studebrucer

Truck washes for our coaches

We have been on the road for two moths, 6 more to go. The coach is filthy on the outside. We have not stayed anywhere that will allow us to wash the coach. 

Has anyone fond a nationally based Truck or RV wash they re satisfied with? Any ideas on a reasonable cost?  Is this a service you can pulling off the road, and have the coach cleaned while you wait?

Thanks

Blue Beacon is nation wide, at large Truck stops like Pilot, Flying J, Petro.  When  I used to wash coach, I used them...just get in line and pull in, like a car wash.  For my 45 foot and Toad, it's $63 for wash & wax!

I use Slick Mist by Lucas...get it at Wall Mart and most Auto Stores...spray on, wipe off with micro cloth!  Other than what I get from rain, have not washed coach in 4 years now!

I agree with Carl.  I have used Blue Beacon 4 or 5 times.  Cost about 60 for my 40 ft MH.  I use "Wash Wax All" to clean the MH.  Also wipe on wipe off.  Has UV protection and is easy and works well.  I haven't waxed in 3 years.

Here is the link to Blue Beacon's website.  They also have an app for Android and iPhone. https://bluebeacon.com/  

They have something like 300+ locations.   We have used them frequently to wash the MH and toad over the last dozen years or so,

I have also used Blue Beacon. If you use them or any other wash be sure to tell them not to spray the coach vents for refrigerator.

52 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

I have also used Blue Beacon. If you use them or any other wash be sure to tell them not to spray the coach vents for refrigerator.

This is a very important point. We actually had this happen once and our fridge didn't run right for a few days following until it dried out.  

I have since fashioned a plastic shield that I place behind the lowet vent cover whenever we stop for a wash. We turn the fridge off as a precaution until I remove it after the wash. Has worked well

Wash-Wax-All, have been using it for several years. If it's good for the aircraft industry it's good for me. Haven't waxed the RV's I have owned.

I've yet to use a "truck wash" because I have the perception/fear of high pressure water finding its way behind slide-out seals, into the refrigerator and hot water heater vents, etc.   Also high pressure soap/water (i.e. brush-less) car washes do not do a good job removing road film from my Jeep or the wife's Infiniti.  Thus I've hand washed my motorhome when needed using a big bucket, Mequiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax, and long handle brush followed by hand-drying from a ladder with the "Absorber" synthetic chamois.   It's a very robust 2-3 hour 'shoulders, back and arms" work-out each time I wash my motorhome.  The end result is always a nice, clean, shiny motorhome!

What is Blue Beacon's washing process?  If only high pressure soap and water, does their process do a good job of removing road film?  Also, from my motorhome storage location near Richmond, TX, it would be a 45 - 60 minute drive to the nearest Blue Beacon truck wash on the far northeast / east sides of Houston meaning a 2-3 hour adventure same as I have now.   Is the $65'ish cost worth this lengthy round-trip drive?

As always, I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts from the forum.

p.s. I usually ruin the benefits of my 2--3 hour motorhome washing workout with a couple of high calorie craft beers after the workout is completed.....

3 hours ago, fagnaml said:

I've hand washed my motorhome when needed using a big bucket, Mequiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax, and long handle brush followed by hand-drying from a ladder with the "Absorber" synthetic chamois.   It's a very robust 2-3 hour 'shoulders, back and arms" work-out each time I wash my motorhome.  The end result is always a nice, clean, shiny motorhome!

What is Blue Beacon's washing process?  If only high pressure soap and water, does their process do a good job of removing road film?  

Yes. Generally a  high pressure soap and water wash and usually a good wash with the coach and toad clean. 

Dont get me wrong, when at home I wash my MH using and long handle brush like you. 

Blue Beacon is our choice when on the road..

And yes, I would very much like a "wash-bot" too!

Like others, when we're out with a messy MH, I fill a bucket with water and use a terry rag to wipe off the heavy accumulations.  I rinse the rag several times and wring out the excess water.  To start off, I don't intend to do them whole thing at once.  Start with the front, then just one panel before deciding if one more would be too much and another if I'm still feeling up to it. If not, I get the rest the next day.  With all the grime off, wiping it down with Protect-All (preferred), Wash-Wax-All, Dri-Wash and  Guard, Slick Mist or something similar is easy - and you don't need to do it all at once.  You don't need a hose sprayer to flood the side of your unit to get it shining like new.  At most I'll use two or three buckets of water and no one's every got after me yet for using that method. 

If a large accumulation of dirt mixed with road grime I do what Moonwink does except I just wet the rag and slosh and wipe the grime off. Doesn't matter if there are spots as the Wash-Wax-All will take care of that.

There are truck washing places besides Blue Beacon. We stopped at one on the South side of Las Vegas. I asked about washing our 5er and would they please not use a power washer. They used their soap N water with long-handled brushes which looked like they were 2' wide , the rinse was garden hoses with a wide spray nozzle.

Carl the 5er was the last time we visited LV, so yes it was the last commercial wash.  I've always washed our MH myself because I'm retired now.