watson

Any tips for traveling route 66 from Iowa?

Question

My wife and I live in Iowa and would like to take a trip along Route 66. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? We have a Class A motor coach and tow a car.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan & Carol Hansen

13 answers to this question

image.jpeg.415e31033f71ff936101b38fededb024.jpeg
Since the highway was decommissioned, Route 66 no longer exists on modern maps. In some places, in fact, the physical road is unpaved and virtually impassable. However, you can still follow some of theoriginal road in your car. In many states, Route 66parallels the interstate highway.

We driven it a few times between Chicago and St. Louis.

image.png.7373d8f22c0d4cdd09352f9693488625.png

There are sections with some of the original road-side attractions, cafes, etc. Other sections have been taken over by the Interstate, and other sections are no longer in good enough condition to actually drive on.

Check out sites like this to see if you can find a section you want to travel:

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/maps66.html

Depending on which part of Route 66 you want to visit, there are some that are still well maintained and great for travel. Best to do a little research though.

I have taken it in Arizona and California, in various coaches....not a fast road and few parts have a yellow divider

On 11/30/2018 at 3:03 PM, manholt said:

Are you going to Chicago or West Los Angeles?  What time of year?

We're going to West Los Angeles late April or early March. We haven't firmed that up yet.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:25 PM, elkhartjim said:
image.jpeg.415e31033f71ff936101b38fededb024.jpeg
Since the highway was decommissioned, Route 66 no longer exists on modern maps. In some places, in fact, the physical road is unpaved and virtually impassable. However, you can still follow some of theoriginal road in your car. In many states, Route 66parallels the interstate highway.

That's what we're finding out from some of the reading we've done. 

Thanks for your tips we appreciate it.

On 11/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, richard5933 said:

We driven it a few times between Chicago and St. Louis.

image.png.7373d8f22c0d4cdd09352f9693488625.png

There are sections with some of the original road-side attractions, cafes, etc. Other sections have been taken over by the Interstate, and other sections are no longer in good enough condition to actually drive on.

Check out sites like this to see if you can find a section you want to travel:

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/maps66.html

Depending on which part of Route 66 you want to visit, there are some that are still well maintained and great for travel. Best to do a little research though.

I'll check this site out and do some research. I really appreciate your input. 

Thanks 

On 11/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. 

I would do some more research. As Jim said Route 66 is no longer an official highway. Much of itis hidden under I-40 but there are some places you can drive the old road.

https://www.theroute-66.com/attractions.html

Bill

I'm finding that out........we'll definitely need to do some research. Since we won't be leaving till March or April we've got a little time.

Thanks for your help Bill.

Dan

16 minutes ago, Watson said:

I'm finding that out........we'll definitely need to do some research. Since we won't be leaving till March or April we've got a little time.

Thanks for your help Bill.

Dan

I just checked out the link you sent Bill and this is perfect. Much appreciated.

Thanks again

Some outher Route 66 items. ABQ is big on R66.

https://independenttravelcats.com/finding-historic-route-66-in-albuquerque-new-mexico/

Spent a couple days at this old R66 motel/RV park while exploring The Petrified Forest National Park out near Holbrook, AZ sunvalleyrvresort.com. Old original sines and original buildings. Little rough but authentic 66.  Stayed in the Rv so it didn't matter what the rooms were like.:D

Bill

Watson.

When were you last in WLA?  Taking a coach in, is not an option, unless your willing to spend thousand's on special permits!  The only RV park around, was outside Malibu and it burned last month!  You are allowed on I-405, not Sepulveda or other roads...don't ask how I know! 

Historic Route 66/Will Rogers Highway is in our plans for a wide loop of the U.S.A. this coming summer. This is in my opinion the most complete website for Historic Route 66  I've found on the web.

We have driven portions of 66 in AZ, Gallup, Holbrook, Winslow, etc., but never the entire remaining roads.