray.

That should work well.  Is that SNOW your standing on?  If so, you two need to be in Yuma!!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want you could install a "Freeze Guard" like the do for Swimming pools. It will power up the pool motor when the temperature drop below 36 degrees F.  It can be plugged into any 110 Volt outlet in the coach or shore power. I had one on our pool when we lived in the city.

Herman  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The heater on Huff's rig is 12 V DC.

I had a similar problem on my rig which has the same setup as Huff's, I was able resolve the problem by cleaning all of the connection in the circuit.  The thermostat in the control circuit not the power circuit to the heating element.

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray.

That should work well.  Is that SNOW your standing on?  If so, you two need to be in Yuma!!! :lol:

No thats a painted garage floor.  We are going as far as Quartzsite this winter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

If you want you could install a "Freeze Guard" like the do for Swimming pools. It will power up the pool motor when the temperature drop below 36 degrees F.  It can be plugged into any 110 Volt outlet in the coach or shore power. I had one on our pool when we lived in the city.

Herman  

This is strictly 12 volts so it works while driving. 

 

8 hours ago, manholt said:

But you can't drive a pool..:lol:

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, F433921 said:

The heater on Huff's rig is 12 V DC.

I had a similar problem on my rig which has the same setup as Huff's, I was able resolve the problem by cleaning all of the connection in the circuit.  The thermostat in the control circuit not the power circuit to the heating element.

Jim

When it was on the blink the last time I jumped the thermostat terminals and heater turned on. It could of been the connection there but i didn't want to take a chance. Once its frozen too cold to work on. This way i can test the system before hitting the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the adjustable thermostat that you installed and should mine fail again I will install one.

Thanks for sharing your good idea.

Jim 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, F433921 said:

I like the adjustable thermostat that you installed and should mine fail again I will install one.

Thanks for sharing your good idea.

Jim 

It a simple 2 wire magnetic switch stat that can be used in barns to prevent freezing. That's why it go down to 35 but max at 75. Not a normal house thermostat but something you will find at farmer supply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have one like it in the main and secondary pump house!  Solar panel maintains the batteries.  Got it at Home Depot in the Garden section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I can attest to the fact that this modification  works.  Last few days we had cold weather as low as 28 and the thermostat  was turning it on and off as it should.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×