brianreed

Automatic steps going in and out on Coach

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 which has the two entry steps that go out automatically when you open the door in order to get into the coach.  There is a lockout button so when you are camping that it will remain out.  

It should work that when the coach is not running and the step is in automatic mode it remains retracted until the door is opened.  However when door is open the step extends then should retract when the door is closed, but what is happening instead is that the step will continually open about half way then retract, then try and open again sometimes fully extends, then back retracted.  All very quickly.

When I push the lockout extend switch it does stay fully extended.

Where should I start, is there a switch in the door or the step that I should find and check or damage?

Brian, look up underneath of the steps, they are usually switched open/close by a magnet. Similar to alarm contacts on a window. My top magnet came detached once and was swinging by the wires, all sorts of strange stuff was happening with my steps. Definitely start with lubing the pivot points. 

Excellent advice.  I will do both later today.  

Thanks so much, this is why I like FMCA so much and the only reason I initially purchased a membership because the forums were so helpful.  I have since used the windshield replacement referral, as well as the Verizon deal.  I am now signed up for like 3 years in advance.

Perhaps I will be able to meet some people some day or even pay back the information by helping someone else.

The last part, you can do here or out there.  At National or International (Like Perry) Rally's, we try to have a Meet & Greet...Your welcome!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

At National or International (Like Perry) Rally's, we try to have a Meet & Greet...Your welcome!

Does anyone want to have a get together in Perry like we did in Gillette?

In Perry we had several folks come by my coach and had some nice exchange of thoughts. I once again found out that "The First Liar Doesn't Stand A Chance" :lol::rolleyes::lol:

I will set up something if you would like.

Herman

Sounds like a great idea.

Sorry Dianne and I will not be there.  Sail boat is already in LaBelle Florida. 

After Xmas rent car to the boat and head to the Bahamas for the winter. 

I can already hear the lobsters whispering-- dinner your place!

Hey, driving a motorhome is a LOT less work than the sailboat.  And a LOT faster!

But, hard to cross the Gulf Stream in a motorhome!

We be right behind Brett...Cruising between Lone Star meetings, out of Galveston...Brett knows the route!  We may fly to Cayman for a month! :D All things seafood.

Thought I would let everyone know what the issue was.  I went to go lube the steps and saw that the step covers I installed last summer the bottom one has become unhinged at the bottom.  I took that bottom cover off and they operated just fine.  As far as I can tell it was hanging up on the arms somehow and causing the step to reverse back in and trying to open again with no luck, over and over again.  They are very thin almost felt like steps covers that held on the bottom by springs.  Cheap from Walmart.

Totally a self caused problem! 

Thanks for letting us know the fix, I personally prefer the stick on ones that feel like sandpaper. Available at most RV stores and I have found them at Walmart in the automotive dept.

23 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Thanks for letting us know the fix, I personally prefer the stick on ones that feel like sandpaper. Available at most RV stores and I have found them at Walmart in the automotive dept.

Yes if you can't find it ask one of the young guys where the "skateboard" tape is.:P

Bill

Our steps already have the sand paper stuff on the steps.  We just liked the covers it was so nice and smooth.  We used them like a doormat.  I do not miss them now though, so problem solved.

On 11/26/2018 at 3:03 PM, kaypsmith said:

I would start with a good lubrication job (preferably a dry lube) on all moving parts of that assembly.

👍 It's easy to forget Kwikee says to lubricate the steps monthly.

Brianreed; Since they are triggered by high resistance, if/when they bind from lack of lubrication, the motor controller shuts off power to the motor.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, wolfe10 said:

Hey, driving a motorhome is a LOT less work than the sailboat.  And a LOT faster!

But, hard to cross the Gulf Stream in a motorhome!

But_but, the GPS shows you can, it's even a straight line there.

If you really prefer to take a boat, check this out https://uncrate.com/xsmg-xsr48-speedboat/

10 years old?

Brett is into Sail Boats or a combo Sail/motor cruiser...great for Intracostal canal.  I'm into 42 foot Cat. Also, coach!