dianahc

Heating Class A Coach While Driving

Dumbish question: we’re traveling home from a visit with our kids in CA, taking the inland route down I-5, through Bakersfield, the Tehachapis, stopping for the night in Barstow, then on to Phoenix tomorrow. We have a new-to-us 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PDQ. 

Without editorializing about my choice to ride on the bed rather than the passenger seat (tailbone issues), how do we heat the bedroom while driving? It’s chilly outside and getting pretty cold back here. Do I have to turn on the generator and run the heat pump? It’s going to be below 40 if it’s not already. Or is it OK to use the propane furnace while driving? I’ve looked through the manual and didn’t see anything that explained it. 

Thanks!

Propane furnace is just fine.  Assuming anywhere close to recommended installation,  they are designed to be used while driving down the road.

I agree with Brett ! The only thought I would add, is check the furnace while parked Before driving the coach down the road.

Make sure it cycles properly, burns evenly,and the blower motor runs smoothly.

Safe and comfortable Travels!

Rich.

Also, if it's the first time to run the furnace for the season, use a flashlight to check for nests in the exhaust opening before firing it up. Never know what you're gonna find...

No problem, stay warm and enjoy the trip.

PS you can also leave the water heater on so you can have hot water to wash your hands after "rest stops".:D

Bill

Thanks everyone! 

I’ll wait until my chauffeur needs a potty break before turning it on. We have a full tank of propane and barely used any so far  on this trip - the heat pump worked just fine just south of Gilroy, as it didn’t get much if at all below 40, but we’re going to need it tonight in Barstow. 

I doubt anything would have built a nest on the RV during the **** that is Phoenix in the summer, but I’ll check it at our next stop - oops, right now! 

After finishing fueling, I checked exhaust pipes, and fiddled with the thermostat controls to figure out how to just turn on the rear furnace and voila! Comfy! Thanks!

58 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

PS you can also leave the water heater on so you can have hot water to wash your hands after "rest stops".:D

Bill

I would if the check valve from the water heater hadn’t crapped out on us several days ago. 😡 (Although it inexplicably worked this morning, and I didn’t have to shower in the public bathroom, so who knows!)

If you have a 12v circuit for the furnace, it should run just fine without running the generator. Not sure if you can run the water heater without the generator. Of course, if you have an AquaHot or similar system then you should be able to get both heat and hot water on 12v.

If, as I suspect, both water heater and furnace are propane/12 VDC, you are good to go.  Absolutely no need for generator. 

The alternator will supply the needed 12 VDC to keep the batteries charged.

Yup - I do know that the water heater (and fridge) can be run on propane/12V while driving, but without confirmation, I didn’t want to turn on the furnace. Odd that I couldn’t find that explained in the manual. 

We haven’t done much cold weather camping yet, and our first coach was a much more basic gasser - so even after 4.5 years, we’re still learning!

Someone on another board suggested that driving with the propane tank on is illegal in some states and provinces? Other than in tunnels, is this true?

Basically only in some tunnels. I don't know about all of Canada. I turned my propane on when I left home in June and didn't turn it off till after I got back in September.

Bill

"Driving with the propane tank on is illegal in some states and provinces?"

Illegal in Canada? Not to my knowledge.  Never heard of it being illegal in any state either.  Our propane is always on when traveling. Except in tunnels that require it to be off. 

OK, I’m glad that my skepticism was correct. Our old rig was a 30 amp gasser with only propane heat, and we never shut it off either. But it’s reassuring to get confirmation that we haven’t been stupid or illegal 

Ditto Bill ! This exchange has brought a Question to the forefront. 

If LP system needs to be disabled for some Tunnels, Then does the same rule apply to the new CNG powered Tractor Trailers? or do they just need to avoid them.

Rich.

Most ferry's require that you shut off the propane & engine, while in motion on the water.  Distance has nothing to do with it.  USA, can't speak for Canada!

I had to shut the propane off when traveling the Bolivar/Galveston ferry but I didn't have to on the Aransas Pass/Port Aransas ferry.  Both in Texas.

Rich, who will turn the CNG off on the self driving tractors that are in the future?

25 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I had to shut the propane off when traveling the Bolivar/Galveston ferry but I didn't have to on the Aransas Pass/Port Aransas ferry.  Both in Texas.

Rich, who will turn the CNG off on the self driving tractors that are in the future?

Might need to program the computers and use a pony to move them around at times. Back to the days of Canals and Mules  LOL ! One Step Forward an 2 steps back !

Rich.

Kind of like the Ion-Lith batteries that are now available in some High End coaches and a lot of "green cars".  Horrible for the environment and echo system....Oh well.  Riding a bomb! :angry:  

When running heat with registers in the floor check that they are not under anything when the slides are in. If so, close them.

Fortunately there was only one baseboard vent in the bedroom and it is just barely exposed when the slide is in. 

In Canada it is just for ferrys you have to turn the gas off 

or if you have standing pilot equipment (old) then you can not drive with it on 

9 hours ago, DickandLois said:

just need to avoid them.

Rich.

Rich, correct, you need to go over the harbor on the bridge, not under it in the tunnel. I get funny looks going through it with ours.

Funny story,

we bought our first coach in February 2008, at the time of pick up, the RV dealer did a walk around, showed me how to do everything, took us 4+ hours, water was connected, we winterized if afterwards etc.... He explained that the furnace was 110 volts and didn't work without the generator or shore power connected. Fast forward spring 2009 we dry camped on Assateague island. Night time temperatures dropped into the 40's and we had no electric, National Park rule, no generators allowed after certain hours. So the first night we snuggled down with heavy blankets etc. The in the morning I started the generator and turned on the furnace to knock the chill off, (you could see your breath inside). Later than night sitting around the fire with a bunch of friends, our furnace comes on all by itself, I jump up everyone asks me whats wrong, I had a puzzled look on my face I explain that our furnace is 110 volts and I have no idea why or how it just turned on, well needless to say it was a 12v unit, we froze the night before and a few nights the previous year for no reason. Funny now....well I thought it was funny then and so did everyone around the fire except my DW :lol: