dianahc

Heating Class A Coach While Driving

10 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Ditto Bill ! This exchange has brought a Question to the forefront. 

If LP system needs to be disabled for some Tunnels, Then does the same rule apply to the new CNG powered Tractor Trailers? or do they just need to avoid them.

Rich.

I'm guess that it has more to do with the possibility of an open flame existing in an RV or motor home with the LP turned on. The CNG powered vehicles are not supposed to have an open flame, and they come from the factory with appropriate safety measures in place. Since there is no way for them to know what's connected and being used in an RV (like a pilot or furnace flame, or maybe even a cooktop) best to just turn them all off.

8 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I'm guess that it has more to do with the possibility of an open flame existing in an RV or motor home with the LP turned on. The CNG powered vehicles are not supposed to have an open flame, and they come from the factory with appropriate safety measures in place. Since there is no way for them to know what's connected and being used in an RV (like a pilot or furnace flame, or maybe even a cooktop) best to just turn them all off.

They are concerned with an accident breaching the lines and venting LPG into the tunnel. They also do not allow a certain amount of LPG or CNG tanks in the tunnel. It appears to be an issue from many angles they are concerned with. I got a lecture one trip through that had more detail than the regulations below. Diesel fuel tankers are not an issue through the tunnels. the Chesapeake Bay Bridge you can run through with Propane, but must be shut off at the valve on the supply tank.

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

So I guess with the open flame theory they need to confiscate all my butane lighters I use for fire starting. Who knows, I may want to light a candle while driving through a tunnel.

I'm thankful Dianahc was able to have heat inside the coach while traveling and hopefully her back issues are getting better.

My 1998 HR Endeavor has a heater core and blower under the bed so if the the engine running it will blow warm air into the bedroom. It also has a  heat exhanger the hot water tank.

FYI, heat pumps do not work well below approx. 40-45°F outside temperature, depending on % humidity.